EA sales slump $350mm, Battlefield V to blame?

Bullstomp

On 12/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, Durandal said:

They still make way too much money if you ask me. Year after year the same lineup the same games with only minor changes, especially their sport games, and worst of all they push the microtransactions to a new level with each new game. A cynic would argue that they no longer care for either the games nor the gamers but only for their shareholders, oh wait ...

Truth be told they should make huge losses year after year until they remember what their customers expect from them. But then again all the big publishers are doing the same but some of them at least are trying harder to please their customers. EA doesn't, instead they shut down studio after studio because they don't make enough money or shut down well loved franchises for the same reason. And worst of all is the arrogance in their statements, it sounds like they are making the greatest games that everyone wants. Nothing can be further from the truth if you ask me.

YES! I miss the mid 2000s where EA used to innovate and give newer developers a chance releasing Dead Space, MIrror's Edge, Black, classic bioware etc. These were unique ideas and fans loved them. The rare exceptions this gen were Titanfall and Unravel. Now they're too eager to play it safe and milk the existing franchises yet they ignore obvious moneymakers like a skate 4 or a new genre bending game that will change things. Gaming needs another Alan Wake or a Half Life, not those exact games but a game that will have the same effect as those games. I feel like gaming is advancing with technology but not with creative innovation. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, acemilo98 said:

YES! I miss the mid 2000s where EA used to innovate and give newer developers a chance releasing Dead Space, MIrror's Edge, Black, classic bioware etc. These were unique ideas and fans loved them. The rare exceptions this gen were Titanfall and Unravel. Now they're too eager to play it safe and milk the existing franchises yet they ignore obvious moneymakers like a skate 4 or a new genre bending game that will change things. Gaming needs another Alan Wake or a Half Life, not those exact games but a game that will have the same effect as those games. I feel like gaming is advancing with technology but not with creative innovation. 

There's a few more than. Titan Fall 2, Unravel, A Way Out, Sea of Solitude, Fe, PvZ,..but one of the big reasons indie devs don't need big publishers is because it's easier to self-publish now with things like Kickstarter and digital-only releases.

Not sure why EA is matters when it comes to making games like  Alan Wake or Half Life. Gaming is bigger than ever and if you actually look, honestly look, you probably could find fairly decent games in indie devs. 

@acemilo98 Exactly! I remember when EA took risks by exploring the market like you said. Of course games back then weren't so expansive to make but games like Divinity Original Sin can be successful without a huge budget and fancy eye candy. It seems most big publishers have lost touch with their fan base and just care about profit. Sounds like a cliché but it true. The next loss will be Blizzard. They are already under huge pressure from Activision and it seems they have finally lost what they always cared most for, independence and creative freedom. But thank god there are still so many great studios that continue to give us great games. No one really needs EA anymore, at least not in its current form.

• Like 4

Well, they are clearly going out of business - just like Nintendo did after the poor sales of the wii-U. 

Oh wait, no, that was just a bunch of armchair analysts spouting hot air.

They’ll have bad years, then good ones, then bad ones, then good ones, and so the cycle of business shall continue, as ever it was thus.

18 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, they are clearly going out of business - just like Nintendo did after the poor sales of the wii-U. 

Oh wait, no, that was just a bunch of armchair analysts spouting hot air.

They’ll have bad years, then good ones, then bad ones, then good ones, and so the cycle of business shall continue, as ever it was thus.

You mean like THQ and TellTale? Yeah, I never thought they were going anywhere either.

• Like 4

A comparision between Nintendo and EA is pointless, first thing first, the wii-u isn't the only system  they sold at the time, second, Nintendo has way more exclusive games to their brand that cannot be replicated  by others, something like Battlefield, losing the "gimmick" of historical accuracy  and worsening the gameplay can easily be replicated by more effective shooters like the  Call of Duty franchise, which even if it got a backlash due to no single player campaign sold more than Battlefield 5, third  Nintendo didn't suffer from  major backlashes on titles due to their toxic pr  on games like Battlefront 2, Battlefield 5, Andromeda etc.

EA closing is next to impossible but with how things are going and the tech stock market taking an hit  I wouldn't be surprised if they close some studios like bioware, and I wouldn't mind that, after all, EA were the ones to close the Orgin Systems   and push Dragon Age's focus on  romantic relationship  not caring at all if the battle gameplay is shitty  in modern rpg.