Review Roundup: Persona 5

StrickenBiged

1 minute ago, StrickenBiged said:

Point taken. Like I say I haven't played Andromeda but that article does make it sound like very clumsy inclusion indeed! 

I was making the broader point that mere inclusion isn't pandering, which some people who express an opinion on this sort of thing seem to think. Clumsy inclusion would tend to indicate that the writers were only interested in having the character for the sake of ticking a box on the inclusivity checklist, rather than actually caring about the writing. 

I agree with you that just the inclusion of these minorities isn't pandering. I just find it absurd that games get marked down or judged for not representing every minority out there. I don't agree with diversity for diversity's sake. If a developer has has a vision for their game that only has white males, then so be it. Who gives a shit!? I can enjoy a game playing as a different race, gender, or sexuality than me. I don't go into games looking to play as a main character that perfectly represents myself. I can do that in real life. lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GlennRhee said:

I guess in fairness I should mention that Persona 2 didn't come over to the west until the early 2010's. I don't think there's any confirmation what, exactly, led to it being avoided, though the two commonly cited reasons are the gay romance and the fact that Hitler is in it. It could be that they're trying to avoid their game being "banned" in the west, but...P2 came out in the 90s, and gay romances are more accepted now. It would have been nice to see them include the option.

If you can get past the dated combat, I really recommend P2. Innocent Sin has one of the more memorable casts, IMO. It should be available on PSN for Vita-owners.

Eh, if they plan on making an anime like they did with P4 they probably didn't even think about extending the whole relationship mechanic.  If I made a character that would be shown across multiple types of media I'd like it portrayed as what I created.

Mmmm, I guess a good example of a game portrayed via multiple types of media would be the Witcher.  The game allows you to explore "options" but it holds true to the story as far as I know.

Anyways, super excited for this game!  Going to finish my SO5 play through and start this up next week!

1 hour ago, Jounochi said:

Eh, if they plan on making an anime like they did with P4 they probably didn't even think about extending the whole relationship mechanic.  If I made a character that would be shown across multiple types of media I'd like it portrayed as what I created.

Mmmm, I guess a good example of a game portrayed via multiple types of media would be the Witcher.  The game allows you to explore "options" but it holds true to the story as far as I know.

Anyways, super excited for this game!  Going to finish my SO5 play through and start this up next week!

I don't watch anime so I honestly don't know how they handled it in the P4 anime, but my guess would be that they avoided committing to any one girl so as not to alienate shippers. They could still have done that with a bisexual protag.

Truly, I'd be satisfied with a social link that featured a gay character but wasn't romantic in nature. I don't like the fact that in P5, they (spoilers)

Spoiler

once again go with the predatory gay stereotype as their only representation and tease both Yuuki/MC and Yusuke/MC in their respective routes.

I mean, like I said, I've got the game on preorder and expect to love it, but I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with one aspect.

Edited by GlennRhee

On 3/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, StrickenBiged said:

I was making the broader point that mere inclusion isn't pandering, which some people who express an opinion on this sort of thing seem to think. Clumsy inclusion would tend to indicate that the writers were only interested in having the character for the sake of ticking a box on the inclusivity checklist, rather than actually caring about the representation. 

Like you said diversity itself isn't the problem, but shoehorning diversity to sacrifice the quality of story is.

Edit: Anyways onto more relevant matters, I've finished the first dungeon with 12 hours of gameplay. Long first impressions review coming soon as I've waited too long for what's turning out to be an excellent game so far, maybe even more so than I had expected.

Edited by jaehyun1009
  • Like 1

Finnish gaming magazine Pelaaja (Gamer) gave Persona 5 10/10. Here's a translation of the closing words of their review:

"Persona 5 celebrates the series' 25 year long journey with style that both respects its heritage and dares to take it forward confidently."