Spider-Man PS4 has gone gold

6 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

Does that mean it sold 500,000 copies before it even launched?  With sales numbers that big, it's no wonder companies push pre-orders.  

When a game is announced to have gone gold, that generally means the studio is happy with the state of the game and have sent a master copy to the manufacturer who then reproduces it and then ships it out to retailers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xannic said:

When a game is announced to have gone gold, that generally means the studio is happy with the state of the game and have sent a master copy to the manufacturer who then reproduces it and then ships it out to retailers. 

Oh!  That makes much more sense.  I was thinking 'going gold' in relation to albums, apparently. 

On 7/30/2018 at 0:49 PM, IntroPhenom said:

Does that mean it sold 500,000 copies before it even launched?  With sales numbers that big, it's no wonder companies push pre-orders.  

Nobody would have solid info on that anyway. Retailers order more copies than what's actually pre-ordered so they can sell to walk-ins. The people that pre-order might not even pick up their copies so those just end up back on the shelf till someone buys it.

Was talking about this when it was announced, I think once a game has gone gold, digital preorderers should be able to get access to it.

Here's the thing right, the game on Amazon here is 69 day one, to have a physical copy and shit in my hands. The game digital here is 100 with no extra bells or whistles.

Both are coming out on the same day, but one has a 30 dollar premium on the other, which is just shy of half the price of the Amazon copy.

I know Sony, Nintendo, Valve, GOG, Origin, Uplay, Microsoft, Blackberry AppWorld, et fucking cetera, can't just go and release the games digitally for cheaper than retail as then the retail partners would give them the finger, people wouldn't be able to buy games physically, consoles would stop being stocked, etc. and things would be shit for the manufacturers in the end, but I see no reason they couldn't release the games a bit earlier if they're still charging that premium. Maybe not this full month and a week or so as we'd see here, but I'd say two to three weeks wouldn't be unreasonable.

Hardcore people could pay that bit more and be rewarded for it, while everyone else could continue business as usual. It wouldn't be enough to lure *that* many people away from retail stores that the partners would have to give Sony the finger, but it would be enough to justify digital preordering to the vast majority who understand there is no reason to pay a premium for digital access to a game.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying my 69 dollar copy from Amazon day one via the free express shipping, so I'm covered either way, but just my two cents.