Worth it to start over with Royal Edition?

ExHaseo

I played FFXV before the DLC was released and got the plat. I just picked up the Royal Edition now that it's gotten a price cut. 

Is it worth it to start a new playthrough, or should I just use my existing save? I want to see everything that was added, but I dont know how much was added into the main game.

If you haven't touched the game since getting your plat, there is definitely enough new material that will make a fresh playthrough worth it. Royal Edition mostly adds content toward the second half, but you've also missed various updates over the past year. If you use your existing save, you'd have to use Chapter Select to see new content and it won't save to your main file anyway (iirc).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Thanks!

I didn't know that a NG+ option was available now. I'll just do that so I can see the new story stuff.

Yup and having the ring of Lucci from the start kinda breaks the game lol so you are truely free to do just about whatever.  Fair warning some of the new bosses are a pain like omega but still I loved all the new stuff and changes especially the regalia modifications

Luckily, I'm not really interested in the Comrades stuff. While it does look like a pain, I'm glad it's at least possible to get them still. I probably wont though. I wasn't planning on doing the Comrades stuff even before hearing it was shut down. I've already got the plat, so I'm happy enough when it comes to trophies.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this, I'll do the same and do a New Game+ playthrough to experience all the DLC and Updates. That said, does anyone know of a good guide to follow for collectibles and such? I would want to make this playthrough one where I get the rest of the trophies (I finished Comrades before it closed, thankfully). 

51 minutes ago, crusher_1220 said:

After reading this, I'll do the same and do a New Game+ playthrough to experience all the DLC and Updates. That said, does anyone know of a good guide to follow for collectibles and such? I would want to make this playthrough one where I get the rest of the trophies (I finished Comrades before it closed, thankfully). 

Depends on what collectibles you're looking for. By now you can find most everything with a Google search, there are more than enough guides out there. There are very few things strictly missable since postgame allows you to catch up.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, angelgrievous said:

Hey, little bump here but I was wondering how difficult it would be starting a New Game for the July update and the Royal update vs. using my NG+ save.  I don't really want to be too over powered but I also don't want to struggle.

Thanks. 

I imagine it would be about as easy or difficult as your first playthrough was. Royal adds several new bosses in the final chapter; most go down easy at max level while one is the game's second superboss. July's boss's recommended level is 99, take that as you will. If you want to go NG+, the beginning of the game will be a breeze but the difficulty will gradually come. You can also equip weaker weapons/outfits no matter which route you choose, then adjust at will.

tl;dr either way is fine. A fresh new game offers a fair amount of challenge toward the second half.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seiyuuki said:

I imagine it would be about as easy or difficult as your first playthrough was. Royal adds several new bosses in the final chapter; most go down easy at max level while one is the game's second superboss. July's boss's recommended level is 99, take that as you will. If you want to go NG+, the beginning of the game will be a breeze but the difficulty will gradually come. You can also equip weaker weapons/outfits no matter which route you choose, then adjust at will.

tl;dr either way is fine. A fresh new game offers a fair amount of challenge toward the second half.

Cool, thanks for the reply.  Still not sure what I'll do but your input will help with my decision.