Obligatory trophy thoughts and game discussion

Hertz

29 minutes ago, FOX said:

Haven't bought this game purely because I disagree with trophies that can be bought. When you can bypass the original requirement for a trophy (list) which is already poor in the first place, I'm not supportive of that, nor would I be supportive of any trend of the sort. Luckily, it does not look like it will be ever the direction we will be headed in. The whole trophy list in itself is meaningless, void of all merit. I will never support a game which drastically and cheapens the outlook on a system which adds a good extra dimension to gaming. 

I understand and agree that what they did with the trophies was really shitty BUT I don't think this factor is worth giving up on the entire game for. The rest of the game is magnificent, and while I myself am reticent towards using such strong language towards a still-fresh game, many have called it the definitive game of the 8th generation, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't have a generally positive opinion on the game. Are you sure you want to miss out on such an experience that you MAY find very engaging, just because you want to protest this one feature it contains? Not trying to force your hand of course, I just think it's worth reconsidering maybe. Anyway, that's my two cents, and you can do whatever you want obviously :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

I understand and agree that what they did with the trophies was really shitty BUT I don't think this factor is worth giving up on the entire game for. The rest of the game is magnificent, and while I myself am reticent towards using such strong language towards a still-fresh game, many have called it the definitive game of the 8th generation, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't have a generally positive opinion on the game. Are you sure you want to miss out on such an experience that you MAY find very engaging, just because you want to protest this one feature it contains? Not trying to force your hand of course, I just think it's worth reconsidering maybe. Anyway, that's my two cents, and you can do whatever you want obviously :)

If you don't agree with something, you don't have support it. I refuse to give financial support to something so ridiculous. I really wanted to play it, wasn't even interested in the trophy list, but sometimes you have to keep true to some principles. I will never play this game. One feature is enough. A feature that could very well start off a trend which beats the whole purpose of this website for example. I'll gladly pass if it means some consistency in my own thinking. I'd rather be someone who stands by his principles than someone who makes exceptions to them as he sees fit. 

Edited by FOX

On 4/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, FOX said:

If you don't agree with something, you don't have support it. I refuse to give financial support to something so ridiculous. I really wanted to play it, wasn't even interested in the trophy list, but sometimes you have to keep true to some principles. I will never play this game. One feature is enough. A feature that could very well start off a trend which beats the whole purpose of this website for example. I'll gladly pass if it means some consistency in my own thinking. I'd rather be someone who stands by his principles than someone who makes exceptions to them as he sees fit. 

You don't have to pay for the trophies with game currency, it's optional.  You can go earn them in game by doing the requirements if you want.

FYI, you have to play through the entire game multiple times before that unlock even becomes an option... so you might as well just play the game if you want to.  If not, why else are you even here?  

Edited by Stevieboy
Unnecessary comments
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

You don't have to pay for the trophies with game currency, it's optional.  You can go earn them in game by doing the requirements if you want.

FYI, you have to play through the entire game multiple times before that unlock even becomes an option... so you might as well just play the game if you want to.  If not, why else are you even here?  

It's a simple principle. To put it in an analogy. In a hypothetical scenario, JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books has her books printed through slave labour in some forgotten city. What some of you are saying is: you may not agree with slave labour, but don't let that get in the way of enjoying the Harry Potter books. You see, it strikes me as quite remarkable that people like you, who aren't even on the leaderboards anymore, are going to stigmatize my principle for no good reason, really. What is the purpose of this post? Is it to shit talk? Is it to virtue signal? Is it to assert some dominance? Because I care very little for either of those. Nor do I care for how you can actually obtain trophies, all I care for is that the feature is in it and that I refuse to financially support a game which violates my principles. It's a soft principle as this is trophies we are talking about here, but it's a principle nonetheless.

Edited by Stevieboy
Clean up for previous edit.

6 hours ago, FOX said:

To put it in an analogy. In a hypothetical scenario, JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books has her books printed through slave labour in some forgotten city. What some of you are saying is: you may not agree with slave labour, but don't let that get in the way of enjoying the Harry Potter books.

I wasn't going to say anything, but oh boy comparing something like trophies to slave labor is rich.

In all honesty you're doing yourself a disservice by writing this game off because of the shop, clearly you are passionate about gaming and I feel like this game would really speak to someone like you if you gave it a shot.

Edited by Stevieboy
Unnecessary comment
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ShakeNBake663 said:

I wasn't going to say anything, but oh boy comparing something like trophies to slave labor is rich.

In all honesty you're doing yourself a disservice by writing this game off because of the shop, clearly you are passionate about gaming and I feel like this game would really speak to someone like you if you gave it a shot.

I am not comparing it to slave labour as in it carries the same weight, it's called an analogy for a reason. It's inventing a hypothetical scenario to demonstrate why something is logical or illogical. A lot of people apparently don't comprehend what an analogy actually is. It's not putting the same weight on both things, at all. I even state it's a soft principle as it's trophies we're talking about. The point of the analogy is that they are both principles and to demonstrate that you should not play or support something that goes against your principles just because it's good. 

I am absolutely convinced that this game would be right up my alley, but as I stated in my earlier analogy. Just because something is good, or is up your alley, doesn't mean you should support it. 

Edited by Stevieboy
Clean up for previous edit.

Just now, FOX said:

I am not comparing it to slave labour, it's called an analogy for a reason. It's inventing a hypothetical scenario to demonstrate why something is logical or illogical. A lot of people apparently don't comprehend what an analogy actually is. It's not putting the same weight on both things, at all. I even state it's a soft principle as it's we're trophies we're talking about. The point of the analogy is that they are both principles and do demonstrate that you should not play or support something that goes against your principles just because it's good. 

I am absolutely convinced that this game would be right up my alley, but as I stated in my earlier analogy. Just because something is good, or is up your alley, doesn't mean you should support it. 

I'm completely aware of what an analogy is, but you have to admit that the jump is a little excessive. Either way, you do you and I'm sorry you're missing out on a great game. Have a good one :)

• Like 2

Just now, ShakeNBake663 said:

I'm completely aware of what an analogy is, but you have to admit that the jump is a little excessive. Either way, you do you and I'm sorry you're missing out on a great game. Have a good one :)

If you're completely aware of what an analogy is, then you know that taking jumps does not matter as it's an analogy. It can be more extreme, it can be less extreme, as long as it makes a point. And don't worry about it, I'll live not having played this game. 

On 2/5/2017 at 4:17 AM, DARKB1KE said:

Saves time grinding weapons and materials.  As a trophy hunter shouldn't this be a good thing to you? 

First of all I am not someone that play videogames just to collect the trophies, I'm a RPG completist player and that means that I like to achieve the 100% of the games that I play. Second of all, time consuming and grinding are typically something that are always present in RPG games, also these things are like a "mark" or a "symbol" that make a Role Playing Game...a RPG game. So, you're arguing about something that you don't really know, for example I don't see any benefit to unlock the Inorganic Blade trophy with the in-game coins 'cause it won't allow you to unlock the second secret boss fight wit' Emil.

I like to know everything about the games that I play if it's possible because I spent money and time to have 'em. I like to know about the plot, the lore and the mechanics of these games, that's a goddamn RPG.

Soooo, why do I have to buy trophies without complete that particular objective that would normally allow me to achieve those trophies? I'm not playin' the game if I resort to buy the trophies, I only wasted my money for it.

On 29/04/2017 at 10:23 PM, FOX said:

Haven't bought this game purely because I disagree with trophies that can be bought. When you can bypass the original requirement for a trophy (list) which is already poor in the first place, I'm not supportive of that, nor would I be supportive of any trend of the sort. Luckily, it does not look like it will be ever the direction we will be headed in. The whole trophy list in itself is meaningless, void of all merit. I will never support a game which drastically and cheapens the outlook on a system which adds a good extra dimension to gaming. 

Your priorities are a bit backwards if you're judging a game for its trophies.

1 minute ago, TooruPT said:

Your priorities are a bit backwards if you're judging a game for its trophies.

I am not judging a game for its trophies. I am not agreeing with a feature in that game, I hardly judge the whole game by it. Seriously, it is that hard to actually read what I am saying? 

Edited by FOX

Just now, FOX said:

I am not judging a game for its trophies. I am not agreeing with a feature in that game, I hardly judge the whole game by it. Seriously, it is that hard to actually read what I am saying? 

If Square was making this whole trophy shop an actual selling point, I'd agree with you completely. But that was never the intention, they barely mentioned it. It's just an eccentric feature from an eccentric game, like the Deadpool game giving you one for getting off the couch. Heck, even the shop NPC has that whole "go on I'm not gonna judge you (I am totally judging you and you should be ashamed)" tone to her.

You're not really making a statement by boycotting something for a barely spoken of feature that's not supposed to become a trend. The game did sell very well but I sincerely doubt a publisher will ever look back at it and go "you know I bet the trophy selling thing was the main reason, we should try that".

• Like 2

Just now, TooruPT said:

If Square was making this whole trophy shop an actual selling point, I'd agree with you completely. But that was never the intention, they barely mentioned it. It's just an eccentric feature from an eccentric game, like the Deadpool game giving you one for getting off the couch. Heck, even the shop NPC has that whole "go on I'm not gonna judge you (I am totally judging you and you should be ashamed)" tone to her.

You're not really making a statement by boycotting something for a barely spoken of feature that's not supposed to become a trend. The game did sell very well but I sincerely doubt a publisher will ever look back at it and go "you know I bet the trophy selling thing was the main reason, we should try that".

An eccentric feature I don't agree with. I am barely boycotting anything, nor do I think I am doing the world a favour or have some higher moral standard. It's just a principle I don't wish to break. And it's an understandable and reasonable point of view. People just like to be overly dramatic about things. Depicting me as some zealous moralist out to get the evil big trophy sellers with in game currency. If you want to do it, or if someone else wishes to, all power to you. That being said, I fully understand when people say I am still missing out. But that's perfectly fine with me and I am pretty stubborn when it comes to principles. I don't really wish to talk about this for much longer, I'm sure it's a great game and with fantastic combat at it's Platinum Games we're talking about it. Who knows, maybe in the future I might just decide to buy it. But for now: 

646173fa44795daa6dad5b278c6e8079_its-a-n

• Like 1

I'm not trying to push you into buying it or anything, just saying you probably misunderstood what they were going for with that. If you do understand it then well, it's your decision and I'll respect it.

Edited by TooruPT
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2017 at 3:06 PM, SonPais said:

First of all I am not someone that play videogames just to collect the trophies, I'm a RPG completist player and that means that I like to achieve the 100% of the games that I play. Second of all, time consuming and grinding are typically something that are always present in RPG games, also these things are like a "mark" or a "symbol" that make a Role Playing Game...a RPG game. So, you're arguing about something that you don't really know, for example I don't see any benefit to unlock the Inorganic Blade trophy with the in-game coins 'cause it won't allow you to unlock the second secret boss fight wit' Emil.

I like to know everything about the games that I play if it's possible because I spent money and time to have 'em. I like to know about the plot, the lore and the mechanics of these games, that's a goddamn RPG.

Soooo, why do I have to buy trophies without complete that particular objective that would normally allow me to achieve those trophies? I'm not playin' the game if I resort to buy the trophies, I only wasted my money for it.

Why are you on this website then?  It's for trophy hunters.