Guardian of the Pond Trophy

IDJvsTHEWORLD

Hey, I'm just starting my 3rd playthrough now to clean up my last few trophies.

One of them is this Guardian of the Pond trophy. Since I have all trophies other than this and the plat, what is the earliest I can get this trophy? 

Also, what is the best way to catch that fish?

I just got it yesterday. One thing it doesn't tell you is that you need your proficiency maxed out before you can see the Guardian in the waters on your 7th attempt. Before that, it wouldn't appear at all for me; even on rainy days.

What I did was load up a prior save on my first playthrough and worked on getting all the rods and the two good lures. 

I think the earliest you can start doing it is in June, when Ryuji invites you to go to the pond.

1 minute ago, Valyrious said:

I just got it yesterday. One thing it doesn't tell you is that you need your proficiency maxed out before you can see the Guardian in the waters on your 7th attempt. Before that, it wouldn't appear at all for me; even on rainy days.

What I did was load up a prior save on my first playthrough and worked on getting all the rods and the two good lures. 

I think the earliest you can start doing it is in June, when Ryuji invites you to go to the pond.

Any tips on catching it when it spawns?

What rod/bait should I use?

And do I drag it as close to the shore as possible?

3 minutes ago, IvanGosu- said:

Any tips on catching it when it spawns?

What rod/bait should I use?

And do I drag it as close to the shore as possible?

People like to bait it as close as they can to where you're fishing so that it's super easy to pull in. Honestly, I lured it about half way, since there were a bunch of other fish that were targetting the lure. Even doing it half way, it's not difficult in the slightest. You will have problems if you try to catch it if it's on the far end of the pond though.

Use the medium and large lures to get your points up so you can afford the best rod, otherwise I kept buying the best lure to just speed everything up. The Guardian is only interested in that lure as well, so you've got to use it on him. The problem with it is that you have to be careful, as the other fish will go after it if you're not careful.

It isn't terribly hard to catch. Especially if you caught the legendary fish in FFXV. That one was way more annoying than this fish.

Edited by Valyrious

If you fish while it's raining, there's a high chance you'll hook a fish with a tag = double points.

You don't need to have your proficiency maxed out (I didn't) ... but it helps if you read the fishing book which lets you use your third eye to spot fishes with tags, and the Guardian of the Pond (will appear as a golden long snake/eel-like fish).

Once you spot the guardian, use the best rod and best bait but be careful that you don't snag one of the other fishes near the guardian.

Something cool I found is on days where it is raining but specifically "torrential" rain, and at night, it shows up immediately. No fishing at all required. I bought 7 of the bait it liked and had 7 attempts to catch it. I can't remember what day this was unfortunately. My proficiency is maxed. I'm terrible at the fishing mechanic so this was quite useful.

you don't need to fish on a rainy day. it can be sunny and the Guardian can spawn.

it's also possible to catch the Guardian with the base rod or the 1st upgrade rod but it's just more difficult since the line is more likely to break.

As long as you catch 6 fish and use the large bait the 7th time you cast out the Guardian should spawn.

Reading the fishing book to unlock the Third Eye ability is highly recommended. Other than that, there are no specific requirements for the Guardian to spawn other than catching 6 fish before attempting to catch the Guardain. Despite what some people are saying, maxing out Proficiency isn't required at all. I already caught the Guardian when my Proficiency just got to level 3 :P

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Reading the fishing book to unlock the Third Eye ability is highly recommended. Other than that, there are no specific requirements for the Guardian to spawn other than catching 6 fish before attempting to catch the Guardain. Despite what some people are saying, maxing out Proficiency isn't required at all. I already caught the Guardian when my Proficiency just got to level 3 :P

It is if you want to have a seventh fishing attempt. My rank 4 Proficiency would only allow me six fishing attempts. Tested it every day for 2 in game weeks.

50 minutes ago, A-Brawl3r said:

you don't need to fish on a rainy day. it can be sunny and the Guardian can spawn.

it's also possible to catch the Guardian with the base rod or the 1st upgrade rod but it's just more difficult since the line is more likely to break.

As long as you catch 6 fish and use the large bait the 7th time you cast out the Guardian should spawn.

True, but it's still a useful tip in case you don't want to waste time fishing 6 times just to have a chance at the guardian.

4 minutes ago, IvanGosu- said:

What's the earliest I can try to catch the Guardian? I'm at the beginning of June currently.

Somewhere at the end of June I think. Ryuji will invite you to go fishing with him and after accepting his invite and spending the day fishing with him, you'll be able to go to the fishing pond on your own whenever you want to.