F1 2013 Season Thread

Greenguy81

Well the F1 season kicks off this weekend with a great race down at Albert Park in Australia, I for one am like a kid in a candy shop and cannot wait :yay: , what about you ladies and gents.

Really hoping someone (Anyone) can knock Vettel off his perch this year and hoping it's Alonso, the guy is a great driver and deserves his third Championship, but there are so many great drivers in the top teams any could do it.  Will be really interesting to see what Hamilton can do in the Mercedes but must say that it's looking really quick and we all know for a fact that Hamilton will drive it aggressively all season long.  Will Grosjean not crash on the 1st lap can Caterham and Marussia score points and what can the rookies like Bottas, Bianchi, Chilton, Van Der Garde do in their respected drives.

ROLL ON THE WEEKEND :highfive:

I need to check if I get any channels that show Formula 1. I've been a big fan for a while now but apparently American's like watching big, bloated machines take left turns more than we like watching these fine tuned marvels of engineering, so unfortunately I've only been able to watch parts of races online.

I'm a Redbull and Vettel fan though. I'm a Redbull fan because their engineers seem to be able to get the most out of the car for each track and I'm a fan of Vettel because I think it's interesting to see someone so young dominate like he has. I know a lot of people dislike him, but back in their day a lot of people disliked Senna and Schumacher as well and in my opinion I believe Vettel will be regarded as one of the greats as well just as the previous two gentleman are.

Anyone in the US know what channels play the races?

Parker

I need to check if I get any channels that show Formula 1. I've been a big fan for a while now but apparently American's like watching big, bloated machines take left turns more than we like watching these fine tuned marvels of engineering, so unfortunately I've only been able to watch parts of races online.

I'm a Redbull and Vettel fan though. I'm a Redbull fan because their engineers seem to be able to get the most out of the car for each track and I'm a fan of Vettel because I think it's interesting to see someone so young dominate like he has. I know a lot of people dislike him, but back in their day a lot of people disliked Senna and Schumacher as well and in my opinion I believe Vettel will be regarded as one of the greats as well just as the previous two gentleman are.

Anyone in the US know what channels play the races?

Parker

Good to see your a fan Parker (thought you might be :) don't get me wrong I like Red Bull and Vettel is an amazing driver right up there with the best Senna and Schumacher included. I just think that the guy is starting to get a bit cocky about it almost like he feels that he just deserves it because of who he is.

The two drivers that I follow are Button and Alonso but the whole sport just fasinates me the precision and the technological science is truly amazing, the weekend the F1 starts is when it feels like all my Christmases come at once lol

So you know Parker AFAIK it's on NBC in America :)

Edited by Greenguy81

Enjoyed the 1st race wasn't expecting Sutil to do that well but just a shame he tried to get too much out of the Super Soft tyres.

McLaren look to be in worse shape than everyone thought and Red Bull didn't run away with it like everyone thought they would.  The teams that stood out as making great progress look to be Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus and Force India to me  Congrats to Raikkonen though great win and played the tyre strategy very well.

On a side note Good to see all the Rookies finish their 1st race.

Malaysia next weekend where those changeable conditions are the normal conditions :yay:

P.S. Looks like it could be another very close championship :lol:

You lucky bastards. How I envy you so, being able to watch the pinnacle of motorsport while I'm stuck having to read the results. Sounded like a great race.

Parker

I think it's crazy that the higher ups keep saying that they want to really break into the US market yet it doesn't seem to be available  :blink:

Just looked at the forecast for Kuala Lumpur for the weekend and this is what I found

storm.jpg

Thunder Storms all weekend D:  should be an interesting weekend of racing :yay:

Edited by Greenguy81

And that only left you a week behind Parker.

Malaysia GP yesterday and Team Orders is back in the news again. Mercedez ordered Rosberg to stay behind Hamilton for the finish of the race giving Hamilton his first podium for the silver arrows team.

But the big controversy came at Red Bull.

It seems to be generally accepted at most teams, including Red Bull, that the drivers can race each other until the last pitstop and they they bring the cars home in what ever order they stand. However, yesterday, despite several radio messages to tell him to stop what he was at Vettel harried Webber until he finally got passed.

At the finish Webber was far from pleased and Vettel was kind of shocked looking after his engineer told him he would have some explaining to do. All Red Bull, with the exceptions of Helmut Marko were apologising for the situation.

The driver races for the team, the team pay his wages, the driver does as he is told. Rosberg was pissed at his outcome but said "I am a Mercedes employee".

As far as I can see the only sanction that Red Bull could implement is the next time their cars are in a 1 & 2 positions, that Vettel should be made to allow Webber to pass for the victory (obviously this only works if Webber is the second car!)

I think Vettel is a great racer, but he has a ruthless streak that occassionally overwhelms his ability. A couple of years ago in Turkey his need to win at all costs cost the team a certain 1,2 victory and the same could have easily happened yesterday.

Team orders are for the benefit of the team, but sometimes they are also for the safety of the drivers, and ignoring those shouldn't be tolerated.

Other than that it was a fun race.

• Like 1

I'll be honest I don't like team orders as it does ruin the racing BUT it was obvious that Vettel disobeyed a direct team order and if any other employee of Red Bull had ignored their boss they would be disciplined in a heartbeat.  We all know though that nothing will happen and the same line of he's young and he's sorry will come out again and again without any meaning at all.

IMHO Christian Horner has his hands tied and is in the impossible situation and I think Seb knows this, just listen to the difference in tone between what and how Horner was trying to stop Seb and how Ross Brawn was telling Nico Rosberg basically the same thing, almost like Horner was saying Please don't do it, whereas Ross Brawn was saying You WILL do this.

I'll will stop ranting now just gutted for Webber

P.S. Should be fun for the sparks flying over the rest of the season between Webber and Vettel though

This song is for Vettel :

Anywho - with the new rules on engines, etc. it makes sense that there are team orders - why put the engine under unnecessary stress for example ?

Is it sporting? yes and no - people want to see a race, ok, but that is up to their competitors to do so.

They are a team, so should behave as one, not everyone for himself. It's like 2 strikers fighting over a ball to score the goal ...

And yes, Vettel basically knows he'll get away with anything

Edited by leprodigalson

LOL at the Cyndi song!

Vettel seems to have more shout than even Schumi had at Ferrari in his pomp. Schumi would have backed down if Ross Brawn had told him to but then again Ross wouldn't have been saying "Stop it Seb, this is silly". But then again maybe Horner (who has run lower forumlae teams prior to getting this F1 setup) is badly hamstrung in what he can do - but it did sound more like he was the company tea-lady rather than the team principal.

I heard on the radio this morning that people in Milton Keynes (where the RB team is based) are getting a Baby On Board sticker for Vettel's car.... :D

I despise team orders. I realize why they're there but I still prefer the drivers to determine the outcome of a race over politics. What Vettel did was kind of a cock move but it was still a fantastic bit of racing. Vettel is in a similar position that both Senna and Schumacher were in. During their time they were hated for some of the decisions they made but in the end they are regarded as some of the best the sport has ever seem and I genuinely believe Vettel will reach that status as well. He's a fantastic driver, you can't debate that.

Parker

Webber actually finished by giving him the lead to avoid a turkey type incident. I really cannot despise team orders, as that is what a team is ! otherwise don't call them a team, just manufacturers - but in this case, totally different managers too !

• 2 weeks later...

Vettel is really not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel says he would "probably" ignore team orders again if he was instructed not to challenge team-mate Mark Webber.

Vettel was asked if he would repeat his actions from the Malaysian Grand Prix.

He said: "I'm not sure I can give a proper answer because in the moment it might be different but I would probably do the same."

Vettel added his move was "indirectly" a form of payback for what he said was a lack of past support from Webber.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22106490

I cannot believe the arrogance of Vettel, to apologise at the last GP and say it was a misunderstanding and then before this GP say I'll do it all again plus it was payback.  :facepalm:  I have even less respect for the attitude of the guy than I did before.  Webber has to be seething and the team will be having kittens, how can you defend Vettel now then Red Bull he has basically put his own self worth above that of the team and that can't be a good thing :hmm:

• Like 1

how can you defend Vettel now then Red Bull he has basically put his own self worth above that of the team and that can't be a good thing :hmm:

He wins so brings in sponsors - end of the day when people are talking about him be it good or bad, they aren't talking about others and that's good for advertising

Webber will have to choose - sit down, shut up and expect any team orders to be for him to slow down and let vettel win, or leave the team and find somewhere where he'll have a chance (not too many about though))

I honestly couldn't care less about the drama off the track. I watch Formula One for the racing and in my opinion Vettel is one of the most entertaining drivers to watch. All champions are cocky it seems and winning three times in a row proves he can out his money where his mouth is.

Parker

I found Grosjean and Maldono the most entertaining last year - it was always a question of how they were going to hit someone else :P

End of the day what happens off track will end up causing issues on track. I can't see Webber being so conciliant next time, not with Vettel basically saying he isn't worth anything

I have only recently started watching F1. Top Gear (U.K.) got me hooked. Can't say i have a favorite driver, but i have been partial to Jenson Button since his appearence on Top Gear. That may change as I actually start watching more races.