What game to play next out of these? (Mostly JRPGs)

GizmoCat79

I like JRPGs and i like indie stuff too. I can play about 2 games at the same time out of the list or else I tend to get burned out if I stick to just one. Problem is all the games I want to play are very long so I can’t decide what to stick with. I’m some ways into most of them too already but I can’t keep switching between them all I need to stick to a couple to get the most out of them.

Like I’ll definitely be playing ni no kuni 2 once that hits next week and I’ll probably stay on that and something else to play with from the list. I like my trophies too.

What do you guys recommend to play from the below list with ni no kuni 2.

Monster Hunter World - about monster hunter rank 5 currently in rotten vale

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 20 hours in level 18 party. It’s good so far but not mind blowing. Loved the first one but im mostly a PS gamer. Having no trophies is a massive reason I don’t play on Switch much. But this is one game I still wanna play through as I enjoyed the first one so much.

Disgaea 5 - on chapter 4. Really enjoying it but so many mechanics and systems to learn. Haven’t played it since January unfortunately I think it’s a nice game to play and do a bit of it each day.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 - love this game it’s simply and mindless fun to just relax with not having to learn controls, story or mechanics. It’s just fun to play. I need a game like this to break up from the complicated mechanics of the other games (in comparison)

Pillars of Eternity - I like baldurs gate kind of games but haven’t started this one yet.

Tokyo Xanadu EX+ - got to the second chapter I love falcom games this is good so far but not their best.

Celeste - I heard good things is this a short game too to plat?

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - haven’t started it although I wanna wait for all the dlc to hit first. Is there gonna be more on top of the Galadriel one?

Lost Sphear - I enjoyed Setsuna and this seems like something I’d like but probably not the best time to start other jrpg with ni no kuni 2 which I’ll play from day 1

Elex - got about 20 hours in it but just haven’t got round to going back. I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of it and I like these euro RPGs.

Edited by Gizmo_Monkey

I only know Disgaea, Monster Hunter, Zenoblade Chronicles, Lost Sphere and Tokyo Xanadu.

In terms of generally fun and enjoying the game without caring about the platinum, I'd recommend Monster Hunter or Disgaea 5 (I like Disgaea more).

However, from a Trophy hunting point of view I'd go with either the game you have progressed in the most and are closest to the platinum, so that would kind of kick Monster hunter and Earth Defence 4.1 down to the bottom of the pile as both trophies are difficult and take ~300 hours. 

Elex is about 80 hours, so that would another 60 hours for you.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and Tokyo Xanadu are both about 40-50 hours each but the trophies are easy enough. Lost Sphere is the same and super easy. 

Celeste is short and easy, 15-20 hours to platinum. 

Pillars of Eternity is difficult to platinum and takes 80+ hours, Disgaea 5 is about the same and super grindy as Disgaea games tend to be.

My personal recommendations depending on your goals:

Quick Platinum trophy route: Celeste -> Lost Sphere -> Tokyo Xanadu -> Middle Earth -> Elex -> Disgaea 5 -> Pillars of Eternity -> Monster Hunter World -> Earth Defence 4.1. 

Fun route that gives a nice change from Ni no kuni: Monster Hunter world, Earth Defence 4.1 as you mentioned, Pillars of Eternity, Elex.

If I were you route as a fellow RPG fan but also a moderate trophy hunter (in particular JRPG): Celeste-> Lost Sphere -> Disgaea 5 -> Tokyo Xanadu -> The rest, depending your preferences. To me Monster Hunter is fun but from a trophy hunter point of view it's not ideal. Judging from what you say about each of the game, Elex seems like a good choice since you say you enjoyed it and have already put a good bit of hours into it. 

If you want to jump right into the world of JRPG heaven, with Ni no kuni, Disgaea 5 is good as it's 90% gameplay and 10% story so although it's a JRPG, you won't have to get your head around two story driven JRPGs like Lost Sphere and Xenoblade Chronicles.

However, if you want a short easy enough game the choice would be Celeste, Lost Sphere or Tokyo Xanadu. 

19 hours ago, Gizmo_Monkey said:

Tokyo Xanadu EX+ - got to the second chapter I love falcom games this is good so far but not their best.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - haven’t started it although I wanna wait for all the dlc to hit first. Is there gonna be more on top of the Galadriel one?

Lost Sphear - I enjoyed Setsuna and this seems like something I’d like but probably not the best time to start other jrpg with ni no kuni 2 which I’ll play from day 1

Elex - got about 20 hours in it but just haven’t got round to going back. I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of it and I like these euro RPGs.

Now of these I would wait on Shadow of War because they will probably release a "GotY" edition next year.

Elex and Lost Sphear are the shortest 2 of the above. I have not played much of TX eX+ yet but it is a great game and the combat is similar to Y's VIII, time is limited for me. So I would say finish Elex then jump to Tokyo and if you finish those with enough time then hit Lost before NNK2 comes out.

May I also suggest Battle Chasers: Nightwar, as it is a throw back to older style RPGs and a lot of fun to boot.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

5 hours ago, DarkHarmonixer said:

Now of these I would wait on Shadow of War because they will probably release a "GotY" edition next year.

Elex and Lost Sphear are the shortest 2 of the above. I have not played much of TX eX+ yet but it is a great game and the combat is similar to Y's VIII, time is limited for me. So I would say finish Elex then jump to Tokyo and if you finish those with enough time then hit Lost before NNK2 comes out.

May I also suggest Battle Chasers: Nightwar, as it is a throw back to older style RPGs and a lot of fun to boot.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is absolutely no way I’ll finish them before NNK2 hits lol. I think I’ll stick with Xenoblade 2 and Monster Hunter for now. I really enjoyed EDF but I’m gonna play a level of it now and then it’s not really a game I can play hours and hours constantly. It’s too repetitive for that kind of gaming. As for Disgaea 5 again I think I’m gonna drop in and out of it simply so I don’t forget it’s mechanics.  I can’t dedicate too much time to it because most of my playtime will be on MHW and XC2. After I’m done with at least one of these and NNK2 I will play Elex afterwards. God of War is hitting soon too so I’m hoping I’m nearly by then as it’ll be a shorter game to play than any of the above, even to plat.

i tried Battle Chasers and although I enjoyed it, the loading times between everything annoyed me. The game was very slow paced too and a bit tedious. Like your character walks around so slowly and it got a bit dull. Nice combat though.

• 4 weeks later...