Is XCOM 2 worth getting for PS4?

Laydex

Hi,

I am looking into getting XCOM 2 for the PS4, as this looks like a fun game.

I have read that the game has some performance issues in the past. Is this still the case now?

Is the game worth picking up for the PS4?

Thanks

IMO, yes, definitely. Load times are still pretty long (close to 2 minutes towards the end of the game), but other than that it's pretty stable. I'm just finishing up my legendary run and finding it a lot of fun. I think I had 1 crash the whole playthrough.

Just know what you're getting yourself into. There are no major technical issues, but XCOM is not what I would call a casual friendly game. Not implying that's what you're looking for, just that I don't know what your definition of "fun" might include. :)

• Like 1

With wotc alot of the load times have been drastically reduced. There is some a.i targeting issues. Or the "chase cam" bugging out durring a over watch action.

The alien rulers dlc allways seems to turn its self on. Even if you've disabled it ( prevents free pick up of o.p weapons and mission to unlock the rullers but still spawns them around aug/sept) 

The load times for me on a day 1 ps4 are about 1min - 2min.

Used to push 10-30 back on vanilla launch.

All an all. Well worth the cost.

If you get it. Bundled/discount even better..

Ive noticed xcom 2 going on sale quite alot as of late

I think you can turn off the rulers by leaving the DLC on, doing the first "mission" where you get the bonus weapons (frost bomb FTW), but NOT doing the first real mission. I never ran into them by doing this.

EDIT: Don't recall if this applies to WotC too, but it should.

Edited by RNumbers

For my self. Before and after wotc.

Ive always turned off rulers after clearing its dlc. Sure the gear is nice. But the fact that rullers can take an action aganst you blinking was to much.

But so long as the add on was installed. They always spawned.  W.o the tips of. "X signal mission to trigger / plane crash that has the cash of weappns" 

Aside from that id still say well worth the $$

Lol ya i have it 

Installed.

And Enabled ( currently)

(And have had it disabled)

But i didnt do the mission it told me bout it a few times. 

They still start appearing early sept. 2035.

It is what it is lol the rullers armor is nice hp bump for the chosen fights on legendary. 

* now if only the chosen assassin would stop becoming immune to everything xD and omg the 30+  squares she can move. Shes the worst among the 3.

Warlock and hunter are absolute jokes in comparison lol

Anyway

* done de railing

• 2 years later...

Can somebody tell me how it looks with the Loadingtimes right now.

Did they fixed it, i'm commin' from PC, so i'm a little impatient as I am not used to wait.
Loadingtimes far over 1 Minute is a gamebreaker for me, i don't have tons of time to play, i want to play and not to wait :)

Is it profiting by an installed SSD?

Thanks in advance

14 minutes ago, Suntropology said:

Did they fixed it, i'm commin' from PC, so i'm a little impatient as I am not used to wait.
Loadingtimes far over 1 Minute is a gamebreaker for me, i don't have tons of time to play, i want to play and not to wait :)

Thanks in advance

They're better than they were but still painfully slow so if you're used to lightning fast load times on PC, you will hate the PS4 version. I can't comment on SSD speeds since I don't have one installed.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Suntropology said:

Thanks in advance

Since you're impatient, here's a short answer :): yes, it's improved by an internal SSD, just not incredibly.

Longest answer: the latest version, with WotC, is much better than it was on release, but it still gets slower when you near endgame, especially if, like me, you like to take your time to build a Mexican army (24 or 30 colonels and maxed out Psy Operatives, all with level 3 bonds) on a casual Legend playthrough. :)

I'm playing on Pro with a 2 TB SSD, and some games are drastically improved by it, like The Division 2 or Stellaris. Unfortunately, games like Prey or XCOM 2 don't seem to handle their load times the same way, meaning it is better, just not a gazillion times better. The game starts much faster, though, and the way an SSD works, it depends a lot on how you play: if you do legit Ironman runs, you'll benefit a little, if you like to savescum, the improvement will be significative. Haven't tried on PS5 yet.

In other words, if you already have an SSD installed, go for it, but don't buy one only because of XCOM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

Since you're impatient, here's a short answer :): yes, it's improved by an internal SSD, just not incredibly.

Longest answer: the latest version, with WotC, is much better than it was on release, but it still gets slower when you near endgame, especially if, like me, you like to take your time to build a Mexican army (24 or 30 colonels and maxed out Psy Operatives, all with level 3 bonds) on a casual Legend playthrough. :)

I'm playing on Pro with a 2 TB SSD, and some games are drastically improved by it, like The Division 2 or Stellaris. Unfortunately, games like Prey or XCOM 2 don't seem to handle their load times the same way, meaning it is better, just not a gazillion times better. The game starts much faster, though, and the way an SSD works, it depends a lot on how you play: if you do legit Ironman runs, you'll benefit a little, if you like to savescum, the improvement will be significative. Haven't tried on PS5 yet.

In other words, if you already have an SSD installed, go for it, but don't buy one only because of XCOM.

Thanks a lot... 

I have 1TB SSD installed... 

It's ok to wait 30 seconds for a mission I think... Perhaps it's OK to wait 45...

But 120 is far to long... 

I know they had the problem on PC too at the start... 

Savescuming was on PC not a Problem, reloading a Savegame was fast... In case u don't need to restart the game as like in Ironman... 

But I gonna want to play it legit... ☺️☺️

So how long is the loadtime with your Mexican Army ?

Thanks... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suntropology said:

[...]

So how long is the loadtime with your Mexican Army 1f602.png

[...]

So, I timed a few loads and launches with a stopwatch, with multiple tries, using the few saves I've got left, all with War of the Chosen active. It's pretty much consistent, give or take two seconds.

Launching the game, from dashboard to main menu: 56-58 sec, might vary a little bit with the MY2K search.

Loading a save to Geoscape, Ironman early game: 27 sec / Ironman late game*: between 56 sec and a little bit over a minute.

Loading directly in a mission: around a minute

Starting a mission (from the begin mission option, after team selection): a little under 80 sec. (mostly 76-78)

So under 120 sec, but most of the time over 45.

*I currently don't have an "extreme" game going, so latest in game I could test with was on 45th mission, with only 4 colonels, 2 magi and a shitton of majors and captains.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

So, I timed a few loads and launches with a stopwatch, with multiple tries, using the few saves I've got left, all with War of the Chosen active. It's pretty much consistent, give or take two seconds.

Launching the game, from dashboard to main menu: 56-58 sec, might vary a little bit with the MY2K search.

Loading a save to Geoscape, Ironman early game: 27 sec / Ironman late game*: between 56 sec and a little bit over a minute.

Loading directly in a mission: around a minute

Starting a mission (from the begin mission option, after team selection): a little under 80 sec. (mostly 76-78)

So under 120 sec, but most of the time over 45.

*I currently don't have an "extreme" game going, so latest in game I could test with was on 45th mission, with only 4 colonels, 2 magi and a shitton of majors and captains.

Thanks a lot, long loadtimes but i think i give it a try... :)

• Like 1