Alternative Strategies For Hard? Share your knowledge

S-A-U-S-I

I'm opening this thread because I see a lot of people struggling with some fights, and when they share their strategies, it is evident they are just copying someone else because it worked for them. It is understandable, the game is pretty new, and while everyone rushed to write a guide because of its popularity, sometimes the strategies described haven't been optimized yet.

So I'm asking you: What lesser known or less publicized strategies did you use to beat or shave off time for the platinum?

I'll start with two tips for supposedly hard bosses that I ended up beating easily using such alternative strategies:

- Hell House: Use Bioga, and mostly ignore its elemental weaknesses, you will end up saving mp that way, and have more time to focus on killing the damn tonberrys it spawns

- Pride and Joy trophy: Ignore any advice about linking Ice with elemental on your armor. The real winning strategy is linking fire and elemental, since it lets you mostly ignore Ifrit on the bahamut battle, and beat Joy and Pride even if you are really low on MP (you can basically cure yourself jumping into some of its attacks)

• Like 4

Just saying: Aerith's Lustrous shield ability blocks a huge amount of the projectile attacks the game has to offer and during Ghoul boss fight it not only blocks telekinesis attacks but also protects from the scream attack. Same for Arsenal boss, it's just insanely good to plant somewhere out in the open.

• Like 1

When you are prepared hop directly in chater 17 in hard mode. Beat the first fight and get to the VR Arena to beat the Pride and Joy Prototype. Now give it to Cloud and if she is available, Tifa. You can't die if everything is dead. Took me about 8 hours of ingame time to get through hard mode.

Abuse Counterstance during the boss fights with Reno, Rude, and Rufus. Counterstance will also work when Bahamut or Leviathan use their dive attack on you.
You can cast Stop on Rufus. Using Triple Slash is a quick way to seperate Rufus from Darkstar.

You can parry the Tonberry's Chef's Knife attack.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Herbalistiikka said:

Just saying: Aerith's Lustrous shield ability blocks a huge amount of the projectile attacks the game has to offer and during Ghoul boss fight it not only blocks telekinesis attacks but also protects from the scream attack. Same for Arsenal boss, it's just insanely good to plant somewhere out in the open.

On the same note, Aerith's Fleeting Familiar is a really good ability for long fights, it ends up adding a lot of damage overtime without you needing to do anything

• Like 1

22 hours ago, S-A-U-S-I said:

- Hell House: Use Bioga, and mostly ignore its elemental weaknesses, you will end up saving mp that way, and have more time to focus on killing the damn tonberrys it spawns

Apologies for this lazy question, I could check myself of course. But does poison effect last forever? I swear it lasts forever when you get it yourself.

I know there is a monster inside, but still I laugh at the idea though of a house suffering from poison damage.

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Apologies for this lazy question, I could check myself of course. But does poison effect last forever? I swear it lasts forever when you get it yourself.

I know there is a monster inside, but still I laugh at the idea though of a house suffering from poison damage.

It doesn't, but it lasts a long time if you use Bioga: I used it and I only had to reapply it once towards the end of the battle.

• Like 1

Reno-involved fights can be made pretty easy by linking at least a level 2 elemental to lightning, and if you're struggling to break the pyramid in the sector 7 plate fight, my barret used a double ATB point blank and took it out in 1 hit.

I had an easier time on hard with the ghost fight. I was preserving most of my MP during the entire chapter since I was using pray and chakra, and when it came time to throw down with the ghost boss I had each party member use fira on the boss with Aerith throwing out the most. She was always at a good distance hitting with basic attacks so her ATB was always full. Was able to stagger the boss pretty fast since fire puts the boss into pressure and both Tifa and Cloud we were with their focus attacks. Still had enough MP to fight Eligor and that fight dragged on because I didn't have a dispel/breach to counteract reflect.

I skipped out on using it myself and I've yet to see anyone actually mention it but does Subversion materia's Breach work on boss reflects as well (you can probably breach the reflect on your party during Eligor at least)? That would make several encounters more bearable.

That said, the limited amount of materia really makes it hard to utilise them.

18 minutes ago, Herbalistiikka said:

I skipped out on using it myself and I've yet to see anyone actually mention it but does Subversion materia's Breach work on boss reflects as well (you can probably breach the reflect on your party during Eligor at least)? That would make several encounters more bearable.

That said, the limited amount of materia really makes it hard to utilise them.

No, as far as I know, you can only cast Breach on an enemy and not your own party.

I am stuck on Bahamoth. I even kill Ifrit, but then cannot finish Bahamoth off in time and it seems like it takes a bit of luck, he always killed me while trying to use Manawall or raise. 

How do I equip reprieve?

Edited by Rakinho993

4 hours ago, Rakinho993 said:

I am stuck on Bahamoth. I even kill Ifrit, but then cannot finish Bahamoth off in time and it seems like it takes a bit of luck, he always killed me while trying to use Manawall or raise. 

How do I equip reprieve?

You need to use SP to unlock skills for certain weapons. Twin Stinger for Cloud and Reinforced Staff for Aerith are two that have it. It will automatically activate, but only once per battle

34 minutes ago, Ayoama said:

You need to use SP to unlock skills for certain weapons. Twin Stinger for Cloud and Reinforced Staff for Aerith are two that have it. It will automatically activate, but only once per battle

I had SP on automatic allocation. First time I went and made by myself for everyone I defetead Bahamut immediately.

May this be a lesson to everyone - do not let the game automatically alocate your SP. I had so much wrong things which didnt aid to my playing style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rakinho993 said:

I had SP on automatic allocation. First time I went and made by myself for everyone I defetead Bahamut immediately.

May this be a lesson to everyone - do not let the game automatically alocate your SP. I had so much wrong things which didnt aid to my playing style.

For the most part I had SP allocation set to auto as well, but once I unlocked the level 6 weapon skills, I switched back to manual 

• Like 1

I just winged it. Went in with a generic setup, and adjusted materia as necessary until I beat the fights. More fun than looking up strategies. I haven't read any so I dunno if these are "less publicised" but some thing I learned were:

-Prayer is an incredibly useful ability, have one character prioritise building up ATB to pray (cure is ok I guess but why waste the mana?)

-Enemy AI is highly exploitable - They almost always focus on whoever you're controlling. This is great for fights like Rude who you can kite around

-Burn Hell house when the mechs appear

-Punisher makes quick work of his tonberries

-Make sure you have full ATB bars BEFORE Bahamut's Megaflare

-Tifa's True Strike spam during staggers obviously

-Elemental materia is obviously really important and trivialises a lot of otherwise tough fights

-Sephiroth hard was a really annoying fight due to the cutscenes, I recommend equipping for Sephiroth before the arbiter of fate fight

-Chakra is mostly garbage except for 1v1 fights since it's less likely to be interrupted than cure (ie Rufus)

-Best place I found to farm AP was the 2-man VR fight on Chapter 17. Called "high flyers" I think.  Literally takes 2 minutes

Edited by SwicySauce