Dr_Mayus' Prescription for Perfection

Dr_Mayus

• 2 weeks later...

1Le84c13.png

#188-Duke Nukem Forever

FUCK ME THIS GAME IS...not as bad as I thought it would be.

I warned people when this game came out. I was working at Playstation and I kept telling customers to not bother with DNF and get inFAMOUS 2 instead. Everyone kept saying "I have to see how it is" and I was like "wait a couple of months as the price will drop drastically." Well I was right. inFAMOUS 2 turned out to be awesome and DNF dropped to 4.99 in 6 months time. So I picked this game up for the price of a coffee at Starbucks and I have to say for 5 bucks it is pretty fun.

The levels were varied, the mechanics are wonky but functional, it doesn't really play like most FPS games so it gives it a unique feel and the bosses were big and memorable.

Is the game perfect? Come on are you fucking kidding me? Is it enjoyable for 5 dollars...of course it is :).

Now the only non-enjoyable parts were that fucking Pinball game and Insane difficulty. I had to stop playing the game quite a few times because Insane just got to me. I used the Freeze Gun trick but still there were some parts that were just not enjoyable at all :( This is the kind of FPS that Normal was made for :)

• 3 weeks later...

1Lc35cb9.png

#189-LittleBigPlanet 3

So I wasn't going to pick this game up because as much as I love LBP2 and LBPV I wasn't really excited about a new one. Well it went down to 5 bucks on a flash sale so I picked it up and I am glad I did.

The levels were really clever, the music was AWESOME and the extra characters were good.

The negatives are simply this. It is really, really short. I mean you can speed run the game in less than 2 hours (which for 5 bucks is fine but if I paid full price I would have been upset).

Also the Online is completely broken. I tried to play with multiple people and it was always crippling lag. It was so bad that Yuri and I couldn't do more than a couple of levels before we had our characters hovering all over the place. The worse part is the game makes you play Co-Op for each level but that is impossible to do so your only bet is to play offline with a second controller...super fun if you live alone. On top of that you have to host all the levels yourself or the game won't count it as a win which means that if you played one level with a friend and the rest offline you better remember which one you played with the friend or you won't earn the trophy.

So yeah, really fun game marred by a terrible online.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good profile and a hefty amount of platinum trophies you've earned. I tip my hat to you (I don't have a green colored hat).

I really need to get back into Demon Souls but it's just, argh. I don't like having so many trophies related to stones and having to worry about world/character tendency.

• Like 2

Very good profile and a hefty amount of platinum trophies you've earned. I tip my hat to you (I don't have a green colored hat).

I really need to get back into Demon Souls but it's just, argh. I don't like having so many trophies related to stones and having to worry about world/character tendency.

Thank you :D (despite your lack of green hats :( )

Yeah the missable trophies are scaring me more than the bosses...I can't even imagine trying to plat this game when it first came out. Even with all the guides it is still intimidating. That being said I have put off playing this game for 6 years and I am so happy I finally got the courage to try it out as this is a sure fire nominee...potential winner of some End of the Year awards :)

That being said...6 Demons are defeated :D

rbqql6R.png

• Like 1

Let me know how Demon Souls works out, and if I need to know anything about obtaining stones and whatnot.

Someone already made very good suggestions to me regarding the game so I'll keep them in mind, but it's always good to get more suggestions since Demon Souls tends to be a bit intimidating.

Let me know how Demon Souls works out, and if I need to know anything about obtaining stones and whatnot.

Someone already made very good suggestions to me regarding the game so I'll keep them in mind, but it's always good to get more suggestions since Demon Souls tends to be a bit intimidating.

Will do :) there are enough DS veterans on this site that info is at hand :D

• 2 weeks later...

I played the Secret of Monkey Island games and Sam and Max in the 1990s, a whole decade before trophies were even introduced for PS3 games. Never played Day of the Tentacle, but I already have a backlog of games I need to play through so I'll give the game a pass for now.

I love point and click adventure games though. They tend to be relaxing.

• Like 2

I played the Secret of Monkey Island games and Sam and Max in the 1990s, a whole decade before trophies were even introduced for PS3 games. Never played Day of the Tentacle, but I already have a backlog of games I need to play through so I'll give the game a pass for now.

I love point and click adventure games though. They tend to be relaxing.

You should check it out. If you use a guide you can do it in a couple of hours and just enjoy the story.

I used it as a break from Demon's Souls as I just wanted something mindless to take my mind off some of the 2nd level difficulty :)

Well I might as well buy it if the flash sale is still in effect.

How's Demon Souls turning out? Is it easier than a lot of people claim for it?

I made it through all the first levels with not too much trouble. I played all the second levels a couple of times and beat 2 but still have to go back and finish the rest. It really isn't as bad as some people made it out to be but I am playing Royalty. If I played a Melee character I am sure it would be a lot harder

1Lc4e3e5.png

#191-Sports Champions 2

:yay: I HAVE FINALLY PLATTED THIS GAME :yay:

2 years ago I attempted this plat and kept failing at the Gold Cup in Tennis. I got to 1 point from winning and the controller didn't register my swing and I got so frustrated I never played it again.

Well I have been going through old games trying to clean up some trophies to increase my Completion % and thought "what the hell". I came out of retirement...and beat the stupid fucking robot on my second try :D :D :D

It feels great having finally completed this game and I move 1 step closer to #200 :o

• 1 month later...

So my checklist took a real hit thanks to the Site Downgrade :( Well I will rebuild it again as I wanted to change it up anyways. In the meantime

1L866296.png

#192-Nier

I move ever closer to...#200 :O...The path to Hell is paved with shiny platinums.

Well this game has been in my backlog for forever and a day. The Speedrun scared me off this game but I am glad I went back to it. It was a pretty fun Action RPG  with good music and a decent story...that I had to read about later because the game HAD A STUPID SPEEDRUN. Seriously what kind of RPG has a Speedrun trophy. I mean if you are going to do a Speedrun then have New Game + start you at the beginning of the game instead of halfway through it. Seriously stupid.

Anyways the game was quite good and the only complaint I really have (besides the stupid speed run) is the insane collectibles. Now I platinumed Star Ocean 4 this year so I can't really complain about the grinding in this game but it was still really pointless :(

Oh well I recommend this game based off the good combat, variety of attacks, great music, fun boss fights and the fact that it had a level that was based around Resident Evil 1. I mean that is where that mansion came from right...it even had the same style camera.

Oh yeah the ending was also pretty awesome. I mean Eternal Darkness just pretended to delete your save file. This game actually did it...that is a badass ending

13 hours ago, James_Tonto said:

192 platinums. That is quite the mountain of trophies, you have earned infamous and coveted platinum trophies. NIER sounds like a game, I might enjoy, though a pseedrun trophy in an RPG sounds kinda dumb, since the point of RPG's is to grind and level up.

You don't really need to level up in this game and the grinding happens after you beat the game (as you need to beat the game at least 4 times) but the one thing is you are missing out on is the story...so stupid :(

1L83791f.png

#193-Wanted: Weapons of Fate

6 more til 200 :o

This was another game I started years ago and never completed (for I don't know what reason).

I am really glad I decided to play this again as it was a lot of fun. It was cover based shooting but with a twist (or a curve). Now Chest High Walls are usually bullshit (and they were here as well) but at least in Wanted you got Curved bullets so it alleviated a lot of the Pop Up Gallery syndrome. 

The story was alright, but I was awfully confused. I think maybe the stuff was explained more in the movie (which I didn't watch) but it seemed like a lot was missing.

I also didn't like having to play the game a bunch of times to plat it. It wouldn't have been so bad if the characters they forced you to play as actually had more story to add to the game but in all the cutscenes you just converted back to Wesley so what was the point?

Anyways this isn't GOTY but it was a solid 6 or 6.5/10 so I would recommend it :)

• 1 month later...

1L912811.png

#195-Final Fantasy X-2

:| Well I liked it better than 10...so that's a start.

This was an interesting game. I can't say I outright hate it...but I was more disappointed because it could have been so much better.

The Battle System

OK let us get the mechanics out of the way. I love the Job System. I loved it in Tactics and V and I love it here. BUT they do one major thing wrong here and that is making the Dress Spheres useless when unequipped. There was no point in levelling up the Festival Dress Sphere because you will never use it and it doesn't do anything to your character. I would have loved to have seen the ability to equip techniques after mastering the Dress Sphere. That way you could have a Dark Knight that could also use Mascot attacks. I remember in Tactics being a Ninja but having the Jump ability so I could completely wreck even the final boss by jumping across the screen anytime I wanted.

Other than that I was happy to see the Job System brought back as it allows you to completely customize your battles to your play style. My only other complaint would be I would have wished they would have had an "equipment saved" feature as I would have a couple of different teams depending on the situation and to keep switching back to my "Mega Tonberry" team every time I saw one was annoying.

The Sidequests

OK...as much as I liked the battle system this is where I get off. I personally felt the Side Quests completely killed this game. There were just so many of them and rarely did they feel like they added to the plot at all. There were some, like the Crimson Spheres, that added to the overall experience but after that you were helping monkeys have sex, playing a coin/math game, handing out promotional material, getting people to marry a loser, playing DDR with a bunch of lightning towers and more. 

This game is about 20 hours long but the Side Quests stretch it out to almost 100. That is way too many sidequests and I would often lose the point of the plot because I was worrying about what was happening in these little moments. I had the same problem with Skyrim because by the time I got back to the main quest in that game I had no idea what  I was doing any more as there were too many sidequests.

The Characters and Story

So I might have called Yuna a plank of wood in the first game

xf6pgm.jpg

The problem is she is TOO different in this game. She has a personality now (thanks goodness for that) but she went from a meek summoner who respects all life...to a gun toting badass wearing Booty shorts who extorts people for money. I mean a big part of this game was deciding "do we really want to help these people...how much money will they give us" I mean what the fuck...aren't we the good guys here?

That was my problem with the 3 girls on a whole here. They really did seem to be awful people most of the time. I mean when they weren't breaking into temples to steal Spheres, they were extorting people out of money to save them from fiends, shooting up humans that got in their way, using sacred Ronso water to have a lesbian threeway (oh come on what else was happening there) and other things like that. They just came across as 3 entitled people that you ended up kind of hating by the end.

On the flip side Nooj, Barelei and Gipul (their male counterparts) came across as much more interesting people and I kind of wished we could have followed them around. I mean these 3 were the leaders of the 3 different nations and they had to put aside their differences and become friends again to take down the unstoppable weapon. I don't know I kind of wish we got a X-3 and got to play as those 3 guys instead.

Finally the main boss. Shuyin had a lot of the same motives as Caius, from 13-2, mainly "my girlfriend died so now I am going to destroy the world" but here I didn't mind it as much. Shuyin was more mad at the idiots in charge that were going to sacrifice his girlfriend that he wanted to turn their own weapon against them. He was killed for his troubles and his rage continued to manifest itself throughout the ages.  The short scenes where you got to see what happened between Lenne and Shuyin were very well done and you wanted to know more about their lives...but we never got a chance to because we were stuck with the Babysitter Club instead.

OK my biggest gripe...I mentioned we got stuck with the girls instead and while I think they were kind of horrible characters I didn't mention their biggest flaw. THE ENTIRE PLOT OF THIS GAME WAS TO GET BACK TIDUS...WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF PLOT IS THAT.

Seriously that is the only reason Yuna is on this mission. She really doesn't care about the destruction of Spira...she is more interested in finding out what happened to Tidus and that is her major driving force. She went from a doormouse character in X to a love stuck teenager in X-2. People are always saying we need more strong female characters in games but not like this. I mean you have an Airhead with a Whale-Tail, a Female-Squall and someone who gave up on life because her boyfriend is gone...those aren't the types of Strong Females we need in games.

In Conclusion

This game had a lot of high points. Yuna's concert in the Thunder Plains is one of my favourite scenes in any FF game...it is up there with the Opera Scene from 6 so that is high praise but there was so much dragging it down it ended up being a dud in the end.

If they could have cut 90% of the side quests and just made this Final Fantasy X DLC where we got a strong side story it would have been a much better game.

• 2 weeks later...

1L1907a5.png

Plat 196-Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I have decided to join the Plat Rain: Round 4 so I haven't technically platted this game yet...but I could turn on my PS3 and get the plat within about 30 seconds...so yeah it is basically done.

As for the actual game...I liked it but it could have been so much better.

The game was just so easy even on the hardest difficulty. There was all this stuff in the game like Sage Crafting, Alchemy and Weapon's Crafting...but I never had to use it except to build Fate Potions because those basically made the game an Instant Win. I constantly just found better weapons than I could craft, I never needed to create potions because you either found a ton or you could buy 24 small potions (that healed half your life) for about 300$ and I always had anywhere from 500,000-1 million gold in my possession. The only thing I would spend gold on was small potions or repairing my equipment. I had at one point a little over 3 million gold and nothing to spend it on.

There were tons of quests but they were basically either fetch quests or monster killing quests so I just ignored those.  There were tons of different weapon types but your Great Sword destroyed everything and eventually I found a Great Sword that could absorb health so I barely needed to heal after that.

Like I said I really did like this game...just it really felt like "baby's first RPG" and while that isn't a terrible thing...it was a little disappointing.

• 3 months later...

Wow, haven't posted here in awhile...really need to do that remodelling of the front page :(

1L8209ef.png

#197-Dead Island

I have to say I like the second one a whole lot more. I guess that is one of the problems with playing the sequel first...it can really hinder the enjoyment of its predecessor.

This game wasn't bad but I just found it lacking. There wasn't as much going on as the sequel and the locations weren't as varied. There wasn't anything fun like walking through the lake as you weren't sure where a Zombie would pop up, or that crazy level near the end where the streets were filled with zombies, the market place where things would run out everywhere, the standoff at the theatre or other locations where you had hoards of zombies coming at you. There was nothing like the cave you accidentally go into at the beginning of Riptide that tears you a new asshole because there are a dozen of difficult zombies plus a Zombie leader that you should not be seeing for a long time.

Anyways...like I said not fair to compare it to the sequel so let us talk about what it did right and wrong.

The game was the perfect length. I found the game to be exactly what i was looking for in length. It wasn't too short that you felt ripped off and it didn't over stay its welcome either. I think more games (especially open world games) need to study this as it is very rare indeed. None of the missions felt out of place and there was no "busy work" missions either.

THAT BEING SAID

The plat was full of busy work. By that I mean having to beat the first chapter with every character, getting so many kills with every type of weapon, and too many online trophies that forced you to play with some of the worst players I have seen since Red Dead Redemption. I mean it is a Co-Op game...WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP KILLING RANDOM ZOMBIES ON THE BEACH...but that is not the game's fault that is stupid players fault.

In the end it was a fun game and I had NO glitches whatsoever (which I heard were quite prevalent) so I would definitely recommend but would suggest people play Riptide instead.