SNK announces new hardware.

RadiantFlamberge

If it's $80 or not too much more, I might be tempted.  Some of the games are good (Blazing Star, Kizuna Encounter, Sengoku 3, Last Resort, World Heroes Perfect, & both Shock Troopers).  I'd have left Top Players Golf out of it though.  That spot could've better gone to Neo Turf Masters.

For a system that can be emulated on anything including the switch I don't think it's worth it. I've been through my Aes and Mvs days and paid the price, luckily I still have both. But this is just my opinion and maybe it's a good product for others as Some of those Neo Geo games are still pretty awesome.

Now that I see some photos of it, it actually looks pretty small. Like way to small for my gorilla-like hands! xD

Not having an internal battery doesn't phase me as I wasn't really thinking about taking playing it on the got but the design looks like it could be somewhat cumbersome to play if you put it on your lap. Looks like a table or any kind of flat surface will be necessary to play it in a more comfortable way. I hope the extra controllers don't retail for too much. Would be nice if they made it compatible with just about any kind of USB controller. :)

15 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

I agree.  There are some good arcade sticks out there like Hori's PS3/PS4 ones.  I'd really like to be able to use one on this.

Same, although mine is a Mayflash that I bought recently to take advantage of its compatibility. Would be sweet if it was compatible with this console as it would save me money on having to buy any extra controllers.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 7:22 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Some of the games on the Neo-Geo Mini & its international version will be different.  Games will be based on their home console versions (boo). Why not have it be like the MVS except with Free Play?  Not sure if I want it now.

Minus a couple of games, there is no difference between AES and MVS games, both carts contain 2 versions of the same game

Edited by SnowxSakura

On 17/9/2018 at 1:45 PM, gameoverDude189 said:

Here's Madlittlepixel's take on the NGM Japanese unit.  He does seem disappointed about some things with it like no clickiness/microswitches in the unit's stick, & external power supply only (no battery).

Well, at least is going to cost less than what we expected but, for what it is included in the package it still sounds somewhat expensive.

The lack of a battery doesn't phase me much but the lack of microswitches on both the stick and button does. The unit itself looks cool (I prefer the color scheme on the international version) and the construction looks rather solid. It also comes with a good selection of 40 games to play from the get-go.

Still... This is probably the only mini-console I am interested in mostly due to its cute, arcade cabinet-like presentation. $100 for it just ok... could be cheaper considering all that is missing on the package. I wonder if there is a chance of getting a used one at a cheaper price later down the road ?

On 5/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Just make more games for PS4. Enough said. New systems are too costly to produce and market. Just make games!

I dunno, I kinda miss the days where there were around 5+ consoles all out and competing with one another.

36 minutes ago, majob said:

I dunno, I kinda miss the days where there were around 5+ consoles all out and competing with one another.

And when was this, with 5+ "consoles" competing with each other. The only time I think you may be referring to was when we had those 3do and panasonic junks. Maybe even Neo geo period that maybe 1% of pop had money for. Some of those consoles during then died off so quick. People that fell for it wasted so much money. 

6 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

And when was this, with 5+ "consoles" competing with each other. The only time I think you may be referring to was when we had those 3do and panasonic junks. Maybe even Neo geo period that maybe 1% of pop had money for. Some of those consoles during then died off so quick. People that fell for it wasted so much money. 

Well the AES didn't do too bad, it was supported from 1991 to 2004 for game releases, and hardware support until 2006. A lot longer than most companies can say. Also the panasonic was the 3DO, unless you're thinking of the philips cd-i. 

I still enjoy playing the AES, but the carts are way too expensive nowadays

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Well the AES didn't do too bad, it was supported from 1991 to 2004 for game releases, and hardware support until 2006. A lot longer than most companies can say. Also the panasonic was the 3DO, unless you're thinking of the philips cd-i. 

I still enjoy playing the AES, but the carts are way too expensive nowadays

Yeah your right. 3DO was panasonic. xD I wasnt gathering my thoughts well when replying. Had a bit of anger too. I'm ashamed! >< Wasnt there something else that came out around that time too. Was it really the philips?? There definitely had a lot of consoles in a generation then. But I wouldnt say they were all head to head competing with each other. 

1 minute ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Yeah your right. 3DO was panasonic. xD I wasnt gathering my thoughts well when replying. Had a bit of anger too. I'm ashamed! >< Wasnt there something else that came out around that time too. Was it really the philips?? There definitely had a lot of consoles in a generation then. But I wouldnt say they were all head to head competing with each other. 

The 3do company licensed out the manufacturing of their console to Panasonic and goldstar. Other systems out around that time were the Atari jaguar, Apple Bandai pippin, the pioneer laseractive, the Philips cd-i, the pc engine, the pc-fx, the pc engine super grafx. There were a lot other ones specific to regions as well like the super a'can, the Commodore cdtv, Casio loopy, Amiga cd32, fm towns marty

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The 3do company licensed out the manufacturing of their console to Panasonic and goldstar. Other systems out around that time were the Atari jaguar, Apple Bandai pippin, the pioneer laseractive, the Philips cd-i, the pc engine, the pc-fx, the pc engine super grafx. There were a lot other ones specific to regions as well like the super a'can, the Commodore cdtv, Casio loopy, Amiga cd32, fm towns marty

Ahh your godly yes it was the Pioneer laseractive!! That huge piece of junk. Bought it and used it for nothing only to return months later.

3 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

I'm glad we don't have 5 consoles competing against each other. Three is enough. 

Sega's 32X Genesis/Mega Drive add-on was a truly bad idea when the Saturn & PS1 were getting ready to hit.  All those 32X games should've been saved for Saturn.

At least the Sega CD had some decent games on it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

At least the Sega CD had some decent games on it 

It really did.  Some of them are Terminator, Wonder Dog, Jaguar XJ220, Final Fight (better than the SNES cart- it's 2 player with all 3 characters, & way closer to the arcade... Rolento & the Industrial Area stage are back), Soul Star, Sonic CD, & AH-3 Thunder Strike.  Namco even tried Starblade on it, which turned out decent.

One that could've been better is After Burner III.  This one doesn't use the Sega CD's capabilities- I'm sure it's due to the developer being lazy.

8 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

It really did.  Some of them are Terminator, Wonder Dog, Jaguar XJ220, Final Fight (better than the SNES cart- it's 2 player with all 3 characters, & way closer to the arcade... Rolento & the Industrial Area stage are back), Soul Star, Sonic CD, & AH-3 Thunder Strike.  Namco even tried Starblade on it, which turned out decent.

One that could've been better is After Burner III.  This one doesn't use the Sega CD's capabilities- I'm sure it's due to the developer being lazy.

Some others were shining force CD, popful mail, lunar 1 and 2, vay

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this.  Ouch.  MetalJesusRocks is disappointed enough to give it a "nope".  Neither the cabinet stick nor the gamepad thumbsticks have that click.  On the HDMI, the 720p output looks blurry.  The button layout is rotated from the one found on the original Neo pads.  True there's no battery but I'm sure an external USB power bank can take care of that.

Oh, you beat me to it @gameoverDude189 Just saw this video from MetalJesusRocks and I was coming to share it here >.<

MetalJesusRocks was mostly disappointed in it and here I was thinking he was gonna like this console. The gamepads are reasonably priced at $25 but the lack of microswitches on both the gamepads and the console is definitely a missed opportunity. I never played with an original Neo Geo pad but I can see why people could get lost at the fact that they changed the button layout. The thing that kinda throws the deal to the ground is the supposedly blurry 720p output of the console when using a TV. I was kind of surprised that he praised the small LCD screen that it comes with and that he admitted that it was comfy to play it using the stick and buttons on the console itself.

Think I am going to hold off on this... $100 looks like too much for the quality of the device and there are a number of things sorely missing from the whole package. What do you guys think? I still think it looks cool for collection purposes but I rather get it for less than that later down the road, if possible.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:36 AM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Well I still have them today. 3do, Neo Geo AES and Consolized MVS, Cd32. So the competition was Sega and Nintendo without mentioning commodore and Atari, then Sony. Also the 3do was great in it's time if not a little overpriced. The AES carts where a massive rip off imo so I bought the parts for an MVS and consolized it with memory card and all. So of course I have no interest in this new machine. In short the Sony VS Microsoft vs Nintendo world has killed off innovation to a degree.

BTW, I'm sure allot of you watch MJR. I want to recommend "Last Gamer" for his youtube content, his collection and enthusiasm is unbeatable.

Edited by Z1MZUM