Steve Jobs steps down from Apple

Dreakon139

Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs resigned today as chief executive officer from Apple. His place at the top of the company will be taken by Tim Cook, previously Apple's chief operating officer.

Jobs has been dogged by a string of health problems in recent years that forced him to take periodic leaves of absence from the company. Jobs announced in January that he was taking an indefinite medical leave from Apple--his third in recent years--and handed over day-to-day responsibility to Cook. He told his employees in January, "I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can."

In a separate note to Apple's board members and the Apple community today, Jobs said that he was no longer up to the job of CEO.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," Jobs said.

Jobs concluded by saying that "Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it," and that he looks forward to contributing as Apple's chairman of the board, director, and as an Apple employee if the board allows it.

Read More: http://news.cnet.com.../?tag=mncol;txt

I couldn't care less about Apple, but that seems like kinda huge news.

Jobs' resignation is unfortunate, even more so since this means he's in a horrible physical state and could be meeting death sooner than expected.

However, I have full confidence that Apple will continue to be the technological powerhouse that they have been for the last 25 years or so. The company will move on, and it will still most likely be a success.

• 2 weeks later...