Tragically Missed Exclusive Item Discussion

Aradia117

Sorry if this topic may have been done before, my newness to this site shows itself from time to time.  So here's my point of discussion, what are some of the limited/timed/exclusive, avatars, themes of what have you that looking back you regret missing out on whether it be indecisiveness at the time or not being aware such spoils were there for the taking.  With the PS Plus discounts and giveaways constantly rotating and other fun bonus content originating from the PS Live channel or other venues, I figured many of us have that one theme or one avatar that "got away" that we'd all happily claim a do over to snag if we could.  Adding why you missed said bonus item may help contextualize the tragic outcome, but is completely optional.

To start off the discussion here are a few of my missed rewards.

Nights of Azure Preorder Theme - I missed this one understandably since when I got my PS4 I really wasn't as entrenched in console gaming as I have become more recently.  So I would never have thought about preordering regardless of incentive items.  Later on when I broke down and bought NoA and promptly fell in love with it I did feel a twinge of regret that there was a PS4 theme released as part of the preorder bonus that was beyond my grasp.  Not saying I preorder every game but this one left a scar.

Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy Avatar - Part of the lead up to the launch of the game via the Playstation Live website as part of their scavenger hunt (watch X video, Y video, visit Z website, etc).  I bought a PS4 after E3 2015 specifically for this game, and FFVII Remake (of course), so I wanted every single side item, bonus item, that had to do with HZD, and while I did snag the Rost Avatar and Watcher Avatars I missed my chance to grab the Aloy Avatar which I probably would have used as my main avatar, though the HZD Platinum Reward avatar is not a bad option either.

While I guess listing games you missed getting free as part of the monthly free games could qualify for this thread as well, I was aiming more for the missed opportunities that are really unlikely to resurface.  Most games end up on the 80% off sales eventually so while that's not the same as free (duh) overall that's different than those fun bonuses that are lost the the passage of time.  Vent away =)

Edited by Seabound117
grammar fix

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX pre-order theme

This probably had to be the most heartbreaking one for me as it contains some of my favorite Kingdom Hearts imagery.

I buy physical games because I have limited data for each month so I can't really download larger files often. I also prefer to collect physicals in general.

I didn't have the money to buy the digital version just for the theme either.

The other has to be the Final Fantasy VII theme. I can't see myself buying the port in the foreseeable future.

Edited by TheJadedJay
Added info

Two things that pissed me off.

First. February 2012. Simpsons Arcade Game for PS3. Love the shit out of it, would buy it in a heartbeat for any amount of money. Debuted on PS+, which I had at the time, so I got it through there. Then it got taken down later in the year and never came back, so I was stuck with having to resub to PS+ if I wanted to replay it again. Which is also what happened to 

Duke Nukem 3D for PS3 / Vita. It dropped around January 2014/15 if I recall. But I went live on the store early in November for a few hours and I happened to be on at the time and bought it instantly. Problem was, it wasn't the cross buy version, and I only got the PS3 version. I was the first to 100% the trophy list on here though, which was cool. Anyway, I ended up getting a refund from Sony because the Vita version was the main appeal of me buying it for the millionth time. Then when it properly released, it too debuted on PS+ and once more I was stuck needing to resub if ever I wanted to play it again. It too, was delisted down the road.

It sounds like I'm complaining about not keeping PS+ games forever, which would be dumb, and I'm not, I'm moreso complaining that I couldn't buy the two games with real moneys to keep forever because if you have Plus and they're on Plus, you don't have the option to actually buy them, debuting on the service means I had no choice at all, then delisting the both of them meant I could never rebuy them again.

Here's some bonus ones that I remembered while writing those two

OutRun Online Arcade. I fucking love OutRun to death and seeing it in proper 1080p would blow my little mind, even if it is just a bare bones version of OutRun 2006. This was delisted long before I got a PS3 due to Sega losing the Ferrari license or something. This one REALLY annoys me because I have a fat PS3 and OutRun 2006 on PS2... problem is that 2006 is one of the few PS2 games in my stack that don't work right on the fatty PS3 so I'm left plugging in my shitty AV PS2 and getting ugly ass visuals from the game. Scarface, another game I love, is also unfortunately one of the ones that doesn't work.

This is more of an unfortunate situation than anything. When I moved near the end of 2012 my internet company took a pathetic amount of time setting me up and I missed out on 2 months or so of internet entirely. Which also caused me to miss out on Arkham City through PS+, which I really wanted at the time, long story short, I went about 3 years refusing to buy it when it hit 5 or 6 bucks before finally caving and buying the Wii U version for 4 bucks on clearance at EB. Spite is a bitch and so am I.

I forgot what the other one was, oh well.

Oh shit, it was Gran Turismo HD. Looked like a really cool early look at what would be GT 5, and it was free, I would have loved to have grabbed it. Though I later got GT5 Prologue for 3 bucks so not a big loss there.

Pain was the next one. Back when magazines with demo discs were a thing I had a sub to the OPSM and in one month they gave out a code for Pain on PS3 in lieu of a demo disc (which shitted me, a PS2 and PSP only owned, right off) but it expired long before I got a PS3. 

Not really a huge deal, but I regret missing out on the Vergil avatar for UMVC3 when it was around. At the same time, back then I didn't really think things would get taken off the Store.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: HD Version

I only got into the manga/anime recently, and realizing this was delisted years ago was a huge bummer for me when i found out. Of course, i could always buy a  PS1 copy or emulate it, but it just sucks that it's not there anymore.

Also the Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection Theme. Awesome theme, but the cool pre-order themes never get released after the game's out, and that just really hurts me :lol:

Edited by d1l2e3v4

Got pop n' music 2 for PSP (port of the 16th arcade game) for Christmas 2015, a wrapped version that came with a DLC code to download more songs to play... after the PSP store servers had shut down :c (also seems like I need some kind of konami account too?)

Edited by Zanreo

Wasn't really into gaming until late 2013/early 2014, which means I missed out on some pretty stellar Collector's Edition, especially Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. The CE had a 300 pages, hardcover wizard's companion book. I've watched video upon videos of people swearing up and down that the book was worth the CE alone.

If I ever have the disposable income to buy the book I will hunt it down until it's mine.

Not really "missing out on" as much as "losing it" but years ago I lost my Pokemon Soulsilver cartridge with years and years of special event Pokémon (and some of my first Pokémon from Sapphire and Emerald, my first pokemon games after Crystal) :c Most of them had been transferred over to that game by then

Edited by Zanreo