PS4 Pro or not bother?

InfinityOnH1gh

I have a fairly cheap Xiaomi 4K TV. I've currently got an Xbox One S, which looks pretty nice outputting 1080p. Switching the console settings to output 4K looks noticeably worse.

My question is (and I know there probably isn't a simple answer): Will the PS4 Pro output 4K better than the One S? Or is it possible that my TV just isn't that great and can't handle 4K for some reason.

If there's any doubt, I'll just get the regular PS4.

Thanks!

There is always an advantage to the pro, whether it be the boost mode or the downscale mode from 4k. I picked one up when i still had 1080p and i never regretted it, as it truely bumps it up a notch.

That being said, you will always lose some fidelity by the quality of your tv, and if you are gonna invest 400 bucks in a nice console, maybe think of getting an affordable 4k tv to go with it. There are some good and cheap options out there, like from tcl, roku or philips.

If i had only 1 choice, i would rather have standard ps4 + 4k tv than pro + 1080p tv

Your tv really does make a difference, so choose wisely where you invest

• Like 1

From my personal experience, stay the hell away from the pro and this is me saying this as a pro owner, the noise it makes is absolutely disgusting and it's not even that noticeable from a normal PS4, i would highly recommend you to get the slim as that is the best one because personally for me if the PS5 wasn't coming this year, i would have sold my pro and bought a slim, i'm sick of it sounding like its taking off.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

From my personal experience, stay the hell away from the pro and this is me saying this as a pro owner, the noise it makes is absolutely disgusting and it's not even that noticeable from a normal PS4, i would highly recommend you to get the slim as that is the best one because personally for me if the PS5 wasn't coming this year, i would have sold my pro and bought a slim, i'm sick of it sounding like its taking off.

I believe to have read that newer revisions of the Pro console are more silent, so Infinity may want to look into that. I too have the jet engine version and this is quite annoying.

To enjoy 4k you have to be close enough to the TV, if it's too small or you are too far away, you will have difficulties noticing the difference at all

10 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I believe to have read that newer revisions of the Pro console are more silent, so Infinity may want to look into that. I too have the jet engine version and this is quite annoying.

It seems to be random chance. I hear a lot about other peoples PS4 Pros being loud, but my launch PS4 Pro is practically silent. It's even quieter than my launch PS4 was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcdfan said:

To enjoy 4k you have to be close enough to the TV, if it's too small or you are too far away, you will have difficulties noticing the difference at all

I did hear about that but you can't be too sure, the PS4 slim however is very good and has no noise to annoy you

On 10/20/2020 at 3:24 AM, InfinityOnH1gh said:

I have a fairly cheap Xiaomi 4K TV. I've currently got an Xbox One S, which looks pretty nice outputting 1080p. Switching the console settings to output 4K looks noticeably worse.

My question is (and I know there probably isn't a simple answer): Will the PS4 Pro output 4K better than the One S? Or is it possible that my TV just isn't that great and can't handle 4K for some reason.

Thanks!

The PS5 would be the best option now for obvious reason, so you should check into that before buying a ps4.

However if you want the ps4, definitely choose the Pro.

Xbox One S isn't made for 4k gaming, it basically outputs 4k for Netflix and Youtube mainly.

The Pro is much more powerful than the S, it renders natively on 4k for a few games (mainly sports and remasters), while getting decent graphics on 1440p upscaled to 4k which looks gorgeous on AAA games like RDR2, TLOU2, ...

You also have the performance mode for ps4 pro, where it runs many games on 60fps where the regular runs at laggy 30.

Recently I played Fall Guys on both my ps4 and the difference was huge. Destiny 2 is capped at 30 even on Pro, but it simply doesn't have major FPS dropdowns like on regular, where it's annoying.

11 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Seriously lol? Trading the better FPS performance, loadings and better graphics because of noise?

Yes, the Pro is a fucking jet, but who cares? Just give me those stable 60fps where I would get 30 on my FAT (which also has a turbine embedded)

11 minutes ago, EdinhoN said:

Seriously lol? Trading the better FPS performance, loadings and better graphics because of noise?

Yes, the Pro is a fucking jet, but who cares? Just give me those stable 60fps where I would get 30 on my FAT (which also has a turbine embedded)

It's not even 60fps on most games, it struggles and as for loading it is not improved, still takes ages to load games.

The noise is really loud and annoying, if i were you i'd just sell the current PS4 you have, add some more money on and buy a PS5 (if you're able to order one) much better choice than the pro.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/10/2020 at 11:24 PM, InfinityOnH1gh said:

Thanks!

also check your tv settings to make sure some kind of 4K or UHD or HDR setting is listed. If not, then your tv is crap. 

google Rtings and your tv, calibrate it for gaming.