National Hockey League 2013 Thread

DanielVT

No, by all means. Carry on my illustrious legacy. ;)

I have my chips and dip eagerly awaiting 12:30EST for the Sabres season opener. Let's see how sloppy this team plays with like 2 weeks of practice under their belts.

Thanks.....illustrious it 'tis. ;)

Checking in from the West Coast. I've been a hockey fan since seeing my parents lose their minds watching the US beating the Soviets in 1980, and a Kings fan since Luc Robitaille's rookie season in 1986. The goal at 0:34 in this video was scored at the first game I ever saw live, and is still one of the most incredible goals I've seen in the more than 500 games I've attended:

[media=]

[/media]

After 26 long years of being a fan, I finally get to call them the reigning champs, and finally got to see them raise the banner (and then watch them get crushed by the Hawks). A repeat is tough to begin with, and it will be tougher without Willie Mitchell on the penalty kill for a few weeks. Losing Matt Greene for the rest of the season is a punch to the gut. He's not the flashiest player or best defensemen in the league, but he's a rock back there, and he's a leader on the team.

Go Kings Go!

Edited by GolfingDevil05
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I simply take offense to them being dismissed out-of-hand.

Who dismissed them? I simply stated that New York and Philadelphia were bigger threats THIS season. Or at least appeared to be at the time - they both look pretty pitiful now. No need to get defensive.

All I have to say is that the Bruins are rolling! Easily a top 3 team thus far (if not the best in my biased opinion). They should certainly be feared to make it to the Finals and win it all the way they are playing. I wish they would hurry up with their break.....I want to see more hockey!

team.jpg

Crap! Why do I never spellcheck when I am tired? lol

The team is the Canadiens. However, the people of Canada are called Canadians. I think its a french thing. So... you were kinda right?

Speaking of the Canadiens, totally classless game they played against Toronto last night. Fun for a Leaf fan but man, they should have saved some face and stopped cheap-shotting and complaining the whole time.

Montreal certainly gooned it up, but Toronto has been that kind of gutless, truculent team for a long time. Not sure what happened in the alleged "biting" incident, but I'm surprised that Colton Orr didn't get a call from the League Office of Supplementary Discipline regarding that knee-on-knee hit to Tomas Plekanec. Considering Orr's reputation and history, and considering the game situation at that point.... that struck me as "intent to injure" and ought to be slapped with a lengthy suspension. The NHL doesn't need that particular kind of garbage where a goon tries to cripple a rival's top player.

Montreal certainly gooned it up, but Toronto has been that kind of gutless, truculent team for a long time. Not sure what happened in the alleged "biting" incident, but I'm surprised that Colton Orr didn't get a call from the League Office of Supplementary Discipline regarding that knee-on-knee hit to Tomas Plekanec. Considering Orr's reputation and history, and considering the game situation at that point.... that struck me as "intent to injure" and ought to be slapped with a lengthy suspension. The NHL doesn't need that particular kind of garbage where a goon tries to cripple a rival's top player.

The reason he didn't get a call was because it was not a knee on knee hit. The only peoppe that think it was are montreal fans, hockey moms, and people who didn't even see it. Plekanec put himself in an awkward position by trying to avoid getting steamrolled. There was no knees thrown by orr and it was a clean, devastating hit.

The reason he didn't get a call was because it was not a knee on knee hit. The only peoppe that think it was are montreal fans, hockey moms, and people who didn't even see it. Plekanec put himself in an awkward position by trying to avoid getting steamrolled. There was no knees thrown by orr and it was a clean, devastating hit.

That absolutely was an attempt to injure -- if you bother to watch the replay, you see Colton Orr stick his knee out in the direction of Plekanec and it isn't a "natural motion" on Orr's part. But I suppose you probably think Tie Domi's elbow to the head of Scott Niedermayer back in the 2001 playoffs was "just a hockey play" too.

Also consider the player in question. Colton Orr is a marginal NHL player at best, a goon and a cheap-shot artist, and he's been suspended before. When I look at a douchebag player, I'm going to default to assuming his actions are going to fall into the douchebag model.

Going knee-on-knee is a great way to cripple a player. If Orr was trying to "send a message" by flattening Plekanec, that's fine. When you're trying to "send a message" in a way that could lead to a player missing the rest of the season, that's not so fine.

That absolutely was an attempt to injure -- if you bother to watch the replay, you see Colton Orr stick his knee out in the direction of Plekanec and it isn't a "natural motion" on Orr's part. But I suppose you probably think Tie Domi's elbow to the head of Scott Niedermayer back in the 2001 playoffs was "just a hockey play" too.

Also consider the player in question. Colton Orr is a marginal NHL player at best, a goon and a cheap-shot artist, and he's been suspended before. When I look at a douchebag player, I'm going to default to assuming his actions are going to fall into the douchebag model.

Going knee-on-knee is a great way to cripple a player. If Orr was trying to "send a message" by flattening Plekanec, that's fine. When you're trying to "send a message" in a way that could lead to a player missing the rest of the season, that's not so fine.

I urge you to look again, as it is plain as day that he was going to level Plekanec with a good solid hip check. Yeah, Orr isn't a goal scorer and never will be. Montreal played that game with no self respect, and if you saw the play that occured right before that check, you would understand the reason Orr went after Plekanec. It was not an attempt to injure. It was an attempt at sending a clear message to that player. It was not a knee, it wasn't even intended to be a knee. Please look again, you're being willfully ignorant here. It clearly isn't only myself who thinks this, as the man who was the inspiration behind the term "Shannaban" hasn't done anything about it. Like I said, the majority of the complaints are coming from strictly Montreal fans, indicating that they were upset at losing the game, plain as that.

Wondering what all the hockey fans think of the hit that Matt Cooke put on Erik Karrlson, I frickin despise Matt Cooke but I can't imagine someone trying to slice someones ACL. Aaron Ward had a great take on the incident on TSN and I tend to agree with him. One thing for sure, I'll be tuning into the next Sens/Pens game!

If it were almost anyone else other than Matt Cooke, I'd 100% believe it was completely accidental based on having seen the replay a half-dozen times or so. Because it's a guy with a lengthy history of some very questionable hits.... I'm a little bit skeptical.

Honestly, I could be convinced either way.... and I wouldn't be surprised at either possibility.

So.. the Leafs may actually make it back into the playoffs after a decade of not... :o But they will probably tank.

Their schedule is pretty easy in February, to be honest. March and April look much more challenging. I think they'll make it in, but they are going to start losing a little more often. Unless we can get Reimer, Frattin, and Lupul back in decent time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...