Stop dodging, start blocking and deflecting.

Best advice anyone can give you in this game is don't dodge unless necessary. It's hard to get the timing at first but don't be afraid to get in enemies' faces. The low level enemies will never break your posture so you can just hold L1 until they finish their attack and hit em for a deathblow, the bosses you try to take a Deathblow from stealth ALWAYS, and then work on their posture instead of dodging. You should only dodge (sidestep) when the enemy is going to make an attack that you can't block (I/E the thrust types with the red symbol) and even that can be deflected with the Mikiri counter skill, though there are some bosses who you can't counter like this. I've read somewhere that you shouldn't care about health but not in my experience, some SOB's are just too hard to get their posture down so you need to lower their health first. Keep in mind that this is for the first 5-10 hours of the game, as i haven't gotten farther than that.

Seriously, keep a cool head and don't dodge everywhere like in bloodborne (game kicked my ass playing this way)

Edited by linkdevivo

3 hours ago, Terarded said:

Everyone seems to be saying this but all deflecting does for me is destroy my own posture and leave me stunned and that's if i even manage to time it right

a deflect will never destroy your own posture, only blocking will do that. Try to press L1 as soon as the blades collide (not after)

14 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Dodging and jumping are just as useful as blocking and deflecting, it all depends on the situation.

Yeah this is true. But this thread is if people are going in thinking it's dodging like  bloodborne. Dodging is not as important as deflecting and blocking in this game, the loading menu tips even say so.

14 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

I find it weird you can stealth kill a lifebar of a mini boss or boss. BUT the  they never lose sight of you so you can't do it again. if they do lose sight they end up at full health again. I get the challenge. just weird we cant stealth 100%

I found that out the annoying way.  Wanted to stealth kill that stupid chained ogre, but when I stealthed him a second time, the same deathblow icon was removed instead of killing him (I was able to loose him eventually in the small area).  But yeah, it's weird that it wont accept it like that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

Yeah this is true. But this thread is if people are going in thinking it's dodging like  bloodborne. Dodging is not as important as deflecting and blocking in this game, the loading menu tips even say so.

Dodging is pretty important in quite a few fights like with Lady Butterfly and the chained ogre. Blocking and deflecting in those fights are essentially useless.

17 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Dodging is pretty important in quite a few fights like with Lady Butterfly and the chained ogre. Blocking and deflecting in those fights are essentially useless.

Blocking and deflecting are essentially useless against Lady Butterfly? Oh my.. I parried the shit out of her, broke her posture really fast, worked totally fine. What are you talking about? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psychescape94 said:

Blocking and deflecting are essentially useless against Lady Butterfly? Oh my.. I parried the shit out of her, broke her posture really fast, worked totally fine. What are you talking about? 

It was a complete waste of time for me and far more risky than just dodging and hacking away at her. Took me about 2 - 3 minutes to finish her like this with only two gourds. I shouldn't have said they're useless as I'm sure there are players like yourself that benefit more from using those techniques, but I believe in general, more players will find success in simply dodging and occasionally deflecting/blocking during this fight especially since it's one of the earlier boss fights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarmatura93 said:

I'm really trying to adapt to this, as I have a tendency to dodge on pure instinct whenever things gets hot around me. That being said, getting the timing down on parrying is quite hard.

tell me about it. Game kicked my ass the first hours because i dodged after every successful hit.