"Saint's Row 4" and "State of Decay" Banned Down Under

Bullstomp

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/26/australia-bans-second-video-game-in-24-hours/

Australia bans second video game in 24 hours

By Claire Porter and Luke Reilly

Published June 26, 2013
news.com.au
  • stateofdecayshot.jpg?ve=1

Video game, State of Decay, is the second to be banned in Australia in 24 hours. (Undead labs/microsoft studios)

A second video game has been banned for sale in Australia by the Australian Classification Board.

State of Decay has joined Saints Row IV as the second game in 24 hours refused classification in Australia.

Executive producer Jeff Strain shared the bad news on gaming forum Undead Labs:

"I have bad news to share," writes Strain. "State of Decay has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board (ACB). We've run afoul of certain prohibitions regarding the depiction of drug use. We're working with Microsoft to come up with options, including changing names of certain medications in the game to comply with ratings requirements. Whatever our path forward, it's going to take a bit."

"I know this is frustrating – believe me, we're frustrated too – but each country has the right (to) set its own rules about content, and it's our responsibility to comply with them. Rest assured we'll do everything we can to find a way to get the game into your hands. Stay tuned."

The Classification Board's report, obtained by news.com.au explained that it banned the game because it contains the option of self-administered drugs throughout, in order to restore players' health or boost their stamina.

"These 'medications' include both legal and illicit substances such as methadone, morphine, amphetamines, stimulants, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, codeine, aspirin, 'trucker pills', painkillers and tussen," the report reads.

"Of these, methadone, morphine and amphetamines are prescribed drugs and the term 'stimulant' is commonly used to refer to a class of drugs of which several are prescribed."

Players obtain the drugs by scavenging for them or by manufacturing them in a lab.

Computer games that "depict, express, or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified, will be Refused Classification," the report explained.

This is the second game to be banned in Australia in as many days. Yesterday it was revealed that slapstick crime thriller, Saints Row IV was banned due to implied sexual violence and drug use.

Gamers were divided over the Classification Board's decision to ban video game Saints Row IV due to its use of sexual violence. It's unlikely they will be as forgiving this time around.

Since State of Decay's launch on June 5 the open-world zombie survival role player game (RPG) has gone on to become the fastest-selling Xbox Live Arcade game ever, notching up 500,000 paid downloads in less than two weeks.

Games containing drug use related to incentives or rewards have historically had problems being rated in Australia. In 2008 Fallout 3 fell foul of the guidelines, prompting game publisher, Bethesda to steer clear of using real-world terms like morphine in its game. A modified Fallout 3 was rated and made available for sale.

In 2007, Blitz: The League was refused classification for steroid use. It remains forbidden from sale in the country.

Read more on the banned video game "State of Decay"external-link.png at News.com.au.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/26/australia-bans-second-video-game-in-24-hours/#ixzz2XMX9jX5l

Sorry to any Aussie gamers, I absolutely loved SRIII and will be first in line for SRIV. No idea how the country can do something like that. Do they ban movies for the same reasons?

• Like 1

Australia is far too strict on censors, I mean why should they stop adults from playing games that are "inappropriate"? Aren't age ratings there to stop kids from playing these games?

Edited by Azaan60

The rating system here is a joke, I see no reason to refuse classification on either game. I can at least import Saint's Row IV (legally, I might add), but in regards to State of Decay, I'll have to wait & see if it gets a re-classification, since it's a digital title (and I can't be bothered creating an out of region account just for one game). These 2 games getting refused classification isn't the only reason I detest the rating system here, most games get rated higher than what they should, one very good example of this is Atelier Totori Plus, it got an R18+ rating here, yet it's PS3 counterpart only got a measly M rating.

I personally won't be surprised if either GTA V or Dead Rising 3 get refused classification here too, it won't bother me either way though, neither game interests me. I should also point out that it becomes illegal to import a refused classification game if it gets refused classification twice, since it gets put on a list of illegal items here, but if it's only refused once, importing it is totally legal, you're stuck with the game though, as you'll be unable to trade it in or sell it (unsure about selling it online to someone outside of Australia though, but I think it's fine)

EDIT: I can only think of 1 game that has been refused classification here in Australia that I think deserved it, and that was the PS1 game Thrill Kill, this was one of the most twisted games I have ever seen.

Edited by Blanc_WhiteHeart
  • Like 1

As an Australian, even I think we have the stupidest classification system in the whole world.

Basically they still ban games even though we have a R18+ classification rating now. The law now is that for every retailer selling R18+ games in Australia, the customer must show ID in order to buy the game. Pretty much, I don't even know why they would ban games when kids wont be able to get them unless their parents are stupid enough to buy a R18+ game for their kid. It is because of this stupid system that I get my games imported and so do other Australians. What's the point of having R18+ if games will be banned into the country. Besides, one game isn't that bad especially with the ID law in Australia, kids have access to the Internet which is home to a lot of crazy crap and yet they don't care about that?

I'm ordering Saints Row 4 from overseas since PS3 is region free and is MUCH MORE CHEAPER than the RRP of $90+ of games here. I know they are trying to make Saints Row 4 more friendlier for the players yet I don't support censorship in my games so the hell with that, I'm getting my games overseas. :P

Worst classification system in the world ever.

• Like 1

I'm an Aussie, and yeah, this has got me righteously pissed. After all the time we spent waiting for the ACB to include an R18+ rating, they go ahead and pull this nonsense. They don't do this for movies or any other sort of media.

Hell, I saw a girl, couldn't be any older than ten or twelve years old, walking through the supermarket with a copy of Fifty Shades of Grey. 

Video games are treated like a bane to society. Like many countries, Australia has problems with drugs on the streets. Because they can't admit to being incompetent morons, clueless on how to tackle the issue, they point the finger at whatever they can find to take the blame.

However, since PS3 is region free (I've never tried this but I'm fairly certain it is) my only concern is if it will get pulled up in customs when I order it on Amazon. 

I thought they changed this or something a while back...guess not.

We did, but we have the sort of jerks in government who think they can do what they like. 

I have a question for any Aussie willing to answer. If a game is banned and you import it, does that put you at legal risk or is the ban simply on the ability for stores in the country being able to sell it?

Well, basically a ban means that the game cannot be sold or traded within Australia, it doesn't say anything about buying the game overseas. You could just say that you bought the game overseas since you don't have time to get it from the store in the scenario of being put at legal risk. Besides, I doubt Australian Customs will waste their time with one copy of a banned game considering that reselling it or trading it within Australia is banned.

Well, basically a ban means that the game cannot be sold or traded within Australia, it doesn't say anything about buying the game overseas. You could just say that you bought the game overseas since you don't have time to get it from the store in the scenario of being put at legal risk. Besides, I doubt Australian Customs will waste their time with one copy of a banned game considering that reselling it or trading it within Australia is banned.

I can't confirm this but from what I've heard, you can be charged $200 000 AUD for importing the game. Many people have been saying this. Not sure if it's true or not but if it is that's ridiculous.

I can't confirm this but from what I've heard, you can be charged $200 000 AUD for importing the game. Many people have been saying this. Not sure if it's true or not but if it is that's ridiculous.

That's only if a game has been refused classification twice, as it is put on a list of prohibited items. I highly doubt Saint's Row IV will get refused classification a second time, since Volition know what caused it to get refused, but if State of Decay gets refused a second time, it will simply become unavailable as it is digital only

EDIT: I don't think that hefty a fine would apply to the general public, I think that's more if a retailer attempts to import it

Edited by Blanc_WhiteHeart

As an Aussie gamer, this isn't a big deal. We've only had a couple of dozen games refused classification, ever. Most of the time the developers make minor changes, like renaming Morphine to Med-X in Fallout 3, or removing the sex scene from GTAIV. They were then passed as MA15+ with no problems.

Until recently, Australia had the most liberal censorship in the world, with the rare RC game tossed in for good measure. All games classified as R18+ overseas were MA15+ in Australia. The main reason R18+ was introduced here in Oz is to take those R18+ games out of the hands of 15 year olds, not to open the floodgates to any game that crosses the censors' path.

Saints Row IV was refused classification because of implied sexual violence and illicit drug use. State of Decay for illicit drug use. Refused classification simply means that the developers have the opportunity to resubmit a slightly edited version of the game for reclassification, which Volition is doing by removing the Alien Anal Probe weapon and Alien Drugs side-mission. Big deal. I don't know yet what will happen with State of Decay, but similar edits will get a pass mark by the censors.

It's important to note that RC games are NOT illegal to own in Oz, they're illegal to sell. That penalty is only applicable to retailers caught with RC games on their shelves.

Aussie consumers can quite readily import these games in their uncensored form from the UK, at less than half our retail price. The only possible penalty for doing so is confiscation of the imported goods by customs. I've imported several RC games into Australia and have never had an issue, so this is nothing but a storm in a teacup.

However, since PS3 is region free (I've never tried this but I'm fairly certain it is) my only concern is if it will get pulled up in customs when I order it on Amazon.

Amazon won't ship video games to Australia, nor will any major US retailer. Order from zavvi.com, game.co.uk, shopto.net or ozgameshop.com. They're all UK-based and the games are compatible with Aussie PS Store DLC.

I've imported hundreds of PS3 games, mostly from Zavvi, Ozgameshop and Game and never had a problem. You'll need to wait 3 or 4 weeks for shipping, but it's well worth the wait considering we pay less than half to import games than buying them locally.

Edited by ant1th3s1s