Dragon Age Series

Hey guys, I have had all of the Dragon Age games for quite a while now.  I've meant to play them but caught up with others as I'm sure you all know how that can be.  Anyways my question is, is it worth it to go back and play every game, or should I just go straight to Inquisition?

Thanks.

Inquisition can easily be delved into on its own and there's lots of lore in it that you can read to get you up to speed or refresh your memory as you go so if you aren't interested in playing the others you can hop right into it. The first game is amazing, the second one gets a lot of flack (but in general as a game I still enjoyed it -- but I'm totally out of the norm with this) so if you really want to play them I say go for it! But don't think you have to, they may feel a bit dated at this point if you go to them but you still might enjoy the ride either way. There's also throwbacks to the old games as well as reoccurring characters in Inquisition which you won't have a familiarity or fondness towards if you haven't played the other games, so that might take away from the experience. If you were to choose only one to play before Inquisition, I'd say play Origins because Inquisition leans on that one the most in terms of characters and such.

But I really love this series so I'd totally play them all 8D

• Like 2

The first one was awesome in terms of story and lore, with tonnes of character options (you could be elf/human/dwarf, male/female, and there were a number of prologue options to give your character background), but the character building was a little complex so I would recommend you check out a character build guide so that you don't bork your build like I did on my first few playthroughs. 

The second radically overhauled the character system and animations, but was a much more constrained and personal story about one family, set in a single city and some surrounding country (rather than what felt like a whole continent in Origins). It's usually given flack as the worst game, but I quite enjoyed it overall once I got to caring about my party members. 

Haven't played Inquisition though and, tbh, I don't feel a great need to. 

If they remastered Origins and gave it DAII's animations and character build systems I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. 

I second what Undead Wolf said.  Origins is the best in the series, and one of the best RPGs ever, depending on who you ask.  DA:2 wasn't really well received, but is a good game.  DA:I will bring you more enjoyment if you play the series in order.  (I played the first two on 360, but mean to return to them, and also mean to finish up DA:I, which is the first PS4 game I played.)

12 minutes ago, dehj309 said:

It's decided. I'll play all of them. When I played witcher 3 I had missed out on faces and lore from the past which I didn't know about. Absolutely loved the game but hated not knowing what I could have. Thank you for the replies, I'll play all of them!

I hope you have fun with the series! It's a personal favorite of mine :)

• Like 1

Most people say that Origins is supposed to be the best of the franchise. Personally I was really disappointed with that game. I liked the beginning of the game which hyped me

up a lot but it could never live up to the premise. The chemistry between certain characters is well written but besides that it's pretty boring. The landscape is generic and the

gameplay mechanics are just meh... I really wanted to like it but it never clicked. In fact due to that game I've never tried Mass Effect. 

If you want to have a better view of the story you will have to play the dlcs as well.

Witch Hunt in DAO concludes the storyline of Origins and wraps up what happens with a certain important character

Legacy in DA2 introduces another important character and reveals a secret

Trespasser in DAI is the actual ending for the game

It's ridiculous, we are talking about  story-driven dlcs.And i guess you can live without Witch Hunt and Legacy but Trespasser? Those who played DAI on ps3 and didn't bother to get the game on ps4,they don't know how it ended