Worst DLC in a game ever.

You

My god, all three DLC contents have been terrible. Such a chore to play and none of them have been fun at all.

Honestly, I love Shenmue and have stuck with this game right until the end, even though the game has frustrated me every step of the way.

All of this DLC has been pointless and worse still, an absolute chore to play. I type this now as I spam save having to get 9 exclusive pieces of clothing that I will never use just for the final gold trophy. Who decided this was a fun idea, and to include no new mini games AT ALL...

Even the base game has frustrated and punched me in the bollocks at every stage it possibly can. I am so relieved it is all over. I will never play Shenmue III ever again.

Watching videogameDunkey's movie on Shenmue iii cheered me up no end though. (Warning do not watch that movie unless you have completed the game as it has heavy spoilers)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Shenmue ended after the second one. What did you expect from a guy who didn't make one game in years? Never backed this game since Shenmue is empty word for me. Yakuza 0 is best Sega rpg game since first two Shenmues. Name doesn't make game good, it's the creative people that are behind it. It seems Suzuki is many years after his prime

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The guy who made Shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki, has openly admitted that he doesn’t play video games and that Shenmue 3 wasn’t influenced by modern games in any way.

Unfortunately it’s not surprising now these DLC’s and game turned out at all. 

And the fact that he got a shot at making a third story and chose to NOT wrap up the story, instead leaving it on an unsatisfactory cliffhanger, just shows that he’s stuck in the past. He plans to make Shenmue 4. Shenmue 4 will never happen.

Truly a tragedy.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:59 AM, arcanehornet_ said:

The guy who made Shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki, has openly admitted that he doesn’t play video games and that Shenmue 3 wasn’t influenced by modern games in any way.

Unfortunately it’s not surprising now these DLC’s and game turned out at all. 

And the fact that he got a shot at making a third story and chose to NOT wrap up the story, instead leaving it on an unsatisfactory cliffhanger, just shows that he’s stuck in the past. He plans to make Shenmue 4. Shenmue 4 will never happen.

Truly a tragedy.

I agree. I mean it wasn't even a cliff hanger. The whole game was like a distracting sidequest.

It was indeed a bit of a dick move for Yu Suzuki to go on about Shenmue as a "trilogy" for so many decades, and then when FINALLY getting a once in a lifetime chance to go back to Shenmue, and mostly funded and backed by his fans. What did he do?

He didn't progress the story, not one bit. The game did feel like Shenmue a fair bit, and the graphics were great, but the atmosphere and sense of progression was gone. The combat is awful now, and Shenmue was likely the game that made QTE back into mainstream gaming, and there was only a few in the entire game. If this is what he had planned for Shenmue 3, then I have no hope at all for Shenmue 4.

It was really distressing reading some of those diary entries in the hotel that were backed by fans, some of them were backed by friends of family of loved ones who had passed away already, but Shenmue was their favourite game of all time while in life. All their hopes and dreams and messages once the Kickstarter game had been funded and before Shenmue 3 had started being made. How sad most of them must feel now.

20 years is such a long time and of course many people will have certainly died already over 2 decades of waiting. There's no guarantee that even Yu Suzuki will be alive if and when Shenmue 4 gets made. It genuinely is frustrating to love and get involved in a gaming series for such a long time, to then know that there will be no ending or closure for it.

Even now I think of that running race DLC and I just think to myself "All those programmers and designers were working on this, when the ending and final 10% of the game is so awful. They could have been working on that instead..."

I still feel quite bitter about Shenhua's new face and clothing. Which they changed and made worse for no reason, the original rough design they had at the Shenmue 3 kickstarter reveal was way better. Her role in Shenmue 3 was utterly pointless. Not having a Shenmue 3 at all would have been better.

• Like 3

Personally, I'm glad it got made. Whilst not as good as the first two, it was nice playing a Shenmue game again despite it's flaws. I think the dated feel works fine for fans of the original Shenmue games but for new players or Yakuza fans it certainly was going to be a big miss. Combat is much worse however, Suzuki with his Virtua Fighter success has no real excuse here despite not making a game for many years. Story wise though.....certainly could have been left at a better point and progressed more than it did. 

The trophies however.......I think the devs may have smoked more herbs than in Bailu Village and Niaowu combined when coming up with that fishing trophy. I'm surprised it's got a moderately high completion rate, it may be one of the most boring trophies I've completed. 

45 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Personally, I'm glad it got made. Whilst not as good as the first two, it was nice playing a Shenmue game again despite it's flaws. I think the dated feel works fine for fans of the original Shenmue games but for new players or Yakuza fans it certainly was going to be a big miss. Combat is much worse however, Suzuki with his Virtua Fighter success has no real excuse here despite not making a game for many years. Story wise though.....certainly could have been left at a better point and progressed more than it did. 

The trophies however.......I think the devs may have smoked more herbs than in Bailu Village and Niaowu combined when coming up with that fishing trophy. I'm surprised it's got a moderately high completion rate, it may be one of the most boring trophies I've completed. 

Nah Suzuki had no choice in that regard, sure he managed to get the rights to Shenmue, but Shenmue I and II has a ton of Sega stuff in it. Like all the Hang On, Outrun (Which in the end Yakuza would be allowed to use) and all the Gacha featuring Sonic and Virtua fighter characters. Of course all the fighting engine using shared movesets from fighters like Akira and Sarah. He can't use any of that.

The fighting engine is awful, hence why you can heal yourself in battle. I wish they had not gone to the effort of making sub games or gacha items. Trying to get Red Car, Blue Car and other such nonsense, and trying to pick up herbs without a mini map, and then padding out the game by blocking your progress with giant purchases so you have to grind somewhere. I'd have preferred a mostly story driven conclusion, the mini game and exploring is great in a setting that is already set out. But like Bailu is so poor, and old skool farm related, but then you have a games arcade in it despite the fact it looks suspicious to if they even have electricity there at all.

This is also the added issue, when you collect so much cool stuff on Shenmue I and II, but then Shenmue III all the moves, all the gacha, and for the most part, all of your items are gone forever. For a game all about Kung Fu and Zen and learning experiences it honestly sucks to have 2 games of progress taken away from you. Which additionally is sad because there are lots of allies like Tom at the burger stand and many Kung Fu guys like the one in the park in Shenmue II who teach you moves throughout the story in fantastic cut scenes. All of those moves are taken away from you. You train in the park for hours on Shenmue II, do then be forced to do horse stance / walk in a circle on this game for 30-60 minutes, just to get some extra stamina because otherwise I will die too quickly in battle.

Awful.

Edited by enaysoft

13 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Nah Suzuki had no choice in that regard, sure he managed to get the rights to Shenmue, but Shenmue I and II has a ton of Sega stuff in it. Like all the Hang On, Outrun (Which in the end Yakuza would be allowed to use) and all the Gacha featuring Sonic and Virtua fighter characters. Of course all the fighting engine using shared movesets from fighters like Akira and Sarah. He can't use any of that.

The fighting engine is awful, hence why you can heal yourself in battle. I wish they had not gone to the effort of making sub games or gacha items. Trying to get Red Car, Blue Car and other such nonsense, and trying to pick up herbs without a mini map, and then padding out the game by blocking your progress with giant purchases so you have to grind somewhere. I'd have preferred a mostly story driven conclusion, the mini game and exploring is great in a setting that is already set out. But like Bailu is so poor, and old skool farm related, but then you have a games arcade in it despite the fact it looks suspicious to if they even have electricity there at all.

This is also the added issue, when you collect so much cool stuff on Shenmue I and II, but then Shenmue III all the moves, all the gacha, and for the most part, all of your items are gone forever. For a game all about Kung Fu and Zen and learning experiences it honestly sucks to have 2 games of progress taken away from you. Which additionally is sad because there are lots of allies like Tom at the burger stand and many Kung Fu guys like the one in the park in Shenmue II who teach you moves throughout the story in fantastic cut scenes. All of those moves are taken away from you. You train in the park for hours on Shenmue II, do then be forced to do horse stance / walk in a circle on this game for 30-60 minutes, just to get some extra stamina because otherwise I will die too quickly in battle.

Awful.

I think more than anything, all the gameplay faults, grind etc it was the sheer ballsy move from Suzuki to leave the story at the point he left it, hoping for a sequel. He claims the story is half way or so, surely he could have made some adjustments to progress the story faster as getting another game after 3 is a stretch anytime soon. It felt very deflating to fans of the series who really wanted a conclusion, or at the very least a strong amount of progression.

Another factor is how unmemorable all the new characters introduced were. I can't even remember the names of any introduced off the top of my head but still fondly remember the likes of Nozomi, Tom, Master Chen, Guizhang, Joy from the previous games. At least Ren was in. 

Still, I did enjoy it but I'd be hard pressed not too as I love the Shenmue world, even if a little disappointed. Shenmue 1/2 are easily in my top 10 games of all time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...