Should Sony Require Haptic Use on all PS5 games due to Xbox’s “Dead” Controller

thefourfoldroot

I doubt they'll force anyone, I'm interested to see how the feature gets used. If done right, a lot of the skeptics and naysayers will reverse their positions (like with analogue sticks, rumble, touchscreen etc.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

You just have to live and let live. You asked the question and the answer was that most people are not interested in those features. They're not 'wrong' and neither are you, it's just personal preference. You seem to want to 'convert' people to your way of seeing things. Since it's so subjective why does it matter? Personally, I want a single player game with nice graphics, a good story and no online or multiplayer content. that's pretty much all I want from my console! For others it's different. C'est la vie! People are diverse. Share the love man! xx 

P.S. I get where you're coming from. You want more innovation and you feel held back by the conservatism of other gamers. That's cool and I understand your position. Just so you know I'm not having a go! 

No problem, and yes that’s the position I’ve come to as well. I didn’t want to make it seem like I was having a go either. I fully expected people to give good reasons why Sony mandating something is bad, but am frankly aghast at peoples lack of interest in advancement (and yes they are wrong in that general philosophy, but I didn’t mean to make it seem like I was attacking people for a deficit  in imagination, that is nobody’s fault)

10 hours ago, Lan Stee said:

I doubt they'll force anyone, I'm interested to see how the feature gets used. If done right, a lot of the skeptics and naysayers will reverse their positions (like with analogue sticks, rumble, touchscreen etc.)

Let’s hope so! I doubt it’ll get used without Sony requiring the effort though, not when PC and Xbox don’t allow the option.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

4 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

am frankly aghast at peoples lack of interest in advancement (and yes they are wrong in that general philosophy)

I'm a committed Ludite so I'd have to disagree with that sentiment! We have far too much 'advancement' in my opinion. We need to grow less, develop less, work less, build less (in the West)! More mindfulness, more spirituality, more community, more love and kindness! Yes, I'm a bit of a hippy!! :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I'm a committed Ludite so I'd have to disagree with that sentiment! We have far too much 'advancement' in my opinion. We need to grow less, develop less, work less, build less (in the West)! More mindfulness, more spirituality, more community, more love and kindness! Yes, I'm a bit of a hippy!! :)

I’m with you on the love and kindness, but develop less? No. We need to develop ways to survive coming ice ages and the death of our star. Stopping development is not a moral option.

I like the idea of this haptic feedback, feeling the tension of a bowstring in Horizon / Tomb Raider- sweet. However, I think it should be strongly encouraged not enforced/ mandated. Lair on the PS3 suffered from this in regards to the Sixaxis motion control. Also, haptics should be able to be turned on and off for people with arthritis or other afflictions that would be affected by a button that resists them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

I like the idea of this haptic feedback, feeling the tension of a bowstring in Horizon / Tomb Raider- sweet. However, I think it should be strongly encouraged not enforced/ mandated. Lair on the PS3 suffered from this in regards to the Sixaxis motion control. Also, haptics should be able to be turned on and off for people with arthritis or other afflictions that would be affected by a button that resists them.

I can agree with that.

2 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I am opposed to mandatory haptics, not innovation in general. Seems like an odd mental exercise is required to think that one equals the other.

I was referring to all the people saying “i just need [these already standard things]...” and proceeding to call anything new “gimmicks” LMAO!

• 1 month later...

So, apparently Sony are looking to make using haptics as easy as possible by utilisation the sound effects in games. Surely with all this help devs can’t complain of too large a work burden for such a great feature.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/ps5_can_generate_haptic_feedback_from_sound_effects

Edited by thefourfoldroot