Dante's "useless" weapons/styles

nudoetcrudo

I finished SoS with all S-rank and I am going through DMD, and I noticed that I always use the same weapon for Dante (Dante, Balrog, Cerberus + Double Kalina, Faust). Is anyone playing the same?

* Faust is OP. Its meteor attack is the strongest of all (at SoS it takes away 1/3 almost of the final boss), "man in the red" is great for damage and keeping style, "hat trick" stuns and pulls enemies towards you.

* Even without considering Faust, guns for me are basically useless, the shotgun is ok for stunning but the rocket launcher is more powerful (double Kalina "cascade" can stop any attack from the final boss, but takes time to set).

* Rebellion and Sparda have the same moveset, and I think Sparda is stronger (didn't test), but Dante has great SW move + SDT.

* Cavaliere is too slow and I never got used to it. I mean, if I have that much time to land a hit I'll just do a real impact (lot of damage + almost guaranteed S-rank). Cerberus is cool for variety to keep the style high.

* I never used Trickster except for the final boss.

I actually play pretty differently. I hate Balrog. I never liked the gauntlet weapons in the DMC series. My set up is mostly Dante and Cerberus (and sometimes Cavaliere) with Faust. I love Faust. I do use the pistols. I always thought of the guns as more of a combo time extender. I also almost ALWAYS use Trickster. I dont even touch Royal Guard. Lol. I use Gunslinger and Swordmaster sometimes, but I honestly stick with Trickster 90% of the time.

• Like 1

I mainly do Swordmaster since the melee weapons seem to be stronger (especially Devil Sword Dante). I feel like I only really get mileage out of Devil Sword Dante though. Balrog is cool but like Gilgamesh in DMC4 I don't really feel the need to use it all that much and against most enemies it feels kind of risky to use. The same kind of goes for the nunchucks too.

As far as ranged weapons go I mainly just use Ebony and Ivory along with Double Kalina Ann in case I want to use the rocket barrage ability. The guns feel more situational for me, but unfortunately I can't really find much use for the shotgun even with charged shots.

Royal Guard Style is helpful when it comes to those Fury enemies especially once you figure out the timing on their teleports. Fighting those things on Son of Sparda is annoying and I dread fighting them on Dante Must Die. I'll use Trickster for bosses that teleport off in the distance so I can close the gap faster but beyond that I also haven't really used it as much as Swordmaster.

10 minutes ago, earthakatsuki said:

I actually play pretty differently. I hate Balrog. I never liked the gauntlet weapons in the DMC series. My set up is mostly Dante and Cerberus (and sometimes Cavaliere) with Faust. I love Faust. I do use the pistols. I always thought of the guns as more of a combo time extender. I also almost ALWAYS use Trickster. I dont even touch Royal Guard. Lol. I use Gunslinger and Swordmaster sometimes, but I honestly stick with Trickster 90% of the time.

Lol that's interesting and actually I can understand why you use it. I always feel that Dante lacks the "side roll" ability (which Nero has) and is less agile without Trickster. That's why I abuse Trickster during the final boss, while with Nero I can just dash.

You should give RG a try, they made it more easy to use in DMC5 (I never used it in DMC4) and if you can master it (my timing is still off) is totally OP. There are some videos on YT of people killing stuff only with perfect blocks and "royal release". And even if your timing is not perfect, you can just do normal blocks consuming DT, then do "royal revenge" using RG gauge (which builds up DT again + stuns the enemy). This is how I easily kill Furies, no effort at all.

1 minute ago, Redgrave said:

I mainly do Swordmaster since the melee weapons seem to be stronger (especially Devil Sword Dante). I feel like I only really get mileage out of Devil Sword Dante though. Balrog is cool but like Gilgamesh in DMC4 I don't really feel the need to use it all that much and against most enemies it feels kind of risky to use. The same kind of goes for the nunchucks too.

Yes, I also do mostly SW. I switch to RG only to build up style (easy trick to S-rank a mission) or against mission 11, 18, and 19 bosses.
Balrog is probably risky at DMD, I'll try, but even at SoS there is usually enough time to do it (I pretty much use it against everything except for Furies, and "real impact" is notably strong).

1 minute ago, Redgrave said:

As far as ranged weapons go I mainly just use Ebony and Ivory along with Double Kalina Ann in case I want to use the rocket barrage ability. The guns feel more situational for me, but unfortunately I can't really find much use for the shotgun even with charged shots.

Royal Guard Style is helpful when it comes to those Fury enemies especially once you figure out the timing on their teleports. Fighting those things on Son of Sparda is annoying and I dread fighting them on Dante Must Die. I'll use Trickster for bosses that teleport off in the distance so I can close the gap faster but beyond that I also haven't really used it as much as Swordmaster.

You should really try Faust. It is maybe a bit slower than Kalina, but the meteor is a one shot kill against anything at SoS and "man in the red" grants constant damage while using close range weapons. Regarding teleport, I can think only of mission 11 boss who does it, but it also takes time to build its attack and doesn't move, so you have plenty of time to smash a meteor against it :D 

Anyway, maybe at DMD none of this will work, I'll check how much I'll struggle this weekend :D 

4 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

Yes, I also do mostly SW. I switch to RG only to build up style (easy trick to S-rank a mission) or against mission 11, 18, and 19 bosses.

Balrog is probably risky at DMD, I'll try, but even at SoS there is usually enough time to do it (I pretty much use it against everything except for Furies, and "real impact" is notably strong).

You should really try Faust. It is maybe a bit slower than Kalina, but the meteor is a one shot kill against anything at SoS and "man in the red" grants constant damage while using close range weapons. Regarding teleport, I can think only of mission 11 boss who does it, but it also takes time to build its attack and doesn't move, so you have plenty of time to smash a meteor against it :D 

Anyway, maybe at DMD none of this will work, I'll check how much I'll struggle this weekend :D 

Yeah with Royal Guard they made the timing more lenient but at the cost of a Devil Trigger bar which is fair if you ask me. I wouldn't mind using it more though since it does look fun to use once you really figure out how to use it.

I'm actually using the Faust now for some orb farming to buy the rest of the abilities I need. It is pretty good, but I was hesitant to use it before because I didn't want to put my orbs on the line :P But I might use it more on DMD provided I don't lose too much orbs at once.

Yeah the Mission 11 boss teleports as does the Mission 17 one. The ones on Mission 18 also have a habit of running off a bit so using Trickster makes it easier to keep up with them. The boss on Mission 19 also teleports but from my experience it's not a good idea to try and teleport close to him especially on the second half. Trickster does help with his more area of affect attacks though, same goes for the one on Mission 16 when it charges up its area of effect attack.

My set is Rebellion for Dance macabre rise style too much, Balrog punch setting not kick and Cavaliere, for fire weapon only Double Kalina ann. I really need to explore  faust i use this only for farming red orbs on mission 13 spamming R1+circle in Gunslinger style 

Cavalliere is very useful against groups of enemies because of the wide range of attacks it has and it's also the only weapon where you can take some damage without using style. There is a use for every single weapon in this game, even though it situational. Take Ebony and Ivory for example, mostly useless but in mission 19 it can be used to keep your style meter up in conjunction with gunslinger while the boss is in DT. Coyote is also very useful with gunslinger in that fight because with that shotgun stinger you can oneshot the doppelganger.

3 hours ago, Redgrave said:

Yeah the Mission 11 boss teleports as does the Mission 17 one. The ones on Mission 18 also have a habit of running off a bit so using Trickster makes it easier to keep up with them. The boss on Mission 19 also teleports but from my experience it's not a good idea to try and teleport close to him especially on the second half. Trickster does help with his more area of affect attacks though, same goes for the one on Mission 16 when it charges up its area of effect attack.

Right, I forgot about mission 17, maybe I even used the meteor as finisher against him (and also in mission 16).

2 hours ago, Neme-ita said:

My set is Rebellion for Dance macabre rise style too much, Balrog punch setting not kick and Cavaliere, for fire weapon only Double Kalina ann. I really need to explore  faust i use this only for farming red orbs on mission 13 spamming R1+circle in Gunslinger style 

I have always loved Dance Macabre, favorite combo of all, but it's too slow. The blow that builds up the meter is the last one and it is as slow as Real Impact, so I prefer to use that one.

20 minutes ago, vgor1988 said:

Cavalliere is very useful against groups of enemies because of the wide range of attacks it has and it's also the only weapon where you can take some damage without using style. There is a use for every single weapon in this game, even though it situational. Take Ebony and Ivory for example, mostly useless but in mission 19 it can be used to keep your style meter up in conjunction with gunslinger while the boss is in DT. Coyote is also very useful with gunslinger in that fight because with that shotgun stinger you can oneshot the doppelganger.

Yes, the only few times I used it was against groups, but then I switched to Cerberus.

Instead of E&I I use Faust regular shot to keep the meter high, I think it is basically the same.

Nice one on Coyote for mission 19, I will probably need it since that and mission 18 were the hardest to S-rank in SoS (during the doppelganger phase I just dash like crazy with Trickster until that phase is over lol).

34 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

I use everything except dr faust but I think I will have to try out the meteor in mission 18. How much red orbs does that move cost? I don't want to get the 500k orbs spent trophy yet.

45k. It is a great attack when the boss is healing or charging the beam.

And since you can farm 6 millions red orbs in 1 hour it is not expensive at all.

59 minutes ago, nudoetcrudo said:

45k. It is a great attack when the boss is healing or charging the beam.

And since you can farm 6 millions red orbs in 1 hour it is not expensive at all.

I want to make Dante the gambler my last one to get a nice screen rather than a dull mission over screen. So a fully charged meteor is 45k, that's good. I can try and just copy a previous save and try again. Tbh I think Luce *2 is the strongest attack you can do in this game when you want to melt something

1 hour ago, KainDMD said:

I want to make Dante the gambler my last one to get a nice screen rather than a dull mission over screen. So a fully charged meteor is 45k, that's good. I can try and just copy a previous save and try again. Tbh I think Luce *2 is the strongest attack you can do in this game when you want to melt something

Luce is good for style but does not do much damage. A complete Luce does 1200 (then Dante stops), while the meteor attack does 2000 (if all 3 meteors hit the target, and even more if DT is active). I tested it on a Behemot in the Void. Against an Empusa the meteor does 3000, Luce 2000. (So yeah, if you do it twice you do more damage, otherwise no).

I also tried Real Impact and it does 300 in DT, 225 without it against a Behemot. On Empusa its damage is 1000 in DT and 900 normal (but I think that the extra damage comes from the blades surrounding Dante in DT). I didn't manage to perform a Distortion Real Impact, not sure if it was removed in DMC 5.

Edited by nudoetcrudo