I hate this game so much now!

Hahaha. Damn. So your offended by a great game like Rapture @Estivee? Then why buy the game in the first place?

I don't have a problem playing this game yet. Hence, I think it shows a very interesting depicting story and sometimes it can bring sad part scenes nonetheless. Platinum is easy yes, timing itself has patience too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SaltyCat said:

How can anyone tell if they like something if they don't buy it?

Maybe I'm one of the lucky few, but I don't have to experience something firsthand to know that I wont like it.

• Like 4

Your arguments make no sense and are invalid up until the point “if you have anxiety or depression~” Your anxiety or depression have to be very severe to be that triggered by a game. Which I completely get BUT that doesn’t make the game bad. You could’ve just said “Warning - this game could trigger your brain if you have anxiety or depression as the game feels very lonely.” but what you wrote here is different.

If you follow the story, there is a reason why it feels so lonely, you’re literally replaying/triggering memories and thats how you get to know more, the ending is pretty crazy too. Its a quite emotional story, almost feels like a dramatic movie about love and science.

Either way, I don’t know you, but things will get better for you and I hope you get through whatever you’re struggling with.

45 minutes ago, xEl_Cidx said:

It wouldn't be that bad if you could run - walking does take way longer to move about.

You can jog in the game. :P

• Like 1

It was the worst game I've ever played. The plot was supposed to be the strong part of the game but I can't even remember it

28 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I really enjoyed it, yea you move slow but you can move faster with R2. I suffer from Anxiety and Depression and this really helped with those, it was really relaxing and enjoyable for me. 

This game gave me crippling depression

• Like 3

15 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

Hahaha. Damn. So your offended by a great game like Rapture @Estivee? Then why buy the game in the first place?

I didn't buy the game. I've had it in my library a long time since it was free on PS+ a couple of years ago.

14 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

Your arguments make no sense and are invalid up until the point “if you have anxiety or depression~” Your anxiety or depression have to be very severe to be that triggered by a game. Which I completely get BUT that doesn’t make the game bad. You could’ve just said “Warning - this game could trigger your brain if you have anxiety or depression as the game feels very lonely.” but what you wrote here is different.

I see your point! I was just very frustrated with the game right after finishing it. I don't suffer from depression but I have anxiety and abandonment issues so this game really triggered it badly unfortunately. All the trailers and YouTube people talking about it almost described it as a relaxing experience, but for me that was not the case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Estivee said:

I didn't buy the game. I've had it in my library a long time since it was free on PS+ a couple of years ago.

I see your point! I was just very frustrated with the game right after finishing it. I don't suffer from depression but I have anxiety and abandonment issues so this game really triggered it badly unfortunately. All the trailers and YouTube people talking about it almost described it as a relaxing experience, but for me that was not the case.

As your consolation, you're going to be hearing random numbers popping into your head for the next few weeks. :P

That's my only recollection of the game - walking around painfully slow with a continual audio loop of "one...one...three...five...one...etc., etc. etc.). :shakefist:

• Like 2

I feel your pain. Interesting concept for a walking simulator, but it could've been dubbed a crawling simulator.

The literal pacing is what really killed my interest in this game, and the story was forgettable, overall. Played it for free with Plus, thank God. Can not imagine dropping even a dollar on this game. When I got the platinum trophy, I counted my blessings and deleted it. Never playing it again.

Coincidentally, same goes for Gone Home. I found that to be a boring game too: interesting idea, but it's not worth $/€20, far from it even. Yakuza 0 is $/€19.99 on the store, and that game gives you A LOT MORE bang for your buck than the disappointing snoozefest which Gone Home is. Even if the message it spreads is endearing, I don't care: it's still a game and a game should have more content than this ... it's overhyped beyond rationality.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I am absolutely going to chime in even though it’s an old topic. I absolutely agree with op. Playing this game during quarantine, when the real streets were empty and you couldn’t see your friends or family (it was the case in Europe), was an effin mistake. But that’s not the game’s fault, obviously. And it’s not the point op is making. If anything it shows how brilliant it is. I remember the moment in the game where you learn

the planes dropped the nerve agent and you walk past a single canister in the car park...

Edited by sci-fi-math
spoiler tag
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Also gonna chime into this slightly old topic. Simply to be a meanie. Unnecessarily. But, whatever. 

I hate this game. This has been brewing in me ever ever since I plat it like 3 years ago. It made me mad with its absolutely wasted potential. It does not make use of being a game well enough to justify being a game, and its story, which is so messy and all over the place (literally), is so spread out that it becomes a chore to play. It could have been good! Cool base ideas for a story, and that eerie feeling. But no. Wasted. That soundtrack and the voice talent is wasted on the game. The graphics aren't even that great, with weird glitches and also just bad motion blur and walking. It gave me motion sickness. Only one scene in the whole game is at all good. Where it goes dark after... maybe people who played remember. Wouldn't be surprised if not though since this game's story is so forgettable. I'm only remembering it now because I'm watching my girlfriend play it for the plat.

OP is very right. "This was just eery and unsettling without any redeeming quality's." EXACTLY! And it doesn't use its eerie and unsettling environment or concept to its advantage at all. It's just... there. For no good reason really! Contrast that with What Remains of Edith Finch, where you play a character who narrates and has a personality. Or Bound, where, while there is no voices really, you know you are playing a character, and the story is delivered in a very dream-like way. Or Journey... Or, because of the similarities of the glowing orbs to audio logs, maybe BioShock. Which uses its audio diaries perfectly. Nothing is wasted time. And it goes perfectly with what you see, or to paint a picture of life before. 

I'm not surprised it triggered some anxiety for people. It's a very empty game. It's gonna make you feel empty. And if you're alone, and invested, and already prone to anxiety, you're gonna feel that strongly. If I wasn't so caught up in how mad it made me the first time I played (due to the high expectations others gave me), I would have probably felt the exact same way. 

Anyway whatever

• Like 1

This game rarely gets any love, but it’s one of my favourites in the walking sim genre, just behind Firewatch. Yeah, the default walking speed should’ve been faster considering the scale of the map, but I liked how it was similar to SOMA in that you can miss a lot of the story if you don’t spend some time exploring away from the main story path. Not great for trophy hunters wanting a fast plat I guess, but I think it’s a cool way of encouraging players to get the most out of a game. It also helped that I really loved the environment as I don’t think I’ve played anything with a rural England setting (and visually it looked great). It’s rare to see any UK-set games at all.

OP did bring up an interesting point about depression. It’s hardly the game’s fault of course, but most of the walking sims I’ve played have either a gloomy or lonely vibe, so I can get why they’d feel like that.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just platted this yesterday. I did enjoy the storytelling to be honest, interesting characters and situations, and I do like that by going for the collectibles it actually gives you the entire story. It is dark, but I did like it, original in its execution and nice sceneries. 

BUT, oh my god for that walking speed! If you speedrun it, it's fine, but having to 'run' around the entire village, I mean....they just had to turn it up slightly and already would have been better. And the run function...rarely was working, or didn't feel like much difference anyways.

Other point that I didn't like was the fact that, although all collectible trophies popped as intended, there was no way in which you'd be sure that each collectible would register, just had to relay on faith. 

In the end, glad I platted this already and won't have to go through that again

• Like 2

I played this after getting it on PsPlus, thinking i dont mind walking sims, i live in England and its a nice pallet cleanser inbetween games that have a more relatable story.

Im lucky, i dont have any mental health issues to deal with but i can see how this could trigger people.

Buuut goddamn this was boring. I played for *checks profile* just over an hour and just didnt feel...a thing. It just reeks of blandness. 

Ive played, loved, platted and hated different walking sims in the past and since playing this, but to me this game is boring. 

• Like 1

On 24.4.2020 at 0:30 AM, Estivee said:

I've put off playing this game for so many years but since I have nothing to do during quarantine time I decided to power through it today. And damn I regret my decision... I seriously feel depressed.

The whole game was so lonely that you start feeling like something is off for real. I truly hated the experience of this feeling. Most movies that goes through something similar at least have the redeeming quality of a main character or some uplifting part to make you relate. This was just eery and unsettling without any redeeming quality's.

For anyone on the fence if you should play this game for the easy platinum! If you are struggling with anxiety or depression stay far away from this game!

Then the game succeeded, you just can't handle it

For me, it kinda fell on the boring side. I do like the idea of exploring a small town areas, even ones that's been wiped of all life and empty; I remember there was this very creepy feel to it, like I was expecting something scary to happen when exploring these abandoned places. But still, moving so damn slow really killed the pace.

I think the biggest thing I got out of this game was it's title, which I use to replace the lyrics of those old Movie Lobby jingles.

Everybody's Gone To The RAP-ture

Everybody's Gone To The rap-ture

Everybody's Gone To The Rap-TURE

To Get Themselves Some Snacks!

or making silly edits like this.

zrcLkWQ.png

Edited by RedRodriguez87
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2021-01-28 at 8:17 PM, lostforever77 said:

Then the game succeeded, you just can't handle it

Haha, it's been a year almost since I wrote this post. But I have reflected on it a bit and I think I agree with you.

I used a bit of a "clickbait" title on this post, I don't actually hate the game, I just made a big mistake playing it when I did.

I still don't like the game but I respect it for what it is. I've actually been thinking of it after turning it of which is more than I can say for most games so it's got that going for it.

Although the walking is too damn slow...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...