Best Cards to Purchase?

zippydpt

Hey, all! I am trying to earn the platinum in this game (it would be my greatest achievement in gaming), and I am working on earning G.O.A.T. status. I have something like 1700 cards, but I feel kind of dejected about the whole process. I own all of the Current '20 Series, most of the second Current '20 Series, and most of the uniforms and stuff, but I don't know what to go for next.

I keep playing domination, as I have a 98 AVG term with unlimited contracts, which nets me three cards (usually) per match, but I want to buy a bunch of cards. I frequently grab silver cards that are less that 1K MT, which I add to my collection (if I don't have them), or sell for a profit. What cards/collections should I work towards? I want cheap cards, but I also want good completion rewards. Anybody want to collaborate on PSN? My PSNID is zippydpt.

You should always prioritize cards that are likely to go up in price. Certain premium sets (Moments/Moment of the Week) and Heat Check cards are ideal if you can find them for below market value. Check periodically and pay attention to the price trends so that you can take advantage of the volatile market to maximize your profits.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tentativeuser said:

You should always prioritize cards that are likely to go up in price. Certain premium sets (Moments/Moment of the Week) and Heat Check cards are ideal if you can find them for below market value. Check periodically and pay attention to the price trends so that you can take advantage of the volatile market to maximize your profits.

I have heard that Heat Check cards aren't worth it (if they are at their normal values, respectively). Is it a good idea to purchase them in general?

8 hours ago, zippydpt said:

I have heard that Heat Check cards aren't worth it (if they are at their normal values, respectively). Is it a good idea to purchase them in general?

You won't have a choice. As mentioned in the trophy guide, there are approximately 3400 obtainable cards in the game right now and you need 2900. There is virtually no path to GOAT Collector without collecting at least a fair amount of Heat Check cards. 

Edited by Tentativeuser
  • Like 1

Heat Check cards contribute to roughly 441 cards. Unless 2K releases them as token packs, or changes vault rewards to include a HC pack, the only other way outside of what's left in the AH is to play Unlimited (Win 1 Game, Lose 3)... and at the moment (September 2020), they go for between 9k - 15k. Unfortunately, as Tentativeuser stated, you are going to need at least half of them to have a chance at 2900. =(

• Like 1

On 12/09/2020 at 5:23 PM, Roundtoad said:

Heat Check cards contribute to roughly 441 cards. Unless 2K releases them as token packs, or changes vault rewards to include a HC pack, the only other way outside of what's left in the AH is to play Unlimited (Win 1 Game, Lose 3)... and at the moment (September 2020), they go for between 9k - 15k. Unfortunately, as Tentativeuser stated, you are going to need at least half of them to have a chance at 2900. =(

Would be interesting to see how many HCs are needed. I’m at 2350 cards and have only 50 HCs so far   

12 hours ago, m0nk3y_aust said:

Would be interesting to see how many HCs are needed. I’m at 2350 cards and have only 50 HCs so far   

I'm currently sitting at 2275 with 30HCs. According to some posts on this forum, and some of the guides on Reddit, there are roughly 3500 available cards. Now take this with a grain of salt as these guides were written over 8 months ago and well before new cards were released (Moments, Player's Club, GOAT, NEXT etc) and so, some sets were not considered in the calculation for 2900. 

That being said, 441 HCs is still a huge chunk and I would say at minimum, you'll need 220 for any chance at it. 

=(

UPDATE: Just to clarify. The game has 3400 OBTAINABLE cards (As of September 2020)

Edited by Roundtoad
Clarification of number of obtainable cards
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roundtoad said:

I'm currently sitting at 2275 with 30HCs. According to some posts on this forum, and some of the guides on Reddit, there are roughly 3500 available cards. Now take this with a grain of salt as these guides were written over 8 months ago and well before new cards were released (Moments, Player's Club, GOAT, NEXT etc) and so, some sets were not considered in the calculation for 2900. 

That being said, 441 HCs is still a huge chunk and I would say at minimum, you'll need 220 for any chance at it. 

=(

Eitherway, once I get GOAT i'm going to post back with the number of HCs and see if I did get 220 or not :)

Edited by m0nk3y_aust

9 hours ago, Roundtoad said:

UPDATE: Just to clarify. The game has 3400 OBTAINABLE cards (As of September 2020)

This can't be right...you do realise that many cards are unobtainable because they were a part of moments challenge that are not in rotation anymore, no promo cards are available....3400 seems like an overestimate 

20 minutes ago, Malex595 said:

This can't be right...you do realise that many cards are unobtainable because they were a part of moments challenge that are not in rotation anymore, no promo cards are available....3400 seems like an overestimate 

The guide here states the game has 3559 available cards, of which around 150 are now unobtainable, which leaves 3400 that can still be gotten.

If anyone with updated knowlege wants to confirm this to still be the case, then please do =)

46 minutes ago, Malex595 said:

Approximately 3400 is correct. You are greatly overestimating how many cards you can obtain through the challenges. I did not do a single challenge in the entire game and easily obtained 2900 cards and I know for a fact that I could have obtained hundreds more from the Auction House alone. I just checked the game again and counted up the cards I could get and 3400 is still definitely achievable even without any unobtainable promo cards. You don't even need to do Domination/Sims/etc. to get GOAT Collector, although it's very helpful because you can save a significant amount of MT. 

13 minutes ago, SaviorKIA said:

I was counting all cards when preparing guide. There were 3559 cards in total about 3400 cards are obtainable via playing games and AH.

This was exactly what I found as well. The main problem that people can have is the high price of the cards once you get to the end, not the lack of cards available. 

Edited by Tentativeuser
  • Like 2

i'm just sad i didn't start playing the game earlier so that could have some MT for the market crash that happened about a month ago. the prices we are facing now are ridiculous. i remember when HC cards were 2-3k....now i'm lucky when i get a new one under 10k (without sniping). 

and i cannot imagine prices going down at any point in the future. 

a quick question though, how many of those 3400 are opals?=

Edited by Malex595

1 hour ago, Malex595 said:

i'm just sad i didn't start playing the game earlier so that could have some MT for the market crash that happened about a month ago. the prices we are facing now are ridiculous. i remember when HC cards were 2-3k....now i'm lucky when i get a new one under 10k (without sniping). 

and i cannot imagine prices going down at any point in the future. 

a quick question though, how many of those 3400 are opals?=

I don't know exactly how many of these are opals. But I would say that around 150-200 cards had high prices (50k+) at the end of August. The most expensive card I bought a month ago cost about 15-20k. And I didn't have most of cards from challenges, but had some from locker codes.I also had some Opals that cost about 8-10k back then (cheap GOATs and NBA is Back).

Edited by SaviorKIA

4 hours ago, Tentativeuser said:

Approximately 3400 is correct. You are greatly overestimating how many cards you can obtain through the challenges. I did not do a single challenge in the entire game and easily obtained 2900 cards and I know for a fact that I could have obtained hundreds more from the Auction House alone. I just checked the game again and counted up the cards I could get and 3400 is still definitely achievable even without any unobtainable promo cards. You don't even need to do Domination/Sims/etc. to get GOAT Collector, although it's very helpful because you can save a significant amount of MT. 

This was exactly what I found as well. The main problem that people can have is the high price of the cards once you get to the end, not the lack of cards available. 

Agree but for the last sentence, the two go hand in hand.  Because of the limited supply of cards (most players have moved on), sellers can more easily control prices and price lock certain cards as they wish.  Low supply = manipulated pricing.   You see this with Heat Checks among others that were only released a long time ago.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, djb5f said:

Agree but for the last sentence, the two go hand in hand.  Because of the limited supply of cards (most players have moved on), sellers can more easily control prices and price lock certain cards as they wish.  Low supply = manipulated pricing.   You see this with Heat Checks among others that were only released a long time ago.

While that would make sense in a real-world economy, the game is set up in a way that allows for people to get a lot of cards, fix the price, or even do a pump-and-dump, where they raise the price by a LOT, then cash out all at once. Half the stuff that I, and others, do on the market would totally start an investigation into our dealings and whatnot.

It is a pretty cool system, but you can't think of it as if it were a nation's economy.

The game lacks the fundamental issue that economics is designed to address: scarcity. Generally speaking, there is no shortage of cards in the game, thus the economy is easily manipulated, and many economic principles cannot be applied.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zippydpt said:

The game lacks the fundamental issue that economics is designed to address: scarcity. Generally speaking, there is no shortage of cards in the game, thus the economy is easily manipulated, and many economic principles cannot be applied.

While this was true during the Sept 2019- AUG 2020, the in-game economy is a whole new beast now. Scarcity is a real thing now that you do not have new packs to open (right now you can only open NBA is back, G.O.A.T and series 2 regular and deluxe packs). With each passing day we have less and less cards in circulation. if you don't believe me, check how much heatchecks or some premium sets will go for in about a month or two...

On 18-9-2020 at 11:48 AM, Malex595 said:

While this was true during the Sept 2019- AUG 2020, the in-game economy is a whole new beast now. Scarcity is a real thing now that you do not have new packs to open (right now you can only open NBA is back, G.O.A.T and series 2 regular and deluxe packs). With each passing day we have less and less cards in circulation. if you don't believe me, check how much heatchecks or some premium sets will go for in about a month or two...

Was away for 2 weeks and already shocked at the state of the auction house.. made a million mt in the 2 weeks before my break but I doubt I'll be able to maintain that pace.. 1200 cards to go.. time to put in the extra hours because I fear what will remain in a month or 2

I'm in the same boat. I was getting all my cards through the auction house, purposely leaving the offline stuff alone so that once I reached a certain point I could relax and enjoy some games. I was flipping Pink Diamond cards and splitting contracts. But then I had to go out of state to watch my brothers kids for a few weeks because his wife had to have a emergency surgery (she made it which is really the important part of this post).I came back and the market had gone way up. I blew through my MT kind of panic buying cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently sitting exactly at 1781 cards. Started playing in the beginning of September, so far I was mostly getting cards via AH and TTos, still have to grind 2/3 of all domination games and spotlight challenges. The grind is real with this game which would be fine but the lack of time and situation at AH getting worse every day really stresses me out and makes me think if committing to this project this late in the year was good idea (of course it wasnt). As others are mentioning, I was hoping I could avoid most of the Heat Check cards. I collected one East and West Heat Check teams for the challenges but decided to not spend 10k MT per card (and the price has been only increasing in recent days), clearly there is no other way around. 

Probably it is mission impossible to obtain it at this time but will still give it go. Good luck to everyone that is still trying to get it!

Actually heat check cards are going for 9-10k for about 3 weeks now. You can still snipe some for lower, but its luck based, and with time passing i can imagine sniping will become more difficult 

don't know other peoples experiences, but the vault has been opening like crazy for me inoffline TTO. if you need MT, that is your best shot

Edited by Malex595

8 hours ago, RasputinCZ said:

Currently sitting exactly at 1781 cards. Started playing in the beginning of September, so far I was mostly getting cards via AH and TTos, still have to grind 2/3 of all domination games and spotlight challenges. The grind is real with this game which would be fine but the lack of time and situation at AH getting worse every day really stresses me out and makes me think if committing to this project this late in the year was good idea (of course it wasnt). As others are mentioning, I was hoping I could avoid most of the Heat Check cards. I collected one East and West Heat Check teams for the challenges but decided to not spend 10k MT per card (and the price has been only increasing in recent days), clearly there is no other way around. 

Probably it is mission impossible to obtain it at this time but will still give it go. Good luck to everyone that is still trying to get it!

I am in the same boat as you - I started this mission at the end of August, and currently sitting on 2450 cards. At this stage, I'm lucky to come across a card worth less than 10k in the AH.

There is 1 other way of acquiring Heat Check cards outside of the AH and that is to play 4 games of Unlimited. The first tier reward is a HC pack - so you have to win at least 1 game and then lose 3. In my opinion, it's not worth the grind as earning 10k MT for a HC is easier and less of a hassle.

If you suck at playing the AH like me, the best way to earn MT (as @Malex595 mentioned) is to grind the hell out of Triple Threat Offline. I have played about 1250 games, and in my experience the vault opens roughly 2-4 times every 10 games, and you can breeze through games in 5 minutes. The advantage of 2K no longer updating rewards is that opening the vault is a guaranteed 10 tokens or 5k MT. Use the tokens to buy all the player rewards up to Pink Diamond, and then use the excess tokens to buy packs and sell them in the AH. 

You will come to a point (~2000 cards), where all your remaining cards will cost >8k, sadly, you have no choice but to grind this one out unless some miracle happens and 2K re-releases all the packs in the token market. I'm coming to the conclusion that the last 400 cards will cost more than the first 2500 cards.

Good luck to us benchwarmers.

Edited by Roundtoad

i started my grind almost two months ago. the most i ever payed for a card was 15k. there might have been a handful of cards that were paid more, but that was just to complete a collection. i don't think there were more than 10 cards i paid more than 15k MT.

i had very little luck with packs. most valuable cards i pulled were PD Nate Thurmond and NBA is Back GO Brandon Ingram. everything else was achieved through AH and grinding offline game modes. i must have spent at least a 100 -150 hours just on sniping while watching Netflix. I watched more movies during the past month and a half than i have in the last five years ?