Should Sony Require Haptic Use on all PS5 games due to Xbox’s “Dead” Controller

thefourfoldroot

True haptic feedback sounds great to me. Imagine playing a game like Astro Bot and being able to feel the difference in surfaces (Mud, sand, ice), the bounce of jumping on a trampoline, the difference in the feel of wading through and swimming through water, or in a shooter the feel of a bullet or crossbow bolt moving forward after release, in a racing game the point at which each tyre leaves the tarmac and starts sliding on grass etc, etc.

However, I am concerned it just won’t be used and we’ll be left with a pretty dead lump of plastic for most games. This is because MS have again been so conservative with controller design. PlayStation controllers have barely used features like motion controls or in built speakers simply because third party games haven’t felt they want to get people excited about it. It’s frustrating.

If haptics aren’t used from the start players won’t know why they should demand it and an aspect of next generation will be lost. I’m not even sure if MS kept their adaptive triggers so at least we could be more certain of that on PS5 games.

Do you think Sony should take away the choice and mandate devs use haptic? It might add small costs, but I’m thinking that Sony could provide standardised programs for different surfaces and sensations devs could bolt on.

Clearly I think they should, but would be interested in what the community thinks.

edit: Sony looking to make implementation as simple as possible:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/ps5_can_generate_haptic_feedback_from_sound_effects

Edited by thefourfoldroot

Every controller gimmick they add I really wish they hadn't, six axis was lame and the speaker is annoying, the light bar is just a massive battery drain. Touchpad adding an extra button was the only good thing in ds4. Probably didn't need a share button tbh could have just used the ps button held down.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Haptic feedback doesn’t interest me. It seems like it would be more of a gimmick than anything. I’m more interested in what’s happening on the screen that what the controller is doing.

As for the current under utilised features; a built in speaker is pointless when you game with headphones and I would rather have my controller sitting still than be moving it all around in front of my face.

I’m guessing more people (like myself) want a better battery life for the DS5 because the battery life on the DS4 is just embarrassing.

It may seem like that until used, but there’s a good chance you’ll never know. People have said every new feature of every controller is a gimmick at some point.

Everybody wants a better battery life that goes without saying. I’m just disappointed people are so stuck in their ways.

Still, at least the motion controls were used to great effect on PSVR.

23 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

To be honest, I also think that it won't be used that much. There's no doubt it will be implemented in exclusives, it's just the multiplatform games I don't think it will be.

Yes, this is for certain, which is why I ask whether it would be a good policy for a Sony to mandate it as part of the application process for devs/publishers.

16 minutes ago, xh117 said:

Every controller gimmick they add I really wish they hadn't, six axis was lame and the speaker is annoying, the light bar is just a massive battery drain. Touchpad adding an extra button was the only good thing in ds4. Probably didn't need a share button tbh could have just used the ps button held down.

I love the motion controls in the games in which it is actually used (largely VR now) and the speaker was great in Resogun and Astro Bpt but, again, underused.

The touchpad added 5 extra buttons actually, which could be helpful I agree, but the actual touchpad element was one I found pointless.

Its actually factually incorrect that the light bar (again great for VR) drained the battery. It’s a tiny LED which takes practically no power. The batter drained too quickly because it’s a shit battery, period.

I don’t share stuff, but use the button all the time to grab screenshots for wallpaper. I like to have personalised wallpaper from whatever game I’m currently playing.

16 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I can only imagine how annoying and disturbing and fake that would feel.

Yes, I can imagine almost an infinite number of things too.

For hands on feedback (if you’ll pardon the pun), there is this tonight:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/ps5_controller_to_get_hands_on_showcase_tomorrow

Just now, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes, I can imagine almost an infinite number of things too.

For hands on feedback (if you’ll pardon the pun), there is this tonight:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/ps5_controller_to_get_hands_on_showcase_tomorrow

I’m super excited for this. They’re definitely making baby steps though, still waiting for the price announce. ?

13 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I’m super excited for this. They’re definitely making baby steps though, still waiting for the price announce. ?

Me too, want to know just how good these new features are and news on battery life too. Also have an outside hope of back paddles or clear support for such.

7 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

It might be possible for PS5 exclusive games, but not for other non-exclusive titles due to extra efforts in development

It’s very possible for 3rd party games. If it’s a choice between a little extra effort to add this or not releasing on the machine likely to have the largest install base...if Sony want us to spend hundreds on a new machine they should speak up for us to devs, as well as help them implement these things.

3 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

It’s very possible for 3rd party games. If it’s a choice between a little extra effort to add this or not releasing on the machine likely to have the largest install base...if Sony want us to spend hundreds on a new machine they should speak up for us to devs, as well as help them implement these things.

The fact is, DS4 has Gyro and touchpad, but among all non-exclusive titles that I've played, none of them used the Gyro or the swipe function. The only usage of the touchpad is to utilize it as a normal button, linking the left side and right side on one button or two separately

9 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

The fact is, DS4 has Gyro and touchpad, but among all non-exclusive titles that I've played, none of them used the Gyro or the swipe function. The only usage of the touchpad is to utilize it as a normal button, linking the left side and right side on one button or two separately

The difference is, gyro (as fantastic as it is), and the touchpad, have very specific user cases. It needs gameplay designed around it, especially gyro/accelerometer motion controls, this puts a lot of extra strain on the devs to create different versions of games so I’d never suggest these things should be required.

Haptic feedback is very different as it can and should be used in every part of every game without requiring any game changes. It would just be the same as other versions, just with extra sensory experiences added.

It sounds neat in theory, but I haven't used rumble in the past two console generations. We need useful features, not clever ways to drain the controller's battery.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Helyx said:

It sounds neat in theory, but I haven't used rumble in the past two console generations. We need useful features, not clever ways to drain the controller's battery.

I haven’t either, turned rumble off because of the drain on the awful DS4 battery.

Haptic feedback is barely comparable to rumble. Rumble is just spinning motors in the handles, haptic feedback uses actuators to give enormously varied degrees of movement. They are like the tech used in speakers to create a variety of sounds.

It’s akin to the difference between a d-pad and an analogue stick (which people also called a gimmick)

I do agree the battery needs to be much better this gen, especially if the wonderful haptic tech is commonly used as I Hope.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Haptic feedback is barely comparable to rumble.

Yeah, I understand what it is. I haven't used the basic rumble, so there's zero interest in me to use anything even remotely similar.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Just now, Maaden_Swe said:

The best games will come if you give developers as many tools as possible, but let them decide for themself what to use and what to skip. 

Thats my thought on it :)

Fair enough. Unfortunately publishers will “skip” anything that costs them money if they think they can get away with it. If the gaming community had tried and rejected haptics that’s one thing, but I fear most will not even be given the chance to experience it and will continue in blissful ignorance at the superior experience possible.

As long as games are still playable through Remote Play on the Vita, I'm fine with that.

"Requiring" developers to use a controller function seems like something Sony can't handle. They can't handle verifying trophies work or that games fully function. Deciding a controller function must be implemented seems a weird place to draw the line.

18 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

As long as games are still playable through Remote Play on the Vita, I'm fine with that.

"Requiring" developers to use a controller function seems like something Sony can't handle. They can't handle verifying trophies work or that games fully function. Deciding a controller function must be implemented seems a weird place to draw the line.

Well, it’s pretty easy to see just by playing the code of the game if it’s on or off.

personally I don’t think it’s strange. It could actually be one of the most noticeable things differentiating them from the competiton next gen - but only if 3rd party devs use it.

11 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

I will be turning it off the day I buy a PS5 if its possible to disable.

lol, wow, way to form an opinion before ever using it! It least give the Astro Bot built in game a go first. It’s free and designed to show the benefits. Turn it off after that if it annoys you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes, this is for certain, which is why I ask whether it would be a good policy for a Sony to mandate it as part of the application process for devs/publishers.

I love the motion controls in the games in which it is actually used (largely VR now) and the speaker was great in Resogun and Astro Bpt but, again, underused.

The touchpad added 5 extra buttons actually, which could be helpful I agree, but the actual touchpad element was one I found pointless.

Its actually factually incorrect that the light bar (again great for VR) drained the battery. It’s a tiny LED which takes practically no power. The batter drained too quickly because it’s a shit battery, period.

I don’t share stuff, but use the button all the time to grab screenshots for wallpaper. I like to have personalised wallpaper from whatever game I’m currently playing.

It's been tested multiple times that the battery in the DS4 lasts longer with the lightbar disabled

25 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's been tested multiple times that the battery in the DS4 lasts longer with the lightbar disabled

I didn’t say no power, I said practically no power. Increase duration of use is about an hour with it dim, but this is with no other input (from 11-12 hours). When you actually use it the percentage difference is tiny (if it takes 12 hours of the light to lose 1 hrs of charge, then when using for 4hrs, which is about as long as the controller lasts, you are losing about 20 minutes of use due to the light).

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/05/does_dimming_the_ps4_controllers_light_bar_increase_its_battery_life

Maybe an extra 5-10 minutes charging equivalent  ?‍♂️

Just like rumble, any controller gimmicks outside of how the controller actually feels in my hand with the system turned off, are pretty much auto-turn offs for me. I wish I could get rid of the lightbar on the DS4, I really do not care at all about it since 99.9% of the time I'm never looking at my controller. The only thing I actually care about is how the controller feels and how easy it is to use.

Like said previously, if there's an option to turn it off in the settings, that'll probably be my first stop on the PS5 for my controller. 

Not that I'm against more features for those that want them, but I've been playing across multiple console generations now (Xbox now PlayStation) and more controller features are not something I'll ever use. If I want to actually "feel" what it's like doing activities... I'll literally go outside and do those activities. Just having the controller make little noises/movements is very off putting for me. Nice, quiet and still is where my comfort lies and hopefully stays. I don't want features like this forced on me, I'd rather turn them off.

• Like 1