Picking This Up Today - Should I Start On Survival Mode?

Cloud_2049

You can start it on Survival if you want, but fast travel is disabled and more ambushes, etc. Even if I just got the game, I'd probably start it on Normal, do everything for fast travel, gets boring having to ride everywhere trying to get the Platinum. I say enjoy the game, then play through Survival when you know everything, I'm not sure in the long run it will save much time, but it's up to you. I was able to get to the point and fly through Survival because I knew what I was doing. Either way the game is awesome and you'll enjoy it. 

Edited by Nitemares-----

33 minutes ago, Nitemares----- said:

You can start it on Survival if you want, but fast travel is disabled and more ambushes, etc. Even if I just got the game, I'd probably start it on Normal, do everything for fast travel, gets boring having to ride everywhere trying to get the Platinum. I say enjoy the game, then play through Survival when you know everything, I'm not sure in the long run it will save much time, but it's up to you. I was able to get to the point and fly through Survival because I knew what I was doing. Either way the game is awesome and you'll enjoy it. 

Can you drop the difficulty after beating it though? The gold trophy is just to beat it on Survival, I can do that, then drop it down to East/Normal to get fast travel and the rest of the platinum?

1 minute ago, Cloud_2049 said:

Can you drop the difficulty after beating it though? The gold trophy is just to beat it on Survival, I can do that, then drop it down to East/Normal to get fast travel and the rest of the platinum?

Nope, no difficulty changing, that's why I'd just do Survival for later. 

Even if you can drop the difficulty (I know you can change between easy, normal, and hard mid-game, not sure about survival or if that's different), I feel like you're not going to enjoy the story as much. The game will be significantly harder, to the point of rage quitting. Up to you how you want to experience your games, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

I'm playing on normal difficulty right now and although it's not rage quitting hard, I have had quite a few difficult moments. Every encounter still requires planning, whether it be an enemy camp or a group of freakers. Especially when you start the game, all it takes is a few freakers chasing you at once to kill you like you're nothing.

EDIT: You can only change between Easy and Normal if you chose either one when you started. People who choose Hard / Survival are stuck on that mode.

Edited by ResoluteRock
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ResoluteRock said:

Even if you can drop the difficulty (I know you can change between easy, normal, and hard mid-game, not sure about survival or if that's different), I feel like you're not going to enjoy the story as much. The game will be significantly harder, to the point of rage quitting. Up to you how you want to experience your games, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

I'm playing on normal difficulty right now and although it's not rage quitting hard, I have had quite a few difficult moments. Every encounter still requires planning, whether it be an enemy camp or a group of freakers. Especially when you start the game, all it takes is a few freakers chasing you at once to kill you like you're nothing.

EDIT: You can only change between Easy and Normal if you chose either one when you started. People who choose Hard / Survival are stuck on that mode.

Totally agree with what you said, people trying to save time by starting on Survival, are most likely going to screw themselves.

When you're done with everything, you'll want another playthrough anyways, so do Survival for that. 

Edited by Nitemares-----
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kanzenchaos said:

Can the plat even be obtained on survival? I remember someone saying that a few skills are locked.

Yep everything can be done on survival difficulty, some skills can't be used, but they are directly unlocked.

Edited by Bearded_Jay

On 8/12/2019 at 5:20 PM, kanzenchaos said:

Can the plat even be obtained on survival? I remember someone saying that a few skills are locked.

just completed my second playthrough. i did the first on survival, second on easy. i recommend this way because the second playthrough is more like coasting down hill after survival and no fast travel. also, 3 skills are locked out on survival mode so im gonna presume (not confirm) that plat is impossible on a survival run since you cant get "mr fahrenheit" trophy for unlocking 45 total skills

You actually can get Mr Fahrenheit on survival mode. The perks are not usable, but they are directly considered as unlocked. It actually makes this trophy easier, as you need 3 levels less to unlock everything.

I had the Platinum on survival mode, and only played the adventure once.

• Like 1