The grind of RNG seems even worse than it was in Yakuza Zero

DaveMcDamage

Look, I'm not trying to change your mind about the game. Frankly, based on your posts, you should walk away from the series and never give it another thought.

I'm just saying, as someone who has been playing and following the series since the first game was released on the PS2, that Yakuza 2 has always been a fan favorite among the community. It is in no way considered to have the worst story.

Edited by cckerberos
  • Like 3

Gotta agree with cckerberos here. Kiwami 2 to me was a big step-up and almost rivals yakuza 0 in terms of quality but falls just a little short imo. 

And reading your posts, it's the plat that's ruining your experience and not the game itself. I understand that the plat can be frustrating when going for the 100% but the game itself is not to blame. 

And I am not sure what prompted you to say that Yakuza 2 is considered one of the worst. Actually it usually falls in 2nd or 3rd place after 0 or the 5th one according to those who played the series. I think the one you're referring to is yakuza 3. 

Take my opinion though with a grain of salt because this is coming from someone who only played 0,1,2 and loves everything about the series no matter what flaws it may have

Edited by PooPooBlast
Edit: Played all yakuzas and spin-offs. They're all freaking awesome :D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I did all the climax stuff. Now saved at chapter 4 on legend. Will be back to vent when I have to replay chapter 9 or whatever the driving level is, over and over and over again. 

Congrats for doing the climax battles. Chapter 9 shouldn't be too hard as long as you don't try to shoot enemies mindlessly, only spam shot an enemy when his circle is almost red, and at the truck section focus on the cars instead of the rocket launcher dude.

Edited by kanzenchaos

Guys I tried to click multiquote but cannot get it to work so will just do it the proper way by addressing you all haha. 

Ccker - 

I'm fairly certain the video I saw that states Yakuza 2 as having the worst sales and least fan appreciation was on a video called 15 things to know about Kiwami 2 on Youtube. But yes indeed., Kiwami will be my final Yakuza game once I get the plat. 

PooPoo - 

Yeah the plat is indeed a bitch but yes the game is also to blame. Bad mechanics, clunky controls etc cost so many errors and call for too many retries. You basically get good by mastering the brokeness. 

Kanzen - 

Yeah I just had my first go on chapter 9. By the time I got to the rocket guys on the truck I had lost both too much energy and vehicle damage. Aside from the crap save issue of chapter 9, this is much harder than the driving section in Zero. Also read its harder than the original Yakuza version as there must have been a save just after the boss battle or something. Gonna watch some vid guides on this section for clearer pointers. 

Chapter 9... the ultimate game killer. 

As if the climax battles weren't enough, they go and do this. To be fair I had read previously how they broke this from the original but you can't appreciate how dire this is until you experience it. I had two goes and it broke me. I  could not spend another moment playing this untested pile of s**t. It Zero it was tough and I think I did it on my 4th or 5th attempt. But Kiwami throws game development structure and common sense out of the window with this. Why did they think on such a difficult section that having to replay the whole section would be fun time and time again. 

Anyway this morning I started a new profile and playing Spiderman. Cool sale on PS4 store if you haven't got it already. Plus there's the bonus that its not a Japanese dev team behind it and they know how to build a game. 

Even to me that sounds like the ultimate bitch vent but I f**king hated this game man. Don't go for trophies and you have a joke or a game with very little to do. Go for trophies and you see how broken the game is, how insanely grindy and repetitive it is. And whilst the devs claim they want to create games for an adult audience the design seems more based for kids who love repetition. 

Kanzen. You're an awesome bloke and wish you all the best lad. Hope Kiwami 2 keeps feeding your Yakuza buzz. 

2 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

That's sad dude =/, hope you still try it a few more times, I'm sure you can get it. After that everything else is pretty easy.

My Kiwami 2 copy arrived today, I still want to finish a few PS3 games before I play it though (even though I can't wait to start it lol)

Nah mate. I deleted the game and all save files before moving on to the new profile. Thats how much I hated it. 

Before I quite though I was looking around the net. There is still no release date for Yakuza 3 remaster even though its been out in Japan since August, and the devs recently announced Yakuza 4 remaster for PS4. Its on their Facebook page. 

But its been an absolute pleasure to have met you, Kanzen. Take care lad, and all the best for the new year. 

2 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Nah mate. I deleted the game and all save files before moving on to the new profile. Thats how much I hated it. 

Before I quite though I was looking around the net. There is still no release date for Yakuza 3 remaster even though its been out in Japan since August, and the devs recently announced Yakuza 4 remaster for PS4. Its on their Facebook page. 

But its been an absolute pleasure to have met you, Kanzen. Take care lad, and all the best for the new year. 

Thanks dude, merry christmas and new year for you as well.

About the Yakuza 3, 4 & 5 remasters, Sega always done this when localizing Yakuza games, the translation team takes a long time to bring them to the west, and atm they are working on Judgment (which will also include an english dub + licensed song(s)).

Though I can't see why they can't release them here asap, since these games already have complete translations for PS3 lol

14 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Though I can't see why they can't release them here asap, since these games already have complete translations for PS3 lol

Yakuza 3 was translated by a different localization team, so I think they want to redo it.

Otherwise, I think they may just want to not release too much Yakuza too quickly. The games are very similar and I think a lot of people burn themselves out if they play too many too quickly.

6 hours ago, cckerberos said:

Yakuza 3 was translated by a different localization team, so I think they want to redo it.

Otherwise, I think they may just want to not release too much Yakuza too quickly. The games are very similar and I think a lot of people burn themselves out if they play too many too quickly.

That makes sense.

Whilst I bet older players of Yakuza 2 really enjoyed the refreshing changes to Kiwami 2, as well as it being much more advanced that Zero or Kiwami for new players to the franchise, I think going to Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 that are just getting remastered with graphic enhancements could be a bit weird. Probably not so much for the older gamers who already played those, but new gamers who will enjoy the Kiwami 2 enhancements and then have to drop back again to the old engine for Yakuza 3.

It was Yakuza 4 or 5 I was looking forward to the most after Kiwami 2 as I heard you got to play as Majima's sworn brother as well as about 3 other characters. 

EDIT

Well even though I deleted the hard drive I always back up my games on USB because I don't have ps+. reinstalled the game and after 30 something attempts I actually finished the car chases last night. Legs were shaking like jelly. Should be able to get the platinum once I get home from work tonight. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

On 19/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Well even though I deleted the hard drive I always back up my games on USB because I don't have ps+. reinstalled the game and after 30 something attempts I actually finished the car chases last night. Legs were shaking like jelly. Should be able to get the platinum once I get home from work tonight. 

Nice dude, congrats on the plat! (everything after car chase is ez)

• 3 years later...

I think I know why this guy (author of this thread) was getting frustrated, it's because he's trying to maintain a 100 percent trophy account. When you focus entirely on the trophies and platinum and brush away the actual enjoyment of the game, you are going to have a hard time.

I'm also sort of baffled that this same guy was practically shitting on a Japanese dev team, yet he posts that he played Spider-Man. I assume Marvel's Spider-Man at the time of the post. Overall I did enjoy that game, it has superior graphics as opposed to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 (apart from the cinematic cutscenes), but apart from some of the characters I found the game pretty boring most of the time. It offered the same superhero storyline that we've all seen before. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was even worse. Very formulaic, very stale, just a dull adventure with a kid named Miles that I didn't really care about in the end.

I've respected Insomniac Games for a long time however. They instill their own brand of humor and sense of fun. But did this guy not understand that most any open world game is going to have grind and repetition? The only open world game that I have played in all of my years of existence where I didn't feel I was going towards the grind was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Maybe the original Red Dead Redemption.... to an extent, but there were still some activities in that game that I didn't like, but I needed to do them for completionist sakes.

Ubisoft games are far, far worse when it comes to endless grind and repetition. Both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 are far more refreshing, unique and have worthwhile side content as opposed to doing mindless chest crap in Assassin's Creed Unity, or doing all that boring side content in Far Cry Primal that all felt the same after 20 - 30 hours of play. Most any open world game has a checklist and it's going to feel like a grind when you go thru it, if it doesn't feel like that then it's probably a masterpiece, which goes back to me pointing out The Witcher 3.

This is all subjective and my own opinion of course. But this dude who made this thread calling Kiwami 1 an untested pile of bullshit. Yeah. Obviously he didn't play too many Ubisoft open world games or Bethesda games for that matter. Far buggier, far less polished and far more tedious, if I'm going to compare their games that came out in the same time period that both Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 1 were first released.

Saying this game is broken... I don't know where this dude was coming from. I think it's fair to say the guy who made the first post at the top of this page (third page) actually had a point, that the thread creator didn't even bother to reply to. I just think his opinion was off, regardless of the rants.

Edited by AJ_Radio
typo
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I think I know why this guy (author of this thread) was getting frustrated, it's because he's trying to maintain a 100 percent trophy account. When you focus entirely on the trophies and platinum and brush away the actual enjoyment of the game, you are going to have a hard time.

I'm also sort of baffled that this same guy was practically shitting on a Japanese dev team, yet he posts that he played Spider-Man. I assume Marvel's Spider-Man at the time of the post. Overall I did enjoy that game, it has superior graphics as opposed to Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 (apart from the cinematic cutscenes), but apart from some of the characters I found the game pretty boring most of the time. It offered the same superhero storyline that we've all seen before. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales was even worse. Very formulaic, very stale, just a dull adventure with a kid named Miles that I didn't really care about in the end.

I've respected Insomniac Games for a long time however. They instill their own brand of humor and sense of fun. But did this guy not understand that most any open world game is going to have grind and repetition? The only open world game that I have played in all of my years of existence where I didn't feel I was going towards the grind was The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Maybe the original Red Dead Redemption.... to an extent, but there were still some activities in that game that I didn't like, but I needed to do them for completionist sakes.

Ubisoft games are far, far worse when it comes to endless grind and repetition. Both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 are far more refreshing, unique and have worthwhile side content as opposed to doing mindless chest crap in Assassin's Creed Unity, or doing all that boring side content in Far Cry Primal that all felt the same after 20 - 30 hours of play. Most any open world game has a checklist and it's going to feel like a grind when you go thru it, if it doesn't feel like that then it's probably a masterpiece, which goes back to me pointing out The Witcher 3.

This is all subjective and my own opinion of course. But this dude who made this thread calling Kiwami 1 an untested pile of bullshit. Yeah. Obviously he didn't play too many Ubisoft open world games or Bethesda games for that matter. Far buggier, far less polished and far more tedious, if I'm going to compare their games that came out in the same time period that both Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 1 were first released.

Saying this game is broken... I don't know where this dude was coming from. I think it's fair to say the guy who made the first post at the top of this page (third page) actually had a point, that the thread creator didn't even bother to reply to. I just think his opinion was off, regardless of the rants.

Yes and no to yakuza being fresh. If its your first time playing them, they will feel very fresh and different. But having completed yakuza zero, kiwami, kiwami 2, yakuza 3 and judgement they all have an interesting story but sub stories and minigames are largely the same in my opinion. I never thought the sub stories were that great. The minigames ive always thought were fun except for mahjong which i almost fall asleep to everytime i play it.

The yakuza series are still fun though even though the “fresh” experience wears off eventually.

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Yes and no to yakuza being fresh. If its your first time playing them, they will feel very fresh and different. But having completed yakuza zero, kiwami, kiwami 2, yakuza 3 and judgement they all have an interesting story but sub stories and minigames are largely the same in my opinion. I never thought the sub stories were that great. The minigames ive always thought were fun except for mahjong which i almost fall asleep to everytime i play it.

The yakuza series are still fun though even though the “fresh” experience wears off eventually.

I'm never going to say the substories are great. The open world genre has practically been beaten to death at this point. It's only fair that we agree on this.

Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 1 feel a step above Ubisoft games. Sure, the graphics are better in those Ubisoft games, but I'm not somebody who cares about graphical fidelity. Japanese game developers are still human at the end of the day. They are flawed just like anybody else.

Maybe this guy prefers the original Yakuza games that released back in the PS2 days, I don't know. His arguments he made on Kiwami 1 being broken are I think stupid.

Yakuza to you is probably like Assassin's Creed to me.

Edited by AJ_Radio

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm never going to say the substories are great. The open world genre has practically been beaten to death at this point. It's only fair that we agree on this.

Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 1 feel a step above Ubisoft games. Sure, the graphics are better in those Ubisoft games, but I'm not somebody who cares about graphical fidelity. Japanese game developers are still human at the end of the day. They are flawed just like anybody else.

Maybe this guy prefers the original Yakuza games that released back in the PS2 days, I don't know. His arguments he made on Kiwami 1 being broken are I think stupid.

Yakuza to you is probably like Assassin's Creed to me.

I don't like talking to you, but looking back at my original post I have to say I did come across like a soft bitch. 

But I stand by my opinion of the RNG frustration from the RRG devs. Its every single game, and in most Japanese games. Its been like that since they were big in the 80's to losing form in the 2000's with the exception of the odd few. There is a difference between challenge and luck based frustration. And in Kiwami (if thats the thread you reopened as I must have played that game about two years ago?) they did indeed remove some (maybe just one) checkpoint which could lead to a very frustrating experience on chapter 9 legend mode. 

As I said I don't like talking to you, or even reading anything from you, but it has nothing to do with a completion streak or anything, just bad game development in places. Its actually one of my favourite series despite 3 & 5. But you cannot talk about Yakuza and mention 'fresh' in the same sentence. Come on man, even for you thats taking the piss a bit. Same maps, same characters, we were overly generous when it comes to Japanese story telling in games. And for the most part the characters had the same frikkin clothes. So don't use fresh when it comes to RGG, thats the one thing they definitely are not. And now they're doing the same with the god awful Judgment series. 

7 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I don't like talking to you, but looking back at my original post I have to say I did come across like a soft bitch. 

As I said I don't like talking to you, or even reading anything from you,

I already got the hint when I commented on your other topic on Retro Gaming. You were quoting other peoples posts but you literally shoved mine aside. So I'm going to do the same to you, because I'm not going to keep tip toeing around to try not to offend somebody out there who doesn't like my content.

But I stand by my opinion of the RNG frustration from the RRG devs. Its every single game, and in most Japanese games. Its been like that since they were big in the 80's to losing form in the 2000's with the exception of the odd few. There is a difference between challenge and luck based frustration. And in Kiwami (if thats the thread you reopened as I must have played that game about two years ago?) they did indeed remove some (maybe just one) checkpoint which could lead to a very frustrating experience on chapter 9 legend mode.

I will agree that there's a bunch of RNG elements that can be overly frustrating. The Mahjong requirements, for one. Although I hear there is stuff that can help you in Mahjong in Kiwami 1 as opposed to Zero where you basically had to get lucky to get a Full Straight for example. The Climax Battles, I'm not that good at melee combat in a lot of games. Took me a long time to get the combat related trophies in all of the Batman Arkham games I played. Proving Grounds 9 & 10 in Zero took me 50+ attempts. Some of the Climax Battles were not that fun, so I definitely understand.

But simply calling most Japanese games losing form, I just have to disagree on that. I'm not somebody who blindly defends Japanese titles, I'm honestly not that much into Japanese culture itself even though I find it fascinating from time to time. But cmon man. A fair chunk of the greatest games of the 2000s came from Japanese developers. Metal Gear Solid 2 thru 4. You played and finished Metal Gear Solid V so I assume you already had a strong feel for the franchise in the past.

I definitely heard a great deal about the car chase in Legend. It's going to take me a couple weeks at least before I'll get to that point, but nonetheless I'm looking forward to my Legend difficulty run.

Its actually one of my favourite series despite 3 & 5. But you cannot talk about Yakuza and mention 'fresh' in the same sentence. Come on man, even for you thats taking the piss a bit. Same maps, same characters, we were overly generous when it comes to Japanese story telling in games. And for the most part the characters had the same frikkin clothes. So don't use fresh when it comes to RGG, thats the one thing they definitely are not. And now they're doing the same with the god awful Judgment series. 

I admit I got a bit too far there with the 'fresh' bit. When you strip away the characters and themes, these Yakuza games have much of the same structure as the western open world games.

Honestly to me I just think Yakuza is a more refreshing experience than Ubisoft games. You can definitely compare Yakuza Zero and Kiwami 1 to Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood. Both sequels ran on their same game engines as their predecessors. Both featured a lot of the same characters. Ezio Auditore was given a new outfit for Brotherhood. Desmond Miles and company were very much in tune between the two games.

I've already watched some cutscenes and game footage of Yakuza: Like A Dragon so I totally understand people not liking it as it's a departure from the past entries. I just can't see where you're really coming from here.

Also calling the Judgment series god awful.... don't know about that one. However, Japan isn't immune to its share of crap. Just look at how Square Enix has treated Final Fantasy, Capcom's constant indulgence in cranking out sequels, Konami releasing crap in regards to their later stuff after Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

I will agree with you in that Kiwami 1's story is not nearly as good as the story in Zero.