I hate this game so much now!

On 4/12/2021 at 8:35 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

The whole message of that game is about slowing down, appreciating the tranquility of a peaceful life while you can, and not missing the little things...

... That message might be rather lost if you were legging it around the place like Mirror's Edge 1f602.png

I understand, I got that sense of relaxation, but isn't it a mysterioussetting we're in?  A little' faster wouldve been appropriate if you really geek out and figure out how slow the walking would be in real life in similar variables ...  It in my opinion hits on the tranq, but also is simply just to slow. I think it ruins aspects of immersion.  Like i'm wading through the sea of tranquility.  After awhile I'm looking for my Nike', bc I'm curious about the next area.  I would never walk this laid back.

Just now, SilkyJay86 said:

I understand, I got that sense of relaxation, but isn't it a mysterioussetting we're in?  A little' faster wouldve been appropriate if you really geek out and figure out how slow the walking would be in real life in similar variables ...  It in my opinion hits on the tranq, but also is simply just to slow. I think it ruins aspects of immersion.  Like i'm wading through the sea of tranquility.  After awhile I'm looking for my Nike', bc I'm curious about the next area.  I would never walk this laid back.

Yeah, that's true - for someone who has just realised everyone else has disappeared mysteriously, they sure are being nonchalant about figuring out why ?

I must admit, it's been a while since I played this - but I do remember thinking two things -

first, it was "Jesus, this is slow moving..."

...and then later it was "Wait, I think this is actually realistic moving - it's just every other game that moves like the Flash!"

I think they went for a 'realistic' pace of walking, but when every other game in the world is like the protagonist is on jet-powered rollerblades, 'realistic' does feel like moving through molasses?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh I disagree I actually ended up enjoying the game. Missed it on ps plus so bought the game a few years ago but quit because I didn’t have the time for it so just recently went back to the game to get the platinum. Used a guide for the collectibles so took around 6 hours to get the remaining trophies. The walking speed in this game I feel was intentional because you have to explore the place and piece together the story not speed run to the end. But it did get frustrating for me when I missed one map all the way back in the town area at the start so had to go there and back to the end of the game. 

I was put off on getting the platinum because I originally thought that the movement speed would be unbearable holding R2 to walk slightly faster worked sometimes but I’d say it was kinda fun and I really loved the atmosphere and lighting. I thought the story was good not as bad as everyone says it is if you took the time to just casually play through the story, listen to the dialogue then you’d be able to piece it all together then understand the story which was what the devs intended for the players to do.

Great trophy list though with the 8 golds and really happy I got the platinum because I love walking simulators but the movement speed could’ve been sped up just a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really love the whole 1970s/80s British rural setting in this game. The realistic CryEngine graphics and lighting, along with the character dialogue in their different accents, were all very impressive and immersive. Loved the beautiful Gregorian style soundtrack as well, certainly gave me many chills and goosebumps ! The game has some rough edges of course, but for those who prefer to indulge in time capsules of sorts, and prefer to take things at a slower pace... you will most probably like, if not love this game. Cheers

• Like 4

Been sitting on this game for months and never really got to it.

After reading this thread i just had to look it up and it seems really nice!

The slow walking makes the game a bit more realistic (i can't jog for very long either so that's on me i guess XD)

I will try it later so i can't say anything about the story yet but just at a first look i might enjoy it.more than others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 7:00 PM, Aero7V7 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really love the whole 1970s/80s British rural setting in this game. The realistic CryEngine graphics and lighting, along with the character dialogue in their different accents, were all very impressive and immersive. Loved the beautiful Gregorian style soundtrack as well, certainly gave me many chills and goosebumps ! The game has some rough edges of course, but for those who prefer to indulge in time capsules of sorts, and prefer to take things at a slower pace... you will most probably like, if not love this game. Cheers

I couldn't agree more! Yeah, game is really slow-paced but you are not forced to do everything in one sitting, I am doing ~2/3 hours runs and it relaxes me like best medications :) And yeah, soundtrack is mesmerizing, I love it so much that I had to purchase physical copy of it :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Looks like some of us here have not heard of Draugen?  Similar to this but it feels smaller in terms of the scope of areas to explore.  It is as equally as beautiful but instead of the English countryside, it is set in Norway... a bit of Scandinavian folklore if we do find that sort of thing interesting.

It starts at a slow paced but it does feature a :r2: sprint button with no stamina bar, so run all to our hearts desire.  Not Usain Bolt running, maybe just grandpa running speed.

It also does NOT have a platinum so plat-exclusive hunters do be aware of this.  It also had got one highly missable 'chatterbox' trophy, we need a walkthrough for this or else we will surely miss it.  Trailer beneath the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

As for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.  I thought it was alright.  This was my entry title into the world of walking simulators... loved them and never looked back since.  Though it is true that this game is kind of depressing also having that FFXV ending vibe - emptiness, loss, loneliness... when we realise there is no one else around. 

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 11:35 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The whole message of that game is about slowing down, appreciating the tranquility of a peaceful life while you can, and not missing the little things...

... That message might be rather lost if you were legging it around the place like Mirror's Edge ?

Exactly right. The game looks so good I thought it was hard not to feel peaceful. After playing through it a few times, I then spent months trying to set up a perfect speedrun, so even while running around 'like Mirror's Edge', it was still slow paced enough to be super relaxing and genuinely made me happier running it. Yes, I skipped a whole bunch of things when running, but the atmosphere made even a speedrun peaceful. I kept looking at houses and views of the map while saying to myself 'stop looking, you're straying off the optimal path'. This was after a dozen playthroughs too which is probably the most I've ever put into practising a speedrun other than Little Nightmares 2.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:52 AM, Eispan said:

This was my entry title into the world of walking simulators... loved them and never looked back since.

Same for me. Do you have any recommendations? I own Draugen, Soma and Gone Home. I've also done Ethan Carter, Edith Finch, Dear Esther, Firewatch, but still need more! I haven't disliked a single one of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Riiszk said:

Do you have any recommendations?

Wow looks like you are pretty much covered. You could try these two:

S9bb3d6.png  This is like SOMA but in space.

S6e666c.png  This is an FMV-walking simulator hybrid.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Eispan said:

Wow looks like you are pretty much covered. You could try these two:

S9bb3d6.png  This is like SOMA but in space.

S6e666c.png  This is an FMV-walking simulator hybrid.

Haha I have those 2 as well. I'm even fastest for transference. I was hoping some had gone under the radar, but I guess not. Thanks though!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Riiszk said:

Same for me. Do you have any recommendations? I own Draugen, Soma and Gone Home. I've also done Ethan Carter, Edith Finch, Dear Esther, Firewatch, but still need more! I haven't disliked a single one of them.

In addition to what @Eispan mentioned:

One that fits in that list but you didn't mention is The Suicide of Rachel Foster - it reminded me of Firewatch in a lot of ways.

There's also Fort Solis which is a recent one - I've bough but not played it yet, so can't speak to it's merits first hand, but I've heard good things!

Aside from those, I don't know too many other "pure" Walking Sims - but a few games that are marginally puzzle based, but still likely to fit, as they are very narrative focussed and relatively light in terms of mechanical gameplay, so at least "spliced" with Walking Sim, would include:

Tacoma

Kona

The Stanley Parable

Shape of the World

The Town of Light

Close to the Sun

Ether One

The Unfinished Swan

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The Suicide of Rachel Foster

Fort Solis

Tacoma

Kona

The Stanley Parable

Shape of the World

The Town of Light

Close to the Sun

Ether One

The Unfinished Swan

I completely forgot about Rachel Foster. I'll likely play that soon now. Fort Solis seems up my alley as well as a few of the others.

I've done Unifinished Swan (great game) and Ether One (surprisingly really bored me), they'll all likely be on my list eventually. Thanks.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this!  There are a few of which I was not even aware of.  Added them on my wish list.  Cheers!

✔️ The Suicide of Rachel Foster

☑️ Tacoma

Kona - it actually has a sequel Kona II: Brume

✔️ The Stanley Parable

✔️ Shape of the World

☑️ The Town of Light

✔️  Close to the Sun

Ether One

The Unfinished Swan

✔️  Fort Solis

Played and completed it.   ☑️ Have it but have not played it.     ✔️ Definitely going to get this.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 2