This Game is a huge wasted opportunity

pepemacca

Another disapointing Star Wars game. what a let down.

The interior of the TIE in VR is cool and graphically it’s not bad, but the single player campaign is boring! It’s just a string of very bland, repetitive missions. Did any of the designers ever play any previous Star Wars games at all? There’s literally a history of Star Wars games featuring space battles That they could have learned from to see what works but you wouldn’t think that after playing this. Where’s the variety in mission objectives? Where’s the sense of scale?  why not include classic battles from the films like rogue squadron did? Where’s the falcon?  The most iconic ship of the whole saga and they leave it out, what a stupid decision. Then in between each Boring mission you have to mash square to skip loads of badly written monologues delivered by badly designed characters who don’t look like they belong in Star Wars. Look how far we’ve come graphically since the original arcade vector game. But I know which I’d rather play. This is sub standard half baked half arsed rubbish.

The game is published by EA why did anyone expect different?

Edited by kdogg_gamer_
added quote
  • Like 3

The VR implementation on this works well, I think, as I said actually being IN the TIE cockpit and being able to look around is really cool...I just find it totally baffling that they didn’t put in a bonus level where you’re in the gun port of the Millenium Falcon, or indeed the falcon cockpit so we could have had an asteroid TIE chase, or, better yet, Death Star 2 so we could have played the battle of endor. That all would have been amazing with this game, AND their inclusion would have made this a killer app that no Star Wars fan could have resisted. I just don’t understand why those things were left out.

• Like 1

I grew up on X-Wing way back in the day, and this is as close as I expect we'll ever get to that.

The SP isn't that great though. It's more or less a long tutorial for the MP. It has echoes of the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter campaings, optional objectives, medals to earn etc. I would have rather had a straight up remake of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games.

But I'm also a big Star Wars fan, and despite not playing any of the recent Battlefronts, I have a real soft spot for the ships. I make model kits as a hobby, so it's actually cool to be able to view the ships in such high detail.

In short, play this if you're a Star Wars ships fan. But it's not the X-Wing you're looking for.

21 minutes ago, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I grew up on X-Wing way back in the day, and this is as close as I expect we'll ever get to that.

The SP isn't that great though. It's more or less a long tutorial for the MP. It has echoes of the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter campaings, optional objectives, medals to earn etc. I would have rather had a straight up remake of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games.

But I'm also a big Star Wars fan, and despite not playing any of the recent Battlefronts, I have a real soft spot for the ships. I make model kits as a hobby, so it's actually cool to be able to view the ships in such high detail.

In short, play this if you're a Star Wars ships fan. But it's not the X-Wing you're looking for.

If you are a big Star Wars fan and enjoy the sights/sounds you should really play the two Battlefronts.  They are well done and have star fighter assault (similar to this) - as well as a lot of other modes.  Great attention to detail.

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

If you are a big Star Wars fan and enjoy the sights/sounds you should really play the two Battlefronts.  They are well done and have star fighter assault (similar to this) - as well as a lot of other modes.  Great attention to detail.

They do look cool. I'm just allergic to MP ? but bit the proton bullet for Squadrons.

I'm slowly painting all the minis from Imperial Assault, so maybe I will look into Battlefront to get ideas for painting uniforms etc.

There’s some interesting points here that make me agree this is a wasted opportunity.

I’ve only played the opening mission so far and quite enjoyed it, most likely fuelled by my love of the SW flight games on N64. But it is a shame there doesn’t appear to be more to this single player than that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Longevity is the biggest issue with Squadrons.

I’m level 41, I’ve unlocked all components. Completed fleet battles. There’s not much more to do other than unlock the same skins for every fighter while slowly crawling towards 1000 kills.

But mostly I want the devs to fix or explain to me why my lasers seem to be only 20% as powerful as everyone else. I unload fully charged lasers into enemy TIEs and do zero damage while four hits on me with full shields kills me. Not fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, KingGuy420 said:

To be fair, the online competitive aspect of it was the main driving force behind making it. The campaign feels half assed because it most likely was lol.

EA didn't learn anything from their Battlefronts i see... ?

Edited by DeathNyx

20 hours ago, DeathNyx said:

EA didn't learn anything from their Battlefronts i see... ?

What were they supposed to learn though(aside from the lootbox/microtransaction fiasco)? Battlefronts were heavily MP based games, both of which sold really well , the first one sold well even without the SP aspect.  From their perspective the majority of their audience purchased the game to spend dozens to hundreds of hours on  their MP.

If anything they have learned that all they need to offer is a semi passable SP experience to support their base MP and they have a recipe for success.