Profile ideas

After making the trophy case mockup, I realized there are many little elements of the page layout on profiles that could be improved.

PLEASE NOTE! This redesign is just my personal tweaks to the layout. If you don't agree with it, then offer your own detailed feedback on it and/or the current layout. It is simply to give the staff ideas of enhancement, for there are many tweaks made and some may be used.

The ultimate goal for this thread is to have the community contribute ideas to enhance the current layout.

BEFORE......

currentlayout5vug3.png

AFTER.......

psnprofilesredesign-mldllk.png

Changes made:

• Giant profile banner decreased height. There is no reason to have a giant banner on the top of all profiles, jus a slice or taste is good enough. This increases the slickness of the overall layout and makes the overall profile easier to wrap your head around instead of having that giant, overwhelming image there.
  • PSN ID font size increased. We are looking at a person's profile, so their name should be important. With the way it currently is, the name is far too small, meaning it's hard to know whose profile you're even looking at at first glance.
  • PSN "About Me" text moved to the right of the increased PSN ID text. It was too much to squish under it like it currently is.
  • PSN "About Me" changed font color from white to gray. This emphasizes the PSN ID more, while About Me is still visible.
  • Removed upper area text "Sly Ripper's PSN Profile". This information is redundant, as the PSN ID is now emphasized.
  • In that removed area, moved the Profile/Trophy Log/etc buttons under the now decreasd heightt banner, in the center. Beforehand, it seemed like those were personal settings buttons, but now it's clear they are buttons for the profile your viewing's stats.
  • Font color of level, ranking, trophy information changed from white to gray
  • Re-arranged "# Games Played", "# Games Completed", etc. Games Completed is now before Games Played, as this makes sense - it's now saying "this profile completed X games out of X games". "Of" text added between them (optional)
  • First 3 and last 3 "Games Played", etc stats moved to the left and right side, respectively. Now there is balance, with the far left having 3 stats, and the far right having 3 stats. Makes the profile layout much less overwhelming and even brings out the banner art better.
  • Font color brightened of all text in the "recent trophies", opacity of images made semi-transparent. Having these less opaque means more attention to the list and less mind-clutter...all the while retaining the exact functionality.
  • Font color of "#Games Played", "#Games Completed". etc changed from white to gray
  • Font size of games on trophy list increased and bolded. This make the most important element of the profile, the games list, be more front and center...instead of other elements being more catchy. Size of game details (X of X trophies, time completed) remains untouched.
  • Percentage/percentage bar completely revamped. New, increased "fat" font for percentage of each game.  These are in a clean line with percentage text in the same place on all. Font color of percentage number is black, percentage is light gray---it'd be too much clutter with all black. The progress bar is revamped. Now it is a slim bar under the percentage. Previously, it was very difficult to even read the percentages due to small font size and font color choice.
  • Opacity of "Letter rank" and platform logos decreased/made semi-transparent, as to bring more emphasis on the trophy list's games and the percentages.
  • "Trophy Case" box added above "Rarest Trophies" box

EDIT!!!! Alternative tweaked layout based on feedback:

psnprofilesredesign-m21u8i.png

Another one, but with only upper part tweaked:

psnprofilesredesign-mu1luz.png

Edited by HipHecooblik
  • Like 1

Are you serious ? 

Yes, I'm serious about attempting to contribute to this site and enhancing features that I think could be improved upon.

Now please, educate me why I am such a "fucking idiot" (as you mumbled to yourself when typing that most likely) for doing so?

It is very disheartening to see this vocal majority of "forum regulars" attack any "outsiders" like this, intruding on their perfect world. Here is some news for you: this is a stat site for the entire PSN.

Now, if you DON'T like it, don't be rude about it, and just say you don't like it. Perhaps even offer constructive feedback. Do you really think I, or anyone, want to help this site anymore if we just get attacked by the forum regulars for intruding on their perfect world, and ignored by the staff? Not even a polite "no thanks". I'm not the only one.  Hopefully i am just overreacting.

Edited by HipHecooblik

You're title will confuse people, changed.

Are you using IE7 or something? Your screenshots have no shadows, gradients or border radius'.

This is how it should look: https://psnprofiles.com/s/423P.png

Strange, my browser is not displaying the shadows.

Thanks for changing the title. Perhaps I got a little ahead of myself and realized even my redesign needs some redesigning.

Anyway, when you guys say you don't like it, tell me what you don't like. Surely there are some actual good tweaks that are universally agreed upon to be nice, such as stat butons being moved to the center under the giant banner, and the giant banner cut in height a tad. Those two I think alone would really enhance the layout.

However, I see that the percentage font may have been made a tiny bit large. I'd still keep it emphasized, but maybe a little smaller.

So then, regardless of who likes my mockup or not, I think I did a good thing by making this thread. Now everyone can brainstorm their own ideas of tweaks that should happen to the profile layout. I really like the overall slick design Sly has always had for the site as a template for all designs, and we can even further enhance that. I would be interested in seeing other's mockups, or at least hearing ideas on how the design could be improved.

So, start brainstorming!

Edited by HipHecooblik

Personally, I don't like it. The Top 5 Most Rarest trophies is just more simple and easier to understand. It is nice of you to suggest ideas like these, but I think we should just stick with our normal Top 5 Rarest Trophies. I`m fine with how the website is right now, there is no need to constantly look for ways to improve the site. It seems as if the majority of people don`t like this design and also prefer the current look. The font is definitely not needed, it seems like it is exaggerating. The current font is perfectly fine to read and doesn't need to enlarged as much as you have suggested.

Edited by Edddyy

Personally, I don't like it. The Top 5 Most Rarest trophies is just more simple and easier to understand. It is nice of you to suggest ideas like these, but I think we should just stick with our normal Top 5 Rarest Trophies. I`m fine with how the website is right now, there is no need to constantly look for ways to improve the site. It seems as if the majority of people don`t like this design and also prefer the current look.

The "Trophy Case" idea has it's own thread, but I'll reply to your feedback on that in here. It was proposed in that thread that instead of the grid view, there can be the list view like the rarest trophies box currently has. The user is then free to place any say, 5 to 15 trophies and/or game banner images (of completed games). It is a feature I've seen much requested and has been in use on popular Xbox site TrueAchievements for years.

Edited by HipHecooblik

The problem with brainstorming is that everyone want's something, and they are sometimes easy, sometimes very hard to implement.

Bringing ideas in is never a bad thing, but end of the day, users never really know what they want in regards to design (be it for a website or a product)

I've touched up my redesign based on some of the feedback here. I made the percenage side smaller, and made the trophy case list-based instead of grid-based.

The problem with brainstorming is that everyone want's something, and they are sometimes easy, sometimes very hard to implement.

Bringing ideas in is never a bad thing, but end of the day, users never really know what they want in regards to design (be it for a website or a product)

While that may be true for mega-corporations, this site is very community-based: it's servicing a community.

Thus, the community is not much different from the staff here. The staff simply uphold and build the service.

If people are really going to be like this and close their minds to any enhancement to the site beyond what the staff provides...licking up anything the staff provides, attacking anything else...then it's going to be a very boring future for this site.

Many decisions should be polled to the community first, such as the DLC thing, there should have been a month-long poll on the side of all profile pages---that way, not only the "premium paying forum regulars" who don't skew outside of predictable mentality are polled. That way, the entire PSN trophy community is asked. That is, if we even had the chance to ask. Giant sites like TrueAchievements do not go ahead and do such things so fast, they do site-wide in-your-face weeks long polls before hand. And a poll for "do you mind if we remove the ability to report cheaters", big things like that, the community had no say. The community, not this small group of forum regulars.

Something happened, and maybe the staff or Sly can illustrate why this cerain audience formed over time...is that once the forum section was introduced to this site, what formed here is a very vocal majority here, many times I've found are teenagers. This hive is what is going to ultimately prevent this site, and possibly all of the PSN trophy community if this site becomes the most popular trophy site, from becoming more serious. Steps like what I'm proposing are only simply steps to a bigger picture.

Edited by HipHecooblik

I appreciate the time and energy spent on trying to provide ideas and feedback to the community but I don't really like your layout better than the current one.

Plus, your layout is more of a Salvator Dali than a Vincent Von Gogh, in my humble opinion.  ;)

Thanks again for the passion you show towards the site and community. 

Well technically Sly ultimately does everything :hmm:  He's only one person.  I'm all for different ideas, but that font has to go.

Did you check my updated mockup in the post above yours? Tell me what you think if so. Or if you did and the font should still be changed, then let me know.

Not wanting to go too off-topic but your mention of Sly doing everything...that is what I'm talking about. We can't be having a monarchy. This is a community. I feel bad for Sly, he does so much, I've said I respect that, and he really doesn't need to put so much through his mind. He doesn't need to think about certain cleanup. He shouldn't have to think about cheaters. There needs to be more staff. There needs to be an investigations team. There needs to be a higher standard. And that higher standard, mark my words, will gradually enhance the entire trophy scene. We've been around since 2008, and frankly, the standards are not as high as they should be. I want to see the community evolve to a maturity and understanding the Xbox achievement community is at now.

Edited by HipHecooblik

I've touched up my redesign based on some of the feedback here. I made the percenage side smaller, and made the trophy case list-based instead of grid-based.

While that may be true for mega-corporations, this site is very community-based: it's servicing a community.

Thus, the community is not much different from the staff here. The staff simply uphold and build the service.

If people are really going to be like this and close their minds to any enhancement to the site beyond what the staff provides...licking up anything the staff provides, attacking anything else...then it's going to be a very boring future for this site.

Perhaps it is just the font that people don't like. It just ruins it all since it looks unnecessary and the font becomes blurred. The trophy case is fine, it is the font that puts people off I guess. But we all do appreciate how you are trying to improve the site more. The only thing is that people here just don't agree with this layout being implemented. I`m sure people would just like the trophy case instead of the layout and font.

Did you check my updated mockup in the post above yours? Tell me what you think if so. Or if you did and the font should still be changed, then let me know.

Not wanting to go too off-topic but your mention of Sly doing everything...that is what I'm talking about. We can't be having a monarchy. This is a community. I feel bad for Sly, he does so much, I've said I respect that, and he really doesn't need to put so much through his mind. He doesn't need to think about certain cleanup. He shouldn't have to think about cheaters. There needs to be more staff. There needs to be an investigations team. There needs to be a higher standard. And that higher standard, mark my words, will gradually enhance the entire trophy scene. We've been around 2008, and frankly, the standards are not as high as they should be. I want to see the community evolve to a maturity and understanding the Xbox achievement community is at now.

Not to speak for Sly, but, He chooses to have it a monarchy and I think it works out really well this way.  It's his baby and has put a lot of hours, blood, sweat and tears (manly tears) to make this site just the way he envisioned. 

While I agree there is always room for a higher standard and improvement - having too much staff and too many hands in the cookie jar has proven detrimental on other sites (from my perspective anyways)

And yes, this is off topic so I won't go into addressing the other issues in this thread any deeper.

• Like 3

Not wanting to go too off-topic but your mention of Sly doing everything...that is what I'm talking about. We can't be having a monarchy. This is a community. I feel bad for Sly, he does so much, I've said I respect that, and he really doesn't need to put so much through his mind. He doesn't need to think about certain cleanup. He shouldn't have to think about cheaters. There needs to be more staff. There needs to be an investigations team. There needs to be a higher standard. And that higher standard, mark my words, will gradually enhance the entire trophy scene. We've been around 2008, and frankly, the standards are not as high as they should be. I want to see the community evolve to a maturity and understanding the Xbox achievement community is at now.

Yeah, I have.  I just personally don't like the font.  You can't have too much staff though.  Otherwise, you'd have e-goons thinking they're hard because they're staff on a trophy site.  The cheater thing is still be worked on as far I know.  

Perhaps it is just the font that people don't like. It just ruins it all since it looks unnecessary and the font becomes blurred. The trophy case is fine, it is the font that puts people off I guess. But we all do appreciate how you are trying to improve the site more. The only thing is that people here just don't agree with this layout being implemented. I`m sure people would just like the trophy case instead of the layout and font.

Thanks for your feedback. I am going to do aditional tweaks to it until it is at a point where everyone likes it.

Yes, this thread has been more active than the trophy case one. The trophy case has been requested for a long while and I think with some minor brainstorming and building on the introduced idea, it will go over well as a new feature.

I think it's in agreement that all my tweaked parts of the top area are much more refined than the current layout. Just the bottom half of my tweaked layout needs work. But if you guys think the top half tweaks are bad, tell me which. There were many made, illustrated in the first post with all the bullet-points.