Cheats on games

Lonemankane

I like to ask if anyone thinks using stuff like a turbo controller or game genie is bad to use to earn trophies or to just have fun with the game. Only ask as I got a turbo controller for Tekken 6 as I hate the fight on the mad train level and the wooden character level mostly because you don't get a chance to do the combos fast enough to beat them. also on the topic if using cheats is bad is using say a cheat like the one in killzone bad to someone like the ones that have all enemies to die in one hit and so on same with cheats on say borderlands 3, where your dupping weapons and so on.

Edited by KANERKB

2 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Turbo controllers and duping items in-game are both fair in trophy hunting. Gotta draw the line at Game Genie though (if used for trophies).

but how does that work? I mean if you flip say in a game to make yourself unkillable and just blast through a game such as say rage 1 what is the harm in that? ain't it like the cheats you see in killzone 1? where you become unkillable or the debug mode in jak and daxter series? or something more to now a way to basically dup anything in a game such as coming off the game without saving such as going to the dash menu and so on

Edited by KANERKB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KANERKB said:

but how does that work? I mean if you flip say in a game to make yourself unkillable and just blast through a game such as say rage 1 what is the harm in that? ain't it like the cheats you see in killzone 1? where you become unkillable

There's gonna be people that feel that it's ok. I can't remember the last time I used a 3rd party cheat (GameShark maybe?) but I don't feel like it's a "fair" advantage when compared to something like a turbo controller or using an in-game exploit.

Generally anything in-game is fair play.Anything that involves software other than the game(save files, custom firmware, etc.) is considered cheating.Basically if you fulfil the requirement without external interference it is ok which means you can use in-game glitches or a turbo controller.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pot1414 said:

Generally anything in-game is fair play.Anything that involves software other than the game(save files, custom firmware, etc.) is considered cheating.Basically if you fulfil the requirement without external interference it is ok which means you can use in-game glitches or a turbo controller.

for me I like any kind cheat no matter what it is, I mean I have done crazy things before like in ps2 time if you take the disc out while in a game it might either let you do something or hear something that is not normally there, like in jak 2 if you take the disc out you can be at the first part of the cutscene and it is the completely the first part of jak 1 it is crazy but yeah but I see what many people see in game genie being bad for trophies but I just wonder what people think of it as I could see myself using some kind of cheat system to give myself unlimited ammo rockets and fire it faster then you can see in something like re1 or 2 or even 3 (the older ones not the remake ones) as I seen rom hacks of the old games have in game cheats/ game genie kinds and so on.

49 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

for me I like any kind cheat no matter what it is, I mean I have done crazy things before like in ps2 time if you take the disc out while in a game it might either let you do something or hear something that is not normally there, like in jak 2 if you take the disc out you can be at the first part of the cutscene and it is the completely the first part of jak 1 it is crazy but yeah but I see what many people see in game genie being bad for trophies but I just wonder what people think of it as I could see myself using some kind of cheat system to give myself unlimited ammo rockets and fire it faster then you can see in something like re1 or 2 or even 3 (the older ones not the remake ones) as I seen rom hacks of the old games have in game cheats/ game genie kinds and so on.

I was just telling you what in general is considered cheating in the trophy community.If you want to use cheats like the game genie because that's how you have fun, you should totally do it but know that you won't be able to participate in the trophy leaderboards if you use it to unlock trophies.You can always have your fun with an alt account if you care about the leaderboards.

Personally I dont like cheats, even the ones provided by the game. For example: recently I played Killer is Dead, and you have to clear the game on hard and very hard. There is an ingame costume that boost your status, but I cleared both without it, because this is the way I like. The only exception that I make are bugs or glitches that allow me to grind something pointless faster. Another example: if a game ask you to press the X button 1000 times, and there is a way to make one time count as 50, I would use. I also dislike boosting, and is mainly the reason that I avoid games with multiplayer / online trophies. 

Game Genie, however, I would never use. I dont like the feeling of cheating, I wouldnt feel any sense of pride or accomplishment in doing something this way. But gaming is all about having fun, so if you like to play using bugs, glitches, Game Genie or whatever, good for you. The only instance where cheating bother me is in online gaming, there it is inexcusable and should be punished always. 

27 minutes ago, pot1414 said:

I was just telling you what in general is considered cheating in the trophy community.If you want to use cheats like the game genie because that's how you have fun, you should totally do it but know that you won't be able to participate in the trophy leaderboards if you use it to unlock trophies.You can always have your fun with an alt account if you care about the leaderboards.

ah understandable, I mean I don't know how game genie works I thought the idea is a menu pops up and it is like a cheat menu that gives you things to tick off to add in like make you unkillable and so on if there is a way to make that happen. I mean am always down to doing dum stuff with cheats like if there is one that changes the way you look to something else like say silent hill you play as the cop lady then harry

You are asking about personal opinions, right? Not about what's allowed by PSNP (which already violates Sony's ToS)..? Here is my personal take on this (I really feel like I need to put this in bold...).

Also.. I'm not judging anyone resorting to some of the methods that are cheating in my book, I'm only stating my opinion and the guidelines I follow personally ?

Anything that can be done in-game without the use of additional software or third-party hardware is fine. Everything else is cheating. That simple. 

• Not cheating: Using in-game cheats or exploits, either because the developer decided to leave them in (Final Fantasy VII / IX) or due faulty programming (Hollow Knight) is fine. It's part of the game you bought and up to the developers to decide to fix the exploits if they feel they need to. Duping (Demon's Souls), item-trading (Dark Souls),... all fine for the same reason. 

• Cheating: Turbo-Controllers (They are third-party hardware, thus not official and not fair-play), AutoHokey-scripts (which are pretty much the equivalent of a programmable controller and an advanced version of turbo-controllers) and Chronusmax-Macros, as they involve either external soft- or hardware, Save Wizard, Game Genie,... Basically anything that involves using third-party soft- or hardware. 

But not everything I see as "cheating" is equally serious. Using a script or turbo controller to farm AFK is not the same as making yourself invincible in a game, and it does not necessarily give you an advantage other than saving you time. I have to admit I'm also being a bit of a hypocrite here, as I'm for instance using a XIM-adapter to be able to play with the keyboard instead of DS4 in a certain game. But playing with the keyboard doesn't give me any shortcuts for said game. Which is why imo it is necessary to define some guidelines within a community, as we have here on PSNP. 

19 hours ago, KANERKB said:

I mean if you flip say in a game to make yourself unkillable and just blast through a game such as say rage 1 what is the harm in that? ain't it like the cheats you see in killzone 1? where you become unkillable or the debug mode in jak and daxter series?

Debug-menus within a game are left there by the developers. If they just forgot to remove them, they can always patch a game.. or they can decide to just leave it in the game. Everybody has access to those menus when they buy the game, and they are part of the official software that you paid for. 

If you use external programs to cheat in a game, for example Game Genie or whatever, you are giving yourself an advantage that other players that bought the same game do not have. 

And you cannot compare using cheats on the PS2 or Game Boy or whatever with using cheats to earn trophies. Back then you were not part of a community, you were playing entirely for yourself. When you earn a trophy, it is reflected in the statistics of millions of players, not only yours (as it affects the number of achievers of that trophy and consequently its rarity). And while you might not care about your own statistics or whichever methods you used to earn a trophy, by synchronizing your profile you are automatically part of the PSN community, and there need to be some established fair-play guidelines or otherwise there is no point in having this kind of system in place.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Debug-menus within a game are left there by the developers. If they just forgot to remove them, they can always patch a game.. or they can decide to just leave it in the game. Everybody has access to those menus when they buy the game, and they are part of the official software that you paid for. 

If you use external programs to cheat in a game, for example Game Genie or whatever, you are giving yourself an advantage that other players that bought the same game do not have. 

And you cannot compare using cheats on the PS2 or Game Boy or whatever with using cheats to earn trophies. Back then you were not part of a community, you were playing entirely for yourself. When you earn a trophy, it is reflected in the statistics of millions of players, not only yours (as it affects the number of achievers of that trophy and consequently its rarity). And while you might not care about your own statistics or whichever methods you used to earn a trophy, by synchronizing your profile you are automatically part of the PSN community, and there need to be some established fair-play guidelines or otherwise there is no point in having this kind of system in place.

That is true but if everyone really cared about stuff on them lines, boosting with the server set up thing that people are planning to use for making dead servers back up would be counted as cheating as you need the right set up and things to do things like that, or what about normal boosting with other players ain't that cheating? I mean I get where people come from when others uses cheats and so on but am the kind of guy who is willing to use in game cheats and nearly anything in game to enjoy it more, such as glitches and or cheats and debug menus and while a turbo controller might be bad in say your view point.

To me it is fine as it is not like am using it online, as the one I got records my actions and with one button press does all the inputs I already done but I keep pressing the button in say tekken to spam the devils in the train level or kill mokojin (I think that is how you spell the wooden character in tekken the one that fights the same style as all others but it is random)

But seeing from a leaderboard way I could see the problems and so on but if people kept crying over people cheating to earn stuff and so on they wouldn't ever stop crying. I mean all of red dead 1 online seems to be full of hackers now and while it sucks I don't really care, I mean people gave me hacked guns in borderlands before and to tell the truth it made the game more fun sure it kills most of it but, it is fun to mess about. I mean I see the impact of game genie and so on as I have had something like that happen to me in cod world at war where someone had unlimited ammo but yeah. am more the kind who thinks if it is used on single player games it is fine. but yeah. But to be fair I got no clue how to mess with game genie or save data cheats and so on am crap at stuff like that as if I was I would of found a way to fix my save problem I got with ninja gaiden 2 and yeah.

But I feel cheating in some ways can be good, I mean I could be counted as cheating on dead space 3 due to getting someone to basically finish hardcore mode for me as the glitch messed me up so bad that co op helped me get the plat but at the end boss my co op friend had to beat the final boss for me due to the bs platform glitch.

I have proof of this glitch as well, there was no way I could think of to fix it and this here is the proof of it, also this is not my video this is someone else but yeah this glitch kept happening and in the end I did co op but I was stuck in limbo while my friend killed the final boss.

Edited by KANERKB

I dont use in game cheats or glitches unless theres a trophy that's really annoying me, I'm against using debug modes because that's not playing the game but if other people do it , who cares?

Turbo controllers are fine in my opinion, anyone can buy them and the trophies they help with are the grindy kind so it's not like its skill based just patience based. Only reason I dont boost often is because I'm bad at social stuff no other reason.

Lastly if I'm stuck on something in game my first stop is google so me saying that guides are cheating would be hypocritical, however I dont use them for story heavy games like jrpgs on the first playthrough (second one I will use a guide)

One exception is puzzle games because working them out yourself is the whole point.

Hacking devices like gameshark are just cheating, plain and simple. However if it's for a platform or game that doesn't have trophies and is single player then who cares. I've always wanted one for GBA games and I admit it is  cheating but trophies or online arent concerned so it doesn't matter. Just keep them out of games with trophies and it's all good, cheating in single player games isnt inherently bad.

Edited by charxsetsuna

Turbo controller is fine for fair game. It provides advantage of course but you will still need to make an efford to finish game. I mean it is not kind of cheating machine.

Glitches and boosting methods are indispensable component of many games that are also okay.

Game genie is totally cheating and unfair for me, I just checked what it is and it shouldn't be allowed by Sony I think.

I have no idea whether it is allowed for gathering trophies or not.

Winning things makes sense when you're really fighting for it, not when you're cheating.

Edited by seyhano

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 2:19 PM, charxsetsuna said:

I think turbo controls could be in any kind of pit but that is me, I mean am the kind of guy who would use anything to but yeah when it comes to stuff like game genie and so on it is to me hard to say if it is as yeah, I see it from a online kind of way but if that is the case a turbo controller does the same but yeah, I mean I wanted a turbo controller for tekken but it does not make it easy still I feel I need co op on it but yeah

23 hours ago, seyhano said:

as I said to charxsetsuna I agree it can be bad but yeah, I hope everyone here gets to say what they think is cheating as all this talk before with a friend about cheating they said that using a turbo controller and boosting is cheating but to me I feel they are both fine, game genie to me is up in the air and can be used for good stuff as for one if I knew how to use it I would make it where I have unlimited health in a game such as oblivion and genji just to mess about or going out of the map to see some stuff that is not normally able to be seen like the chests under the map or unused items and so on. but as I said before I see why people think it is cheating.