Rumor: Best Buy Gamers Club ending

ShadowStar83x

According to reports, notably by Wario64, Best Buy is ending the Gamers Club and Gamers Club Unlocked. Current GCU members still get benefits until they expire, but can no longer renew.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-buy-gcu-20-off-seems-to-be-coming-to-an-end-reports-of-in-store-and-online-takedown.43490/

This REALLY sucks because I used it all the time for the 20% off new games and double My Best Buy points. It was awesome. I'll be using the hell out of it until it expires.

• Like 2

Yeah I just recently enrolled in the program. Glad I have until 2020, but still this is a bummer because it really is great value.

I'm afraid that Amazon is going to take away the 20% off that they offer for preorders in response to this. And if they do, I'm not renewing my Prime membership later this year. No way is free two day shipping worth a now $120 a year.

2 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

I'm afraid that Amazon is going to take away the 20% off that they offer for preorders in response to this.

If anything, this should prompt them to keep it as Best Buy and Amazon were the only ones (to my knowledge) offering 20% off of pre-orders. If you ask me, this is the perfect time for Amazon to keep it. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 5:47 PM, kidson2004 said:

If anything, this should prompt them to keep it as Best Buy and Amazon were the only ones (to my knowledge) offering 20% off of pre-orders. If you ask me, this is the perfect time for Amazon to keep it. 

I really hope so, but it seems every year Amazon scales back the game perks. It used to be 20% off of new games both standard and collectors editions for a week after release. They then took away the 20% discount for non-standard versions of games and then later limited the 20% discount to preorders only. All without notifying any Prime member with an email of some sort. So for me, the fact that Amazon can just change anything at a whim makes it tough to trust them at $120 a year.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:47 PM, kidson2004 said:

If you ask me, this is the worst time for Amazon to keep it lol :P

There's no reason for Amazon to have this anymore, they had it to be competitive but since Best Buy discontinued this program...no reason for Amazon to be losing money lol