PSNProfiles Game of the Month Club

January 2018 Game of the Month Vote!  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What should our January 2018 Game of the Month be?

• Far From Noise (PlayStation 4)
    • Child of Light (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita)
    • King of Fighters 2000 (PlayStation 4)
  2. 2. What should our January 2018 backup game be?

• VA-11 HALL-A (PlayStation Vita)
    • 8-bit Adventure Anthology: Volume I (PlayStation 4)
    • The Walking Dead: Michonne, Episodes 1-3 (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4)

1 hour ago, jasondm300 said:

Another thing I can think of is people like me, who ordered the physical copy, but it won't start shipping for a couple of weeks

That makes sense. My friend is still waiting on his copy as well. The locket that comes with the special edition looks amazing. 

Nice I'm glad it's bully. Had it in my backlog unstarted for ages. I never played it on ps2 either.

I'm doing a giveaway so if you win you can use it to buy one of this month's games.

http://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52608-wolverine123s-premium-membership-and-psn-code-giveaway/#comment-1400952

Edited by wolverine123
Added link
  • Like 1

Love the idea of this. I've already got the platinum in both Bully and Severed though. 

Bully was a game I had wanted to play for years and finally did when it came to PS4. I liked it, but I dunno, personally I don't get why it gets all the hype. Severed was a game I heard a ton a hype about but I didn't know if I'd end up liking the game myself. I ended up really loving the game. I would actually go to work and think about playing the game when I got home lol. It's pretty short, but great while it lasts. The only downside I had with it was that my finger physically felt like it got a friction burn from having to swipe on the Vita touchscreen with it. 

1 hour ago, marshmeowlo said:

Love the idea of this. I've already got the platinum in both Bully and Severed though. 

Bully was a game I had wanted to play for years and finally did when it came to PS4. I liked it, but I dunno, personally I don't get why it gets all the hype. Severed was a game I heard a ton a hype about but I didn't know if I'd end up liking the game myself. I ended up really loving the game. I would actually go to work and think about playing the game when I got home lol. It's pretty short, but great while it lasts. The only downside I had with it was that my finger physically felt like it got a friction burn from having to swipe on the Vita touchscreen with it. 

i totally get what you mean about the friction burn when playing Severed; my finger felt the same way too, especially when I was going for the Father's Memento, which was a righteous pain until I got the rhythm for the dragon down. That said though, I also loved Severed, and I'm glad that more people are going to be introduced to the game via this topic. It's one of the Vita's finest games, and deserves more credit than it gets. Also, I love the way the story is told throughout the experience.

PS - Extra points for the punny username. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've only got about two trophies left in Bully, so I thought I'd give you all my assessment of the game so far:

- This is the first Rockstar game I've ever played to completion - I've played bits and pieces of various Grand Theft Auto games (starting with GTA 1, way back on the PS1) and Red Dead Redemption, but never stuck with any of them long enough to play through to the end. This event encouraged me to see Bully through to the end, and I really enjoyed it!

- I loved the sheer variety of things to do in the game. While I wasn't always a fan of every class or all of the racing segments required for the Platinum (especially the carnival go-kart races), I did like the fact that there was so much else to do that you weren't stuck doing the same thing over and over again if you didn't want to. Also, I appreciated that the times allotted to complete races and various timed events were generally lenient, making this a fairly low-stress Platinum. 

- I loved the sheer number of costumes that Jimmy was able to acquire through the game. The Green Ninja outfit was random and cool. I wish I'd been able to find a Pirate outfit to go with the Pirate Hat. I also liked the variety available in the weapons.

- I hated all the stealth segments, but this might be a reflection of the fact that I generally don't like being stealthy in my videogames. Except Skyrim, that is. Stealth is Skyrim was awesome. 

- The Kleptomaniac trophy is like a mini-Platinum, given that you need to accomplish 30 different tasks to get it. I enjoyed going for that trophy too, but I did find myself wishing there were fewer garden gnomes to track down.

- Finally, as far as girls went, Zoe was obviously the best. ;)

Did anyone else have any thoughts on Bully?

• Like 1

I haven't even started T______T

The weekend I was planning to start Divinity Original Sin 2 came out of EA on steam and my BF and I have been playing it obsessively :') The only time I really play non-handheld games is the weekend so RIP bully. I still have time hahaha... MAYBE I CAN DO IT :') 

Edited by KittiBear

21 minutes ago, KittiBear said:

I haven't even started T______T

The weekend I was planning to start Divinity Original Sin 2 came out of EA on steam and my BF and I have been playing it obsessively :') The only time I really play non-handheld games is the weekend so RIP bully. I still have time hahaha... MAYBE I CAN DO IT :') 

Well, you still have two weeks, so no rush! Also, Severed, our backup game, is a great option and it happens to be on a handheld!

PS - The iOS port of Severed is great (if you have an Apple device), and is significantly cheaper than the PSVita version if cost is an issue. You won't get trophies for playing through it, but hey, it's all about the experience, right? :)

• Like 1

Just now, darkamdusias said:

Well, you still have two weeks, so no rush! Also, Severed, our backup game, is a great option and it happens to be on a handheld!

PS - The iOS port of Severed is great (if you have an Apple device), and is significantly cheaper than the PSVita version if cost is an issue. You won't get trophies for playing through it, but hey, it's all about the experience, right? :)

I think I have Severed!

...But Danganronpa just came in the mail yesterday too... Ahhh dilemmas hehehe :')

14 minutes ago, KittiBear said:

I think I have Severed!

...But Danganronpa just came in the mail yesterday too... Ahhh dilemmas hehehe :')

I totally get that! I was tempted by Final Fantasy IX the entire time I was playing Bully!

Edited by darkamdusias

I just finished Severed on August 29th and I really enjoyed it. I liked the unique art style (haven't played Guacamelee but I read the art style is similar and it's by the same devs). After the first area I was a little worried the combat system would be too boring and repetitive but they did a good job of introducing new features and complications. The last series of fights were actually quite challenging. They certainly got everything they could out of what first seemed like fruit ninja gameplay and it was the best use of the Vita's unique controls I've seen since LittleBigPlanet (for Vita).

Assuming it maintains its lead, I've got a copy of Bastion waiting for next month. I've heard nothing but good things about it. :)

On 9/29/2017 at 10:41 AM, mking_63 said:

I just finished Severed on August 29th and I really enjoyed it. I liked the unique art style (haven't played Guacamelee but I read the art style is similar and it's by the same devs). After the first area I was a little worried the combat system would be too boring and repetitive but they did a good job of introducing new features and complications. The last series of fights were actually quite challenging. They certainly got everything they could out of what first seemed like fruit ninja gameplay and it was the best use of the Vita's unique controls I've seen since LittleBigPlanet (for Vita).

Assuming it maintains its lead, I've got a copy of Bastion waiting for next month. I've heard nothing but good things about it. :)

It's funny - I wasn't crazy about Guacamelee, but I LOVED Severed. I'm in agreement that it was an amazing port, and I also loved that it used the Vita so well. I was also a fan of how the story unfolded. :)

• Like 1

Woo~ It's looking like I'm going to finish Bully on time after all! I started it on the weekend and just have some stuff to mop-up in endless summer now :3

It's a shame both games in the lead for next month are ones I've completed :') I guess I'll just have to continue to attack my blacklog.

On 10/3/2017 at 1:53 PM, KittiBear said:

Woo~ It's looking like I'm going to finish Bully on time after all! I started it on the weekend and just have some stuff to mop-up in endless summer now :3

It's a shame both games in the lead for next month are ones I've completed :') I guess I'll just have to continue to attack my blacklog.

Nice! What did you think of Bastion? I did already did a playthrough of it on my alt account (because next month is going to be crazy busy for me), but I was withholding my thoughts until it became the official game of the month. :)

Just some mopping up left to do on bully. I cant believe i never played this game untill now, its great. If you cant be bothered with the work to plat a gta game then this is definitely for you.

I love nearly everything about this game, the story missions are intresting and well thought out, i didnt feel like any of them were a chore to do. If your not doing story missions then theres always something else you can be doing (bike/go-kart races, paper rounds, mowing grass, arcade games, carnival games etc)

I like the way classes are handled too ie go to class get better fighting moves or upgrades to your weapons etc. The only thing that pissed me off was the camera angles sometimes screwed me when im being chased or in a couple of bike races, thats the only minor annoyance in an otherwise fantastic game.

A tip for grinding trouble points sit in the tree in town where you do the cooks mission and shoot people with the slingshot, make sure to do each shot on full power, dont lock on just use free aim. When you knock someone out you can continue to shoot them on the ground till they disappear then just move on to the next person. I got the grind done in no time using this method.

I would love them to do a sequel "Bully- The college Years" or something like that.

Next month i picked bastion & penny arcade, ive already played both of these and highly recommend them. Doesn't look like penny arcade has a chance of winning the poll but play both episoees if you ever get chance and you like turn based rpg's with great story and hilarious dialouge. As ive already done bastion looks  like i'll be doing hatoful next month.

Edited by wolverine123
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 0:03 AM, darkamdusias said:

Nice! What did you think of Bastion? I did already did a playthrough of it on my alt account (because next month is going to be crazy busy for me), but I was withholding my thoughts until it became the official game of the month. :)

Bastion is one of my favourite games and Supergiant Games are up there in my top 5 favourite devs for sure. I played Bastion on PC first years ago and because I love it so much I decided to replay it in Vita (for anyone playing it for the next challenge I would recommend the PS4 version as the Vita version did have issues with frame drops and weird moments of missing dialogue). Never been disappointed by them but some of their games I liked less that others (I have the unpopular opinion that Transistor is my least favourite game by them -- but I still enjoyed it a lot). Darren Korb composes the best soundtracks.

On 10/9/2017 at 8:46 AM, wolverine123 said:

Next month i picked bastion & penny arcade, ive already played both of these and highly recommend them. Doesn't look like penny arcade has a chance of winning the poll but play both episoees if you ever get chance and you like turn based rpg's with great story and hilarious dialouge. As ive already done bastion looks  like i'll be doing hatoful next month.

Yeah, I voted for Penny Arcade as well - both games are fantastic and pretty well written. It's a shame that Episode 3 never made it to the Playstation Store, but maybe I'll play it on Steam someday. It's my by backlog after all. ?

On 10/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, KittiBear said:

Bastion is one of my favourite games and Supergiant Games are up there in my top 5 favourite devs for sure. I played Bastion on PC first years ago and because I love it so much I decided to replay it in Vita (for anyone playing it for the next challenge I would recommend the PS4 version as the Vita version did have issues with frame drops and weird moments of missing dialogue). Never been disappointed by them but some of their games I liked less that others (I have the unpopular opinion that Transistor is my least favourite game by them -- but I still enjoyed it a lot). Darren Korb composes the best soundtracks.

We may disagree on Transistor (it's definitely my favorite), but be can definitely agree on Darin Korb's work, which is AMAZING. :)

ETA: Also, September's games have been retired, and October's games are up!

Edited by darkamdusias

Well I started playing Bastion a couple of days ago, I got up to the point where you

Spoiler

rescue the singer

. It's a very pretty, colourful game with great music and kind of a haunting, melancholic atmosphere without being dark and depressing which is kind of a balancing act. I can't be the only one who thought the narrators voice didn't match up with his character portrait at all? I'm liking it enough but I've kind of been zoned in on Shovel Knight for the last little while. I'm sure I'll have more input after my first play-through. :)

On 10/22/2017 at 1:41 AM, mking_63 said:

Well I started playing Bastion a couple of days ago, I got up to the point where you

Hide contents

rescue the singer

. It's a very pretty, colourful game with great music and kind of a haunting, melancholic atmosphere without being dark and depressing which is kind of a balancing act. I can't be the only one who thought the narrators voice didn't match up with his character portrait at all? I'm liking it enough but I've kind of been zoned in on Shovel Knight for the last little while. I'm sure I'll have more input after my first play-through. :)

This is the narrator, right?

2L37425b.png

I can kinda see that voice coming from him. :)

I'll post my thoughts on the game in a bit as well. 

• Like 1