Help with keyboard

Mori

I just bought the game, tested my keyboard on my PS4 and was good to go. 

When I boot up the game, my keyboard gets disconnected.

Do I really need to buy a special keyboard to play CotN?

If so, can anyone recommend some or one keyboard, which does not cost a fortune and gets the job done? I didnt find much during my research.

• Like 2

Do you have a xim4 or xim apex? If so I don't think every keyboard is supported ( Majority are )

This game doesn't have keyboard support and requires a xim4 which is around £120 to £150 or xim apex at around £90 to £110

Edited by lilpain97
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lilpain97 said:

Do you have a xim4 or xim apex? If so I don't think every keyboard is supported ( Majority are )

This game doesn't have keyboard support and requires a xim4 which is around £120 to £150 or xim apex at around £90 to £110

https://gamezone.no/avdelinger/spill/playstation-4/ps4-tilbehør/mus-og-tastatur/xim-apex-mustastatur-adapter-ps4-xim-4-oppfølgeren-perfeksjonert-134562-p0000063618

If I was to buy one in Norway. That's 182GBP. :( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Only reason my games sat at 70% simply don't have the money. Look up a xim apex ( still expensive tbh ) usually a lot cheaper than xim4

12 hours ago, Mori said:

Damn, didnt expect it to be so expensive. I've used my LG Keyboard and Mouse via USB, seems to be no good.

Well I better start saving some money. 1f635.png

I wouldn't bother investing money till you unlock Coda OR want to use it on Bolt for a all characters run. 

21 minutes ago, lilpain97 said:

I wouldn't bother investing money till you unlock Coda OR want to use it on Bolt for a all characters run. 

I thought about playing on a PAD first and switching later. Maybe thats counter-productive, because I have to get used to keyboard then, instead of playing with it from beginning?

But I think I'll take your advice.

Thanks for your Input.

48 minutes ago, Mori said:

I thought about playing on a PAD first and switching later. Maybe thats counter-productive, because I have to get used to keyboard then, instead of playing with it from beginning?

Thanks for your Input.

Well im playing pad and now practice on my pc, the controls are straight forward and you can easily just re map them. 

11 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I'd recommend just saving your money and using the controller. It's got a slightly steeper learning curve, particularly on Coda/Bolt but it's still possible to do if you train your thumb to keep a beat for long enough.

Id say this, unless you're me and physically can't do it on controller ( my hand cramps up really bad in just a few secs and yes I have tried training to last longer but it just doesn't work ) I find keyboard comfortable and get cramp way less.

As slim said, its possible on controller I have done DM without skipping a beat on it a few times as Bolt and Slim has gotten to z3,4 as Coda ( I think 3,4 or 3,3 ) it will probably be harder but saves you the 100+ 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I'd recommend just saving your money and using the controller. It's got a slightly steeper learning curve, particularly on Coda/Bolt but it's still possible to do if you train your thumb to keep a beat for long enough.

Are you only using your D-Pad for movement? Or do you have the movement directions also on the four bottons? (X, Square etc.)

I've read somewhere, that this could eventually help during Coda runs (or other faster beat intervals)

Though I havent played the game yet, except the tutorial, so I dont have any clue, how the game really works.

Edited by Mori

2 hours ago, Mori said:

Are you only using your D-Pad for movement? Or do you have the movement directions also on the four bottons? (X, Square etc.)

I've read somewhere, that this could eventually help during Coda runs (or other faster beat intervals)

Though I havent played the game yet, except the tutorial, so I dont have any clue, how the game really works.

I'm only using the D-pad, I keep the four buttons mapped to use spells/food etc.. 

I reckon that would actually make it harder, because for faster sections you'd be alternating movements between the d-pad and the buttons, which would make things super confusing on top of trying not to get hit by anything and not walk into any money.

As @lilpain97 pointed out, my PB on Coda is zone 3-4 so far after around 75-80 hours of playing with the controller. I've practiced enough to the point now where I can consistently kill death metal without a freeze spell and without missing a beat so it's definitely possible to do with a controller, it just takes practice and slightly more patience while you wait for your stamina with your thumb to increase. There's certain items & exploits you can also get throughout your runs that make keeping a beat much easier. I was going to make a topic outlining everything i've learned about playing Coda so far to help others at some point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

I'm only using the D-pad, I keep the four buttons mapped to use spells/food etc.. 

I reckon that would actually make it harder, because for faster sections you'd be alternating movements between the d-pad and the buttons, which would make things super confusing on top of trying not to get hit by anything and not walk into any money.

As @lilpain97 pointed out, my PB on Coda is zone 3-4 so far after around 75-80 hours of playing with the controller. I've practiced enough to the point now where I can consistently kill death metal without a freeze spell and without missing a beat so it's definitely possible to do with a controller, it just takes practice and slightly more patience while you wait for your stamina with your thumb to increase. There's certain items & exploits you can also get throughout your runs that make keeping a beat much easier. I was going to make a topic outlining everything i've learned about playing Coda so far to help others at some point.

It definitely will take some time, before I jump into the game, due to my backlog, so I am really looking forward to your topic. 

GL with Coda, it seems you are not that far from getting the trophy soon, I guess.

On 8-9-2018 at 0:47 PM, Mori said:

Thanks for your Input.

Far from being counter-productive I'd say. I switched to keyboard after playing for about 150+ hours and managed to adjust to the keyboard fairly quickly. It just take some practice to get that muscle memory, but other than that you should have no issue with keeping up the beat since by then you should be fairly familair with the BPM's of the song.

23 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

So did everyone with the plat buy a keyboard? :D Is it really that bad with the dualshock 4?

I certainly did. As for the others I have no clue. All of them are Asians and most of them barely speak English, so putting up a conversation with them is pretty tough. Especially since most of them use google translate and you get those really weird broken sentences.

It's quite bad with the DS4 imo. I really prefer using a keyboard. This game was originally made for PC anyways, so it feels a lot more natural using a keyboard. It's certainly not impossible with DS4, but it makes it more annoying for sure and you probably spend more time practicing on it.

Even though keyboard makes it slightly easier, don't think it's going to be something you'll cheese everything with. The best Coda player in the world (SpootyBiscuit) took 2 months to clear an Coda All Zones Mode using a keyboard. Several PC players mentioned practicing 2-3 months either before getting a Coda clear. As for myself I took around 2 months as well for my first clear using a keyboard.. so it's still a huge achievement regardeless.

21 hours ago, SlimSanta94 said:

It's really impressive getting that far into the run by only using a controller. If you can make it to Zone 3-4, you can certainly finish it. I have faith in you Santa :) To be fair Zone 4 isn't that bad. By the time you reach that point you should have a good build (Phasing + bombs) which makes it fairly doable, HOWEVER there's one really big issue that I'd like to warn you beforehand. I'd suggest not stepping into other rooms other than the start + exit room (Maybe shop too). If you step into other rooms you'll attrackt a lot more enemies at once, and since Zone 4 is relatively small this means that there's a lot of enemies into a very small space which means that is going to lagg. Yes it literally starts to lagg. It'll catch you off guard and makes you instantly lose beat, thus kill you.. It killed me several times during my run.. super annoying. Really need to be careful about that since you dont want to start all over again.

Edited by Floriiss
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2018 at 10:14 AM, Floriiss said:

It's really impressive getting that far into the run by only using a controller. If you can make it to Zone 3-4, you can certainly finish it. I have faith in you Santa :) To be fair Zone 4 isn't that bad. By the time you reach that point you should have a good build (Phasing + bombs) which makes it fairly doable, HOWEVER there's one really big issue that I'd like to warn you beforehand. I'd suggest not stepping into other rooms other than the start + exit room (Maybe shop too). If you step into other rooms you'll attrackt a lot more enemies at once, and since Zone 4 is relatively small this means that there's a lot of enemies into a very small space which means that is going to lagg. Yes it literally starts to lagg. It'll catch you off guard and makes you instantly lose beat, thus kill you.. It killed me several times during my run.. super annoying. Really need to be careful about that since you dont want to start all over again.

Thank you man :) Definitely, it's just trying to control your nerves at that point that is the main issue. I've always found zone 1 to be the hardest because of the lack of gear you have and the fact that there's a lot more bats compared to the later zones, I lose over 90% of my runs on zone 1 xD Yeah i've heard about that, because Coda isn't difficult enough as it is! i'll keep that in mind when I reach zone 4, I haven't had much practice with the ring of phasing so i'm putting some time into practicing on seeded runs before going for the trophy again :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also recommend a keyboard. Seems like the consensus in the COTND community is that it's possible to do it with a controller, but it's much harder.

And yeah, Zone 4 isn't hard once you get there. Might take a few tries. You're mostly dealing with nerves at that point rather than a difference in skill between zone 3 & 4.