Let's Play Ys

• 1 month later...

I finally started Ys Origin and the game reminds me of old school RPGs. 

On 21-7-2019 at 5:36 PM, Leon Castle said:

I liked all of it... still the Origin of Life was a pain on nightmare, the final boss was too until I learned you could make use of break enchantment equipment (The damn beast got no chance to use it's all killing move thanks to me breaking it to death). then Griselda was talking to Adol and mentioned "Celceta" which made me interested in playing Ys IV, that said I finished Ys IV: Memories of Celceta so I like a Leeza trophy.

Next Ys I do(After i get them of course) would be the Esteria trilogy(Ys I & II and Ys Origin)

Here you are, one Celceta trophy:

xM5SwDs.png

• Like 1

So, the guide for Ys Origin says to do 3 regular playthroughs and 3 Nightmare playthroughs. If I understand it correctly, the 3 Nightmare playthroughs are to unlock something for the bonus shop. But that can also be unlocked by doing a playthrough on Easy, Normal, and Hard with each of the 3 characters, right? If so, what's faster: doing a Nightmare run with each character or an Easy + Hard run with each character?

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

So, the guide for Ys Origin says to do 3 regular playthroughs and 3 Nightmare playthroughs. If I understand it correctly, the 3 Nightmare playthroughs are to unlock something for the bonus shop. But that can also be unlocked by doing a playthrough on Easy, Normal, and Hard with each of the 3 characters, right? If so, what's faster: doing a Nightmare run with each character or an Easy + Hard run with each character?

The fastest way is to do 3 regular playthroughs and 3 nightmare playthroughs.  To unlock one of the bonus shop items without 3 nightmare runs you'd end up needing 10 playthroughs, because that's easy, normal AND hard for each character, plus a nightmare run for the remaining difficulty trophies, so it will amount to more time spent in the end.  Nightmare in Ys Origin is very doable, just grind to 2 levels above the bosses, if you still are doing terrible, grind another level or two.  Even with Toal, you can beat the game in the early 50s, so you'll have room for extra grinding if you are terrible at it like I was the first time I did Toal's on nightmare.  Toal is quite hard at the beginning because he gets some very hard bosses that aren't on other routes, but once you are past the guilty fire it's pretty smooth sailing.

I would recommend easy for at least one character in your regular runs.  That will speed up grinding to level 60 because you'll be able to use the strongest enemies for longer rather than quickly killing weak enemies with a x1.99 multiplier.  You can do easy for all three if you want, you'll get the trophy for normal and above with all three with the nightmare runs if you do that.

• Like 1

On 2-9-2019 at 11:58 PM, ladynadiad said:

The fastest way is to do 3 regular playthroughs and 3 nightmare playthroughs.  To unlock one of the bonus shop items without 3 nightmare runs you'd end up needing 10 playthroughs, because that's easy, normal AND hard for each character, plus a nightmare run for the remaining difficulty trophies, so it will amount to more time spent in the end.  Nightmare in Ys Origin is very doable, just grind to 2 levels above the bosses, if you still are doing terrible, grind another level or two.  Even with Toal, you can beat the game in the early 50s, so you'll have room for extra grinding if you are terrible at it like I was the first time I did Toal's on nightmare.  Toal is quite hard at the beginning because he gets some very hard bosses that aren't on other routes, but once you are past the guilty fire it's pretty smooth sailing.

I would recommend easy for at least one character in your regular runs.  That will speed up grinding to level 60 because you'll be able to use the strongest enemies for longer rather than quickly killing weak enemies with a x1.99 multiplier.  You can do easy for all three if you want, you'll get the trophy for normal and above with all three with the nightmare runs if you do that.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Is there a lot of difference in exp earned between difficulties? I noticed the amount goes down when leveling up, so reaching lvl 60 will be a long grind on Normal.

14 minutes ago, jasondm300 said:

I completed Celceta awhile ago, and I am waiting to make Dana plat 225, so should have that within the next week or so.  One of my favorite series.  I will get origins done eventually 

Congrats with completing Celceta. Dana will make for a fine milestone plat. 

Which trophy do you want for platting Celceta?

30 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Is there a lot of difference in exp earned between difficulties? I noticed the amount goes down when leveling up, so reaching lvl 60 will be a long grind on Normal.

Pretty much it comes down to the fact that with each level you gain, monsters give less experience until eventually they give 1 without any bonus.  However, by keeping up attacking you can build up a multiplier for experience up to 1.99 and pretty much get double experience as long as you keep up a chain.  However, I highly recommend when you get to the point of grinding solely for level 60 to save every time you gain a level in case you run into a crash like I did.

So pretty much the strongest non-boss enemies will eventually drop to giving less than 10 xp per kill and for the amount of time they take to kill despite that, it actually becomes more effective timewise to grind in an area with a larger concentration of easy kills.  The level this happens at comes sooner the higher the difficulty, so it will speed things up a lot if you can use the strongest non-boss monsters for longer.  After that area becomes less effective you'll be looking at killing over 8000 easy monsters in an area of high monster concentration as quickly as you can for each level.  It's going to be time consuming, but I've definitely seen worse grinds.

• Like 1

Hi there! I've completed Ys origin and VIII for the PS4 and the Vita version of Celceta. This series has become one of my favorites and I am looking forward to playing monstrum nox if it gets localized hopefully.

For the trophy rewards: 

Karna - Celceta

Laxia - VIII

Toal - Origin

Edited by Whitelightnin683
Mistake

On 4-9-2019 at 8:08 PM, ladynadiad said:

Pretty much it comes down to the fact that with each level you gain, monsters give less experience until eventually they give 1 without any bonus.  However, by keeping up attacking you can build up a multiplier for experience up to 1.99 and pretty much get double experience as long as you keep up a chain.  However, I highly recommend when you get to the point of grinding solely for level 60 to save every time you gain a level in case you run into a crash like I did.

So pretty much the strongest non-boss enemies will eventually drop to giving less than 10 xp per kill and for the amount of time they take to kill despite that, it actually becomes more effective timewise to grind in an area with a larger concentration of easy kills.  The level this happens at comes sooner the higher the difficulty, so it will speed things up a lot if you can use the strongest non-boss monsters for longer.  After that area becomes less effective you'll be looking at killing over 8000 easy monsters in an area of high monster concentration as quickly as you can for each level.  It's going to be time consuming, but I've definitely seen worse grinds.

Managed to clear Nightmare as Toal. His play style fit me the best, so gave it a shot. The start of the game was brutal, especially since his Godspeed skill isn't really meant to use for attacking. I think I spent the most time on the first boss, though that first tower section boss (the giant bug with the arms) was a pain too (mostly due to the lack of an attacking skill), since he spits out a lot of smaller bugs and I couldn't kill them fast enough before he ate them. Once I got the second skill, things went a lot better. I expected to clear the game at level 54-55, since I did it at 51 on Normal, but managed to do it at 52. Now to do it 2 more times...

I have to say, the mantis boss is a cheater too. He spawns those little bugs incredibly fast after they revive the boss. I got lucky when the mantis jumped and pushed me away, the distance was shorter than usual. But even with the Godspeed skill I barely managed to defeat it. Is there an easier way to do it as Yunica and Hugo?

On 4-9-2019 at 8:03 PM, Kishnabe said:

Already Completed:

Celcetta Vita

YSVIII Vita

Planning to play:

YS Origin Vita

YSVIII PS4

Congrats :yay: , which trophies do you want for completing Celceta and VIII?

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Managed to clear Nightmare as Toal. His play style fit me the best, so gave it a shot. The start of the game was brutal, especially since his Godspeed skill isn't really meant to use for attacking. I think I spent the most time on the first boss, though that first tower section boss (the giant bug with the arms) was a pain too (mostly due to the lack of an attacking skill), since he spits out a lot of smaller bugs and I couldn't kill them fast enough before he ate them. Once I got the second skill, things went a lot better. I expected to clear the game at level 54-55, since I did it at 51 on Normal, but managed to do it at 52. Now to do it 2 more times...

I have to say, the mantis boss is a cheater too. He spawns those little bugs incredibly fast after they revive the boss. I got lucky when the mantis jumped and pushed me away, the distance was shorter than usual. But even with the Godspeed skill I barely managed to defeat it. Is there an easier way to do it as Yunica and Hugo?

Well, in good news, Toal's route is actually the hardest on nightmare so if you have that one down, you're pretty set.  Yunica will need a decent amount of grinding, Hugo is pretty easy since he has the shield.  I do nightmare time attack for the trophy with EX Hugo because he's got more range and is overall the easiest for time attack, but if Toal suits you, you definitely can give that a go.  Hugo or Toal are definitely the preferred characters for time attack and arena.

As far as the mantis boss, supposedly if you use their fire skills with boost enabled right as you get knocked back it's easier since their fire skills are ranged, but I never got the timing down.  Instead I learned really well how to dodge every one of the attacks so I could last long enough for the little bugs to stop spawning.  Even on nightmare they eventually grow weaker and don't spawn as quickly until eventually they stop spawning entirely, but you definitely have to know the patterns well to make use of this tactic.  I have way too many hours invested into trying to beat nightmare time attack on the Steam version, so I know the patterns very well.

On 6-9-2019 at 7:09 PM, ladynadiad said:

Well, in good news, Toal's route is actually the hardest on nightmare so if you have that one down, you're pretty set.  Yunica will need a decent amount of grinding, Hugo is pretty easy since he has the shield.  I do nightmare time attack for the trophy with EX Hugo because he's got more range and is overall the easiest for time attack, but if Toal suits you, you definitely can give that a go.  Hugo or Toal are definitely the preferred characters for time attack and arena.

As far as the mantis boss, supposedly if you use their fire skills with boost enabled right as you get knocked back it's easier since their fire skills are ranged, but I never got the timing down.  Instead I learned really well how to dodge every one of the attacks so I could last long enough for the little bugs to stop spawning.  Even on nightmare they eventually grow weaker and don't spawn as quickly until eventually they stop spawning entirely, but you definitely have to know the patterns well to make use of this tactic.  I have way too many hours invested into trying to beat nightmare time attack on the Steam version, so I know the patterns very well.

You weren't kidding about Yunica, the mantis boss became a fight of attrition. Eventually, I managed to reach the point where the boss stopped spawning those little bugs. Emphasis on the word "eventually" ...

On 4-9-2019 at 8:18 PM, Whitelightnin683 said:

Hi there! I've completed Ys origin and VIII for the PS4 and the Vita version of Celceta. This series has become one of my favorites and I am looking forward to playing monstrum nox if it gets localized hopefully.

For the trophy rewards: 

Karna - Celceta

Laxia - VIII

Toal - Origin

On 4-9-2019 at 11:07 PM, jasondm300 said:

I'm gonna go Karna.  Always was a fan of her

On 7-9-2019 at 4:02 AM, Kishnabe said:

Karna: Celcetta

Adol: VIII

Karna seems to be a popular choice. Is it because you all like the character so much or because of the event trophy image? Here are your trophies, be sure to save them on your computer to have a back up in case something ever happens to imgur.

BVO7SAT.pngvS5vDRA.pngyPIJDCu.png

1aFPcjG.pngWvG0HmC.png

RPYCXeF.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Karna seems to be a popular choice. Is it because you all like the character so much or because of the event trophy image? Here are your trophies, be sure to save them on your computer to have a back up in case something ever happens to imgur.

RPYCXeF.png

Love it.  Also, Dana is now finished as well.  I'll take good old Adol for that one.

4 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

You weren't kidding about Yunica, the mantis boss became a fight of attrition. Eventually, I managed to reach the point where the boss stopped spawning those little bugs. Emphasis on the word "eventually" ...

Yeah, sadly Yunica's damage output just isn't as good as Hugo and Toal's.  Having a ranged fire attack does help since she at least doesn't have to go in close like Toal.  Grinding is pretty much necessary to ensure she can do enough damage, plus you have to make sure you get the weapon upgrades.  Of course I'm sure by now you have their locations down pretty well.

But hey, at least only one area left for her.  I'll also go ahead and give you a nice hint for later on since she gets the harder version of Kishgal.  While it seems like Kishgal would be weak to fire, he's actually weak to lightning.  The fire skill is great for clearing up the icicles, but bolt crash will do the most damage.  By then you'll also have burst and while hers kind of sucks since the human bosses will just move away and/or put up a shield, it's ability to grant immunity to attacks can be a lifesaver with later bosses on nightmare since Yunica doesn't have Godspeed to get the hell out of the way of some of those instant kill attacks.

Good luck and hopefully you're making good use of that nice little glitch that allows for massive SP gains on nightmare.