PS3 Emulator (RPCS3)

srikir

• 4 weeks later...

You can emulate games on ps3 because you know everything is illegal in 2018, like emulating NES games, but everyone still does it so you Can emulate but putting the trophy data from the emulator to the psn  servers is highly illegal and will most likely get you banned for life time, IF you dont go to prison. For every game in the manual says that the game should only be played in a ps3, so i believe transmitting data from a system that emulates the ps3 to an actual ps3 is highly illegal. Also, as its not the psn servers the emulator communicates with, you will be able to cheat your way through a lot of achievements. Just dont do it, emulate your games, download your isos and roms, and thats it dont cross the line.

• 2 years later...

And what about now? RPCS3 has come leaps and bounds, I'd much rather play on my PC than on my PS3, a lot of the games look better on rpcs3 now than they do on my PS3. Nothing illegal about playing my own games either, i have shelves full of them but PS3 runs like shit in 2020 lol constantly hangs and freezes doing the simplest things. If I could earn trophies on my PC, I'd much rather play my PS3 games I own on it than my PS3 which is sitting right next to the PC lol. And wanting to use an emulator is not the same as wanting to cheat trophies.
Still not possible or?

My dream would be Sony releases a PS3 Pro with better specs and ps1/ps2 compatbility back in there but we all know that will never happen lol

Just now, den-69 said:

If I could earn trophies on my PC, I'd much rather play my PS3 games I own on it than my PS3 which is sitting right next to the PC lol. And wanting to use an emulator is not the same as wanting to cheat trophies.
Still not possible or?

RPCS3 will not connect to PSN so I wouldn't bank on it to earn trophies that you'll ever be able to sync to your profile. 

It has improved over the last few years and with a powerful enough hardware combination, you can get decent compatibility with some visual improvements. It's still cheaper to pick up a PS3 slim or super-slim with an SSD and have 100% compatibility though.

I'm really waiting to see what they can do with something like Apple's M1 or future chips. They're much closer to the Cell architecture or at least closer than X86 so there is some great potential there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'm really waiting to see what they can do with something like Apple's M1 or future chips. They're much closer to the Cell architecture or at least closer than X86 so there is some great potential there.

That's a good point didn't think of that possibility before. I just wish Sony would do something with PS3 though, PS Now isn't the best solution, the resolution is kinda rubbish and I've even had freezing on the xmb on PS now when going into the save data lol. I do have a PS3 super slim I just hate how it can hang on the trophies or freeze completely sometimes. Usually once every 1/2 days I will have to hard reset the PS3 when playing it solidly.

Edited by den-69
missed a 3

On 1/6/2021 at 0:57 AM, den-69 said:

That's a good point didn't think of that possibility before. I just wish Sony would do something with PS3 though, PS Now isn't the best solution, the resolution is kinda rubbish and I've even had freezing on the xmb on PS now when going into the save data lol. I do have a PS3 super slim I just hate how it can hang on the trophies or freeze completely sometimes. Usually once every 1/2 days I will have to hard reset the PS3 when playing it solidly.

My next game to plat is the PS3 version of DA Inquisition and I have a PS5, there is still allot of life left in the ps3. Emulation can be done with PS5 hardware though that's not in sonys interest, all PS3's play PS2 games though this was never a concept with Sony except for digital sales. PS Now is a bad solution when you can just get a PS3 for next to nothing and the games.

I emulate the Switch and most other Nintendo consoles, well I did until I realized the NGC was the last console they made that I liked.

13 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Emulation can be done with PS5 hardware though that's not in sonys interest, all PS3's play PS2 games though this was never a concept with Sony except for digital sales.

The PS5 has a good shot of emulating a LOT of PS3 titles, but based on what it takes to run RPCS3 and how they perform, it looks like "compatibility" would be somewhere in the 50-60% range and a significant percentage of that would still have some kind of minor issues.

When PS3's switched from the Emotion Engine to software emulation, there was still only roughly 80% compatibility, so saying all PS3's play PS2 games is only partially accurate.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The PS5 has a good shot of emulating a LOT of PS3 titles, but based on what it takes to run RPCS3 and how they perform, it looks like "compatibility" would be somewhere in the 50-60% range and a significant percentage of that would still have some kind of minor issues.

When PS3's switched from the Emotion Engine to software emulation, there was still only roughly 80% compatibility, so saying all PS3's play PS2 games is only partially accurate.

80% still means all ps3's run ps2 games, you can get technical about it if you want. 

Most emulators improve over time but let's face it, Sony won't do anything with the PS3 and it's hard to tell how many people are going to remain interested in RPCS3. Most people here owned a ps3 at some stage or still do today. It looks fine on the 4k TV and honestly I don't see the point in emulation except for the OP's point.

Here's the compatibility list.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I don't think you understand how percentages work.

Uhu, I did not say said all ps3's play all ps2 games, if I did then the %80 factor would mean something. 

Did you edit what I wrote so it looks like "80% still means all"? as opposed to "80% still means all ps3's run ps2 games".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 6:04 AM, Helyx said:

I don't think you understand how percentages work.

I don't think you understand what he wrote.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:20 AM, Helyx said:

No, you said it all by yourself.

You literally edited his post to make it look like he said something else.

Let me break it down for you: PS3s playing 80% of PS2 games still means that all PS3s play PS2 games, it's just that they play 80% of the PS2 games instead of all. That is what he wrote, and what you obviously misunderstood. The fact that you even got reputation for it is even worse.

• Like 1