Excluding 2020 releases, what are your top games of the year so far?

Mayellie

When I saw the thread about the interim GOTY I had this same thought, because I have not played a single 2020 game yet. Good thread. 

The game that I enjoyed the most until now was AI: Somnium Files. Others very good games were Atelyer Ayesha DX, Tales of Zestiria and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 0:56 AM, ImmortalFox- said:

Had an absolute blast on Origins and had an even bigger one on Odyssey.

I need a long break from AC after what Origins' trophy list did to me. I've barely just started trophy hunting, but it broke me. I'll get around to Odyssey...someday. :P

On 7/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, xxEliteCDxx said:

I would say Horizon zero Dawn, it is a very enjoyable Role-Playing game, with a really interesting plot and an excellent combat system.

I wasn't too interested in HZD until I heard your thoughts and read your review as well! That's definitely changed my mind. It's a game I certainly need to check out some more. :) 

20 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

BioShock Infinite(*): Won't have to tell you that I still think this is a phenomenal game (ditto story). No further comment, you'll have to play it for yourself! ;)

With the rate I'm playing Bioshock 1 at, I'll be 50 before I get around to Infinite. ? You already know I've played the rest of the games on your list (with the exception of Titanfall 2, but its turn is coming). All have been super solid games so far! -_-

19 hours ago, mecharobot said:

For some reason I don't have this problem with older (or lower budget) games with reading text boxes and such... dunno why that is, but these games with long cinematics of characters talking about nothing make me bored real fast.

I can definitely relate this. While Yakuza is a fantastic franchise, it does feel a bit like a reading game at times. Dialogue often easily takes 5+ minutes, so I also tend to lose focus here and there (even more so because the dialogue is in Japanese, and, well, I don't speak Japanese) and get bored. 

• Like 3

In no particular order

Kid tripp, fun little platform game

Mlb the show 19, Really enjoyed the online diamond dynasty mode.  

A way out, good times with the wife with this game.  

Track mania turbo, challenging driving game.  

To me, God of War 2018. Last time I beat it was february 2020, but I always go back from time to time to do some trials. I think the combat is just perfect.

2019 onward, I have huge regards for Control. Loved the eerie atmosphere of that game way too much. Can't wait to boot it on PS5.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

I love this game.  Ys Origin was my favorite in the series, but this blew it away.  The music, the story, the combat, the music, the characters.  It's all fantastic.

Cold Steel III

I can not wait for Cold Steel IV.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

I can't believe it took me so long to play it.  It was a lot of fun.

Iconoclasts

I loved the world and artstyle.  The sprites looked great.  The story was out there.

Dandara

Another great looked 2D game.  A bit darker in tone than Iconoclasts.  And the combat and exploration was fun.  Even after beating the game and DLC, I never really felt like I got the hang of it.

Code Vein

I love character creators, customization, and job based games.  And this game has it all.  It has the best character creator I've seen.  I love being able to change you job.  And take skills from others and make something to suit you.  

Edited by Ilzaki
  • Like 1

I've tried to list mine in the approximate order I played them this year.

• Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - I had previously only played the original Crash Bandicoot on PS1 and really enjoyed this  trilogy. Some of the time trials were challenging, but I stubborned my way through all of them for a trifecta of platinums. I was so proud when I got the gold relic on Stormy Ascent that I saved a video clip on my PS4 for my own admiration whenever I like!
  • Untitled Goose Game - Played this on Switch after my son wanted to spend some of his Xmas money on it. It's wacky, it's hilarious, it's a ton of fun.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I was really excited to play this remake since I never owned a Game Boy, and it didn't disappoint. The art style, the music, the classic Zelda gameplay... mwha, chef's kiss.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - Really glad this got a Switch port so I could play it. It's just an excellent overall game.
  • Oxenfree - @Mayellie I can't remember for certain, but you may have been the one to tell me about this game? I was previously aware of it, but purchased it after seeing positive feedback from gamers whose taste I trust. Trippy mind-bending stuff is right up my alley.
  • Monster Hunter: World - This game was a bit overwhelming when I first tried it, but once I learned what the hell I was doing (still an ongoing process), I loved it. It's quite the time sink - I'm still playing it and have clocked over 100 hours so far. I'd love to earn the platinum for this game, but since grinding out all the necessary gold crowns could EASILY take another 200 hours and my gaming time is limited, I'm not sure it's going to happen.
Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Oxenfree - @Mayellie I can't remember for certain, but you may have been the one to tell me about this game? I was previously aware of it, but purchased it after seeing positive feedback from gamers whose taste I trust. Trippy mind-bending stuff is right up my alley.

I'd recommend to check out Afterparty since you liked Oxenfree (if you haven't already). Made by the same studio, and with the same style of art + visuals. I can't say how good it is because I haven't tried it myself, and while I also like mind-trippy stuff, I'm not sure if this has that same element, either. But the pitch seems funny and goofy; Milo and Lola are best friends that died together, got sent to Hell, and have a chance to leave if they outdrink Satan. I'm pretty sold on that! And it could fulfill the "A" in your platinum quest that I read about as well. I'd like to get Afterparty. Just waiting on a good price cut. ^_^

Edited by Mayellie
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mayellie said:

I'd recommend to check out Afterparty since you liked Oxenfree (if you haven't already). Made by the same studio, and with the same style of art + visuals. I can't say how good it is because I haven't tried it myself, and while I also like mind-trippy stuff, I'm not sure if this has that same element, either. But the pitch seems funny and goofy; Milo and Lola are best friends that died together, got sent to Hell, and have a chance to leave if they outdrink Satan. I'm pretty sold on that! And it could fulfill the "A" in your platinum quest that I read about as well. I'd like to get Afterparty. Just waiting on a good price cut. ^_^

As someone who recently platinum’d it, it’s pretty different from Oxenfree but still incredibly funny and enjoyable (and an easy plat as well!)

• Like 1

I don't buy games often on release so I am in the same boat as some people here. I haven't played an insane amount of games mainly because some of them can be quite time consuming but these are my favourites: 

• Marvel's Spider-Man - I was late with jumping into Spidey but it exceeded my expectations I tought it wouldn't be as fun but I really had a great time. I really liked the Story and the city looks amazing! I also enjoyed the DLC parts even. The only downside were a bit too many crimes and they were quite repetive at the end.
  • Monster Hunter World/Iceborne - I am cheating a little bit with this one as I completed this one on PC previously. Even though I still had a great time sunk way too many hours into this game! One of the best communities out there too.
  • NieR: Automata - A fantastic game that beforehand was not sure if I would enjoy. I really like the variety of genres mixed into the game. Also the story is weird but special in its own way.
  • Bioshock 2 Remastered - A nice followup to Bioshock 1 with some great improvements in gameplay. The story wasn't as great as 1 but that is the only downside. I also thought that the DLC was fantastic! I even enjoyed the challenge rooms DLC.
  • Spyro 2/3 - I really enjoy collectatons/3d platformers. Having played 1 back in 2019 I was looking forward to playing 2 and 3. 2 is my favourite of the collection. It was really nice to have an easy relaxing experience between the harder games. 

• Like 2