GOW: Trophy controversy

G_totheW_EN

Because Kratos banging random women he comes across during the games is perfectly okay, but the word 'hos' is not. The random sex is very indicative of hoedom...and Kratos is a ho as much as these fine ladies. 

Nothing but the truth.

This is what happens when we start listening to irrelevant people who bought a game made for ADULTS

Correction: This is what happens when we start listening to the parents of irrelevant children who bought a game made for ADULTS?

• Like 3

I just finished this part about a half hour ago, actually. What a stupid ass thing to get pissed about. Sessler obviously had no idea what the trophy was actually for, and he doesn't curb stomp her face in. He does it ONCE and kills her by impaling her with a spike. It kills me to know that his misunderstanding and obvious call for attention to his own ego made him lower the score of a completely undeserving game, franchise and developer, and it will forever be one of the legitimate scores that rates the game. Luckily, this wasn't on X-Play when their reviews actually mattered. He's always been such a big GoW fan; I don't get it. As everybody has said before, in a generation where we can play games where we literately spill the intestines, brains, and any other type of internal organ of an enemy in a huge spray of blood, THIS is what people choose to get offended over. Wtf? Nobody else even batted an eye at it.

Situations like these are spawned by people whose ambitions lie far beyond the name of a trophy.  Most people who complain about something like this and demand change have far bigger delusions of grandeur -- the kind that has them wanting to control every aspect of your life and not just the meaningless shit.

Today it's crying about the name of a trophy.

Tomorrow it will be crying about your being able to play a videogame such as God of War if you so desire.

Next week the issue will be how you spend your time and money in general.

Next year it will be every facet of your life.

Whiners like these are never satisfied.  And the solution is to treat them like the bullies they are.  You don't stop a bully by kowtowing to him/her and giving him/her what s/he wants.  You stop a bully by standing up for yourself and telling them where to head in.

its all Adam Sessler's fault...what a complete douche -_-

I wouldn't put all the blame on Mr. Sessler but I do agree he was part of the problem. I've always liked Adam and thought he generally had very valid complaints but this is one thing that I completely disagree with him on. Don't think any less of the man though, but I do think he made a big deal out of nothing.

Parker

Edited by Parker
  • Like 1

I don't really understand why so many people posting here seem very upset and up in arms about this. Is the name of the trophy changing really going to take away from your enjoymeny of the game? Do you think that trophy name was so brilliant and hilarious that it's a crime against gamers having it taken away?

The cynical brit did a really good job of covering this. My two cents is that even for the people saying "how can you get offended by something in a violent video game, rated for adults, etc etc.." I think you should keep in mind we all have a line that we draw somewhere. Violence in video games tends to be more or less accepted (not by everyone at least but by people that play video games) whereas other taboos, such as rape, mysoginy, racism, homophobia etc etc are not so accepted, and with good reason. If you haven't seen the Rape Vs. Murder video I thought he does a brilliant job of exploring this issue. ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5972-Rape-vs-Murder )

There seems to be major backlash because the guy who first sounded the alarm did so in a way that was misleading about what you do to get the trophy. I'll be honest, I don't need to know how you unlock a trophy called "bros before hos" to know why some people may find the title offensive. Ask yourself, if refering to women as hoes isn't offensive, why did they need to alter the spellin? (It would make sense if hos was some reference like the name of a character or whatever but according to cynical brit it isn't) Personally that seems like a pretty bad choice for a trophy name to me, I'm glad at least one other person posting here was able to come to that conclusion rather than screaming bloody murder at the person supposedly responsible for getting the name changed.

Edited by lporiginalg

The trophy has nothing to do with women though. Nor does the reason why you get it. It's an expression given to male loyalty, which is what happened. It didn't call any woman or character a hoe, and it wasn't meant in any way to be derogatory or offensive. It was meant as a saying, and nothing more. The problem isn't the trophy name or what you have to do to get it. The problem is the big deal that's being made over something so miniscule b/c one person misunderstood it and threw a fit about it. The actual cutscene that you get the trophy for is actually one of the more virtuous and "good guy hero" moments in all of GoW. One where Kratos actually gets saved (without any characters dieing or being beaten).

Adam Sessler's BIG gripe with the game was that he actually couldn't complete the game on his own. He had to get a colleague to help him with a fight lol. Before his review went live he made another video stating how much he struggled with a "game" which we now know to be the new GOW. Apparently it affected his EGO haha 

The trophy has nothing to do with women though. Nor does the reason why you get it. It's an expression given to male loyalty, which is what happened. It didn't call any woman or character a hoe, and it wasn't meant in any way to be derogatory or offensive. It was meant as a saying, and nothing more. The problem isn't the trophy name or what you have to do to get it. The problem is the big deal that's being made over something so miniscule b/c one person misunderstood it and threw a fit about it. The actual cutscene that you get the trophy for is actually one of the more virtuous and "good guy hero" moments in all of GoW. One where Kratos actually gets saved (without any characters dieing or being beaten).

C'mon man, it's meant as a saying, nothing more? And what saying is that exactly? BROES BEFORE HOES which means what? MEN BEFORE WOMEN.  It's not what you do to get the trophy that they are changing. It's not the cut scenes or the boss fight or whatever else. It's the name of the trophy. That's the problem, that's what they are changing. Like the one other poster said already, I can't understand how that trophy name got in in the first place. Would you be ok with a trophy called "God Hates Fags" as long as the game itself didn't do anything homophobic? How about a trophy called "No Means Yes" as long as the character isn't actually raping somebody.

I can't even tell you how often my eyebrows get raised by shit like this while I'm gaming and it does bother me a little bit because I know a lot of people who play video games are too weak minded to even see the problem and thus the mysogyny or whatever else is likely to be perpetuated. The industry is getting better about this slowly but surely, but yea it surprises me they were ok with this trophy title at all and it doesn't surprise me that they are changing it and if you are bothered by the fact they are changing it you should probably take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself if it's not because you actually really like the saying "bros before hoes" and then ask yourself why that is...and then maybe you'll figure out why you're still a virgin haha burn

Situations like these are spawned by people whose ambitions lie far beyond the name of a trophy.  Most people who complain about something like this and demand change have far bigger delusions of grandeur -- the kind that has them wanting to control every aspect of your life and not just the meaningless shit.

Today it's crying about the name of a trophy.

Tomorrow it will be crying about your being able to play a videogame such as God of War if you so desire.

Next week the issue will be how you spend your time and money in general.

Next year it will be every facet of your life.

Whiners like these are never satisfied.  And the solution is to treat them like the bullies they are.  You don't stop a bully by kowtowing to him/her and giving him/her what s/he wants.  You stop a bully by standing up for yourself and telling them where to head in.

Sorry but you are wrong. If you read my previous posts you will see I don't agree with this trophy name. Does that make me a whiner that wants to control your life? No. I believe very strongly in freedom and if you want to support misogyny you are perfectly entitled to do so. I simply reserve the right to call you a moron for doing so - and did anybody even demand change, or did they simply point out how stupid it was and Sony decided to change it?

Edited by lporiginalg

• 2 weeks later...