Should Sony Require Haptic Use on all PS5 games due to Xbox’s “Dead” Controller

thefourfoldroot

3 minutes ago, Sword said:

Just like rumble, any controller gimmicks outside of how the controller actually feels in my hand with the system turned off, are pretty much auto-turn offs for me. I wish I could get rid of the lightbar on the DS4, I really do not care at all about it since 99.9% of the time I'm never looking at my controller. The only thing I actually care about is how the controller feels and how easy it is to use.

Like said previously, if there's an option to turn it off in the settings, that'll probably be my first stop on the PS5 for my controller. 

Not that I'm against more features for those that want them, but I've been playing across multiple console generations now (Xbox now PlayStation) and more controller features are not something I'll ever use. If I want to actually "feel" what it's like doing activities... I'll literally go outside and do those activities. Just having the controller make little noises/movements is very off putting for me. Nice, quiet and still is where my comfort lies and hopefully stays. I don't want features like this forced on me, I'd rather turn them off.

I felt the same when they introduced analogue sticks. Funny how we grow to appreciate new features once we experience them.

I have a new DS4 controller and an old one. The old one has worn out buttons, and whenever I switch from the new to the old controller (if new needs recharging), the worn out buttons are quite annoying. I can't imagine I'd like anything that makes buttons/sticks feel different, if that is what's meant with haptic feedback.

5 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I have a new DS4 controller and an old one. The old one has worn out buttons, and whenever I switch from the new to the old controller (if new needs recharging), the worn out buttons are quite annoying. I can't imagine I'd like anything that makes buttons/sticks feel different, if that is what's meant with haptic feedback.

It’s not, so no worries.

Just now, Bizurke2003 said:

I don't think Sony should require all games to have those features.  Don't give developers a reason to not bring their game to PS5.

None of us know how easy or difficult it would be to program. I imagine their would be set frequencies in a library of different effects and you’d just need a trigger point. I can’t Imagine it would impact the cost of all but the lowest budget indie games, but I’d have no problem making those few examples exempt.

Hey, remember how in Infamous Second Son, you have to literally shake your controller vertically to simulate shaking a spray paint can? What a great gimmick! ?

Let developers use haptic response if they choose. Mandating it will just cause them to crowbar terrible mechanics into games that don't need them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Hey, remember how in Infamous Second Son, you have to literally shake your controller vertically to simulate shaking a spray paint can? What a great gimmick! 1f610.png

Let developers use haptic response if they choose. Mandating it will just cause them to crowbar terrible mechanics into games that don't need them.

I find mechanics like that engaging...

Snyway, haptics is different as it isn’t a mechanic, not a part of gameplay. There is literally no downside, it Literally just lets you feel more of the game.

Can we really feel these...feedbacks? How does it even work. Does it send signals to my brain or something?

I just want a solid working controller that'll last for the whole console life...

Each to their own but it wouldn't interest me as a feature. I think that the reason some features in the current controller are not used is because they are not very good. I've played a few games that require you to use the motion sensors and have found it to be a pain in the ar*e feature. The same for the controller speakers. I have a young child and family so I often play in the evening with the volume on low. I  don't need controller speakers making loud noises and waking up the baby!!  The rumble feature is ok but I'm not sure that improving it would add much in terms of gameplay enjoyment. 

6 minutes ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Each to their own but it wouldn't interest me as a feature. I think that the reason some features in the current controller are not used is because they are not very good. I've played a few games that require you to use the motion sensors and have found it to be a pain in the ar*e feature. The same for the controller speakers. I have a young child and family so I often play in the evening with the volume on low. I  don't need controller speakers making loud noises and waking up the baby!!  The rumble feature is ok but I'm not sure that improving it would add much in terms of gameplay enjoyment. 

OH man you just reminded me about the controller speakers. I wish you could turn those off too.

Lol, I give up on people! This is why VR hasn’t taken off too, the “it’s good enough and I have no imagination” brigade. 
No offence to any individual person, we’re all gamers here, but it is frustrating when gamer inertia holds back genuine innovation.

Anyway, I’ll take the answer as a “no, controllers have advanced as far as I ever need them to”.

21 minutes ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

OH man you just reminded me about the controller speakers. I wish you could turn those off too.

You can literally do this now in your controller settings

About the haptics though

its a more intense or less intense vibration in the controller depending on the scenario

i have zero cares about my controllers vibrations

Edited by Property_Damage

I wish they’d just left it as rumble (spinning cams) which feels more natural to me. On the Xbox One controller their version of haptic feedback feels like you’re holding varying levels of an angry wasp and quickly becomes grating.

I’m quite surprised by people turning rumble off! Not saying I disagree as each to their own, but I came across a bug in Fallout 76 where the rumble would randomly stop working until I restarted the game. Without rumble the game felt very flat when shooting, I felt detached from what was happening on screen, a bit like the frustration of watching someone else play a game while you sit there picturing how you would play it instead with that muscle memory feeling ?

Each to their own of course, no judgement on people’s own preferences. These extra features like touch pad, controller speaker, and motion sensors are all gimmicks that are fine for small features to add something special but a pain in the arse when they are core game mechanics. The only exception in my mind is motion control in Dreams, just look at what people are creating all without a computer mouse. So I believe that naturally all games will use haptics like they use rumble now, but the other features should not be required as we’re used to by now with PS4.

Edited by InfraRedPS
Shoulda proof read before submitting
  • Like 1

I will try it, It call my attention and I enjoy new things but honestly if they don't give 3rd party developers something like a library or a easy way to put this in their game I can see another feature only used by first party game in the console and yes is a shame.

I still remember how many thing the Vita can do and only one game called Teraway makes a good use of them the rest never use it even some exclusives.

But yes I will give it the try I enjoyed the rumble, speakers and lights in the DS4 so...

I'm excited for haptic feedback. I don't think it should necessarily be compulsory since certain kinds of games mind not need it (example, point-and-click heavy games) but I hope many use it. First and third party devs seem excited about it so that's a good thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NordicSaiyan said:

I still remember how many thing the Vita can do and only one game called Teraway makes a good use of them

You're right about that. Little Deviants uses all of them, but I wouldn't call it "good" and I'll be really glad to finish up these last one or two missions on Gold to platinum this game and forget all about it. There were some fun parts with the Vita control, but some parts are just downright infuriating. It's like I need a 4 foot radius of clearance around me to play some of these games. This AR is more demanding than VR!

• Like 1

I feel like it HAS to be required since it's replacing the traditional rumble feature. The idea that it suddenly won't be used at all so you end up with zero rumble of any kind doesn't seem plausible to me. I can see devs not using the Adaptive Triggers...but rumble is a MASSIVE feature. 

Honestly I didn't even think about the possibility of it not being there due to Xbox (again). I've been using rumble since the original DualShock...it's such an integral part of the experience to me, that it's going to be severely noticeable if it's just gone. This was one of the reasons I HATED the original Sixaxis controller on the PS3...no rumble felt strange to me.

I guess the question here is, does the DualSense have some way of just replicating standard rumble when devs don't want to put the extra work in? 

13 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Hey, remember how in Infamous Second Son, you have to literally shake your controller vertically to simulate shaking a spray paint can? What a great gimmick! ?

I won't lie, that was actually probably my favorite part of the game. Took a couple instances before I understood that the arrow on the screen was indicating that you need to turn the controller 90 degrees to the left and hold it like you would an actual can of spray paint. ?

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I feel like it HAS to be required since it's replacing the traditional rumble feature. The idea that it suddenly won't be used at all so you end up with zero rumble of any kind doesn't seem plausible to me. I can see devs not using the Adaptive Triggers...but rumble is a MASSIVE feature. 

Honestly I didn't even think about the possibility of it not being there due to Xbox (again). I've been using rumble since the original DualShock...it's such an integral part of the experience to me, that it's going to be severely noticeable if it's just gone. This was one of the reasons I HATED the original Sixaxis controller on the PS3...no rumble felt strange to me.

I guess the question here is, does the DualSense have some way of just replicating standard rumble when devs don't want to put the extra work in? 

Im sure they can just have the one single rumble power that occurs for all in game triggers. Would just be a real shame not to feel the difference between walking through sand and sliding on ice as you can in the new Astro bot game for example. But if a game can’t use it on Xbox or pc I doubt it’ll be used in many 3rd party games unless required as part of the Sony Certification process 

On 7/17/2020 at 7:26 AM, thefourfoldroot said:

I felt the same when they introduced analogue sticks. Funny how we grow to appreciate new features once we experience them.

True for some things. Rumble on the other hand is a feature I have experienced and turned off asap and kept it that way for many years now. I can't imagine haptic feedback will be any different in my view. If the controller moves any bit without my direct intervention it drives me nuts.

Again I don't mind new features for those that want them, so long as they can be turned off. If they can't I'll probably wait until a modded controller comes out that doesn't have the hardware/sensors/whatever to ignore the haptic feeback on the controller. 

3 minutes ago, Sword said:

True for some things. Rumble on the other hand is a feature I have experienced and turned off asap and kept it that way for many years now. I can't imagine haptic feedback will be any different in my view. If the controller moves any bit without my direct intervention it drives me nuts.

Again I don't mind new features for those that want them, so long as they can be turned off. If they can't I'll probably wait until a modded controller comes out that doesn't have the hardware/sensors/whatever to ignore the haptic feeback on the controller. 

I’m sure they can be turned off and would support that. Everyone should have the option to experience and choose haptics to turn off if they wish (they won’t).

While everyone is saying that things like motion controls are a gimmick and no 3rd party used them, I laugh because for the Nintendo Switch the users put pressure on developers to add motion controls to their games after seeing how well Nintendo implementing it in some of theirs.  Doom, Skyrim, and Overwatch all had optional motion controls added to them, I'm sure there are others too, but it falls on us to demand that developers actually use functionality.  Will it always get us what we want?  No, but if it interest you for certain games, reach out to the developers and tell them.  Sony (and Nintendo) are giving them the tools, tell them you want them to use them!

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 10:39 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Lol, I give up on people! This is why VR hasn’t taken off too, the “it’s good enough and I have no imagination” brigade. 
No offence to any individual person, we’re all gamers here, but it is frustrating when gamer inertia holds back genuine innovation.

Anyway, I’ll take the answer as a “no, controllers have advanced as far as I ever need them to”.

You just have to live and let live. You asked the question and the answer was that most people are not interested in those features. They're not 'wrong' and neither are you, it's just personal preference. You seem to want to 'convert' people to your way of seeing things. Since it's so subjective why does it matter? Personally, I want a single player game with nice graphics, a good story and no online or multiplayer content. that's pretty much all I want from my console! For others it's different. C'est la vie! People are diverse. Share the love man! xx 

P.S. I get where you're coming from. You want more innovation and you feel held back by the conservatism of other gamers. That's cool and I understand your position. Just so you know I'm not having a go! 

• Like 1