3D Pulse Headset (PS4 use Thoughts)

Skurkitty

I’m unsure if any others have received theirs but Sony shipped out my pre-ordered accessories today. I decided to try out the pulse headset on the PS4.

Before I start I want to say OBVIOUSLY my thoughts are subjective. I currently use Astro A40s (optical) but with no optical on PS5 they needed replacing.

Comfort:

When taking it out of the box the earcups looks rather small, however thankfully they fit snug over the ears completely. I’m someone who prefers a little bit open back as my ears get warm quickly... but this is personal preference. The cup cushions are thick and don’t put any pressure on the side of my head. The tension band on top however, is a rather thick rubber(?) base material with no padding. It isn’t very comfortable imo and I can see myself getting a headache easily during longer sessions.

Buttons:

I’m not used to having buttons directly on the headset but the layout is rather clean and after a few minutes of blindly hitting the wrong buttons I adjusted and it’s a more pleasing experience then reaching over to my mix amp to adjust things.

Mic:

Quality is standard, nothing special, isn’t awful. If you own one or play with a friend who owns one... it sounds literally the same as past Sony Gold/Platinum headset mics.

Audio:

Before I say this I understand the headset is built for the PS5 and it’s 3D audio, however it says it’s PS4 compatible on the box so I tried it.

Coming from Astros to this headset I was very disappointed, the Pulse headset lacks any form of bass or audio enhancing effects. On the PS4 it sounds like a stereo headset, you get positional audio and that’s it. It sounds exactly how my Astros would sound if I plugged them directly into the PS4 controller instead of using the mix amp.

I really hope the PS5 will give a better experience (I assume it will given it’s what these are made for). My concern lies in games that DON’T have PS5 3D audio supported... it COULD make some games sound really amazing and others like stereo.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 2

Thanks for your review, mine is on the way. I did the same with the gold headset back with the PS4 and loved them. Can't be worst than my last $30 headset, broke last month so just in time. Lasted 4 years, so not bad for a shit pair lol. Just hope the Pulse last longer too, I remember my gold broke in half after only 1 year... 

On 10/30/2020 at 9:14 PM, saiyanbloodstyle said:

So in your opinion it isn't worth the £90? Well so far anyway, i guess you'll have to do the true test on a PS5 game and you need to see how long it lasts before breaking down.

Honest answer? If you’re buying them for PS4 use. No. They’re not. But given this is THE headset for PS5 until other companies start producing headsets that support Sony’s 3D audio, you don’t really have much choice.

I can’t speak for the PS5 obviously, and that’s the selling point. I think 100$ for a headset is a rather cheap price point personally, given I’ve spent 200-300$+ for audio quality. I think if you’re buying a PS5 you may as well buy their headset as well.

...but don’t buy it for PS4 use. ?

7 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Honest answer? If you’re buying them for PS4 use. No. They’re not. But given this is THE headset for PS5 until other companies start producing headsets that support Sony’s 3D audio, you don’t really have much choice.

I can’t speak for the PS5 obviously, and that’s the selling point. I think 100$ for a headset is a rather cheap price point personally, given I’ve spent 200-300$+ for audio quality. I think if you’re buying a PS5 you may as well buy their headset as well.

...but don’t buy it for PS4 use. ?

Every headset will support the 3D audio, as far as i know it's the console itself that does the 3D audio and not the headset 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, Di_Martins_2 said:

Every headset will support the 3D audio, as far as i know it's the console itself that does the 3D audio and not the headset 

It's a new form of technology and the gear has to be able to support it. For example, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, you have to have specific audio equipment to be able to take advantage of these specific technologies. For 7.1 virtual surround sound, you have to have a headset capable of simulating it.

On topic, I have the PS4 Platinum headset. I wasn't exactly blown away by it, and I felt a little underwhelmed with the bass quality, but I'm also used to better equipment (Corsair Void with extensive EQ fine-tuning and special mixing options). Knowing that going in, I just ordered the Pulse 3D since it will be the only one currently capable of attending the new audio technology of the PS5. I'm hoping it's not just a gimmicky marketing ploy like Sony pulled with the Platinum headset, wherein literally a handful of games took advantage of it.

4 hours ago, DeathlessVoid said:

It's a new form of technology and the gear has to be able to support it. For example, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, you have to have specific audio equipment to be able to take advantage of these specific technologies. For 7.1 virtual surround sound, you have to have a headset capable of simulating it.

from: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/06/experience-ps5s-tempest-3d-audiotech-with-compatible-headsets-at-launch-tv-virtual-surround-sound-coming-after-launch/
"On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack."

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, Di_Martins_2 said:

from: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/06/experience-ps5s-tempest-3d-audiotech-with-compatible-headsets-at-launch-tv-virtual-surround-sound-coming-after-launch/
"On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack."

Well, that's good to know then. Thanks!

My headset preorder got cancelled by the store I ordered from. Since this is the case, I'm just gonna go ahead and order the Corsair headphones I was going to get for my PC and use them on the PS5.

Edit: I will say though, it says this: "you’ll be able to enjoy the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech through your compatible headphones in many PS5 games."

We haven't been debriefed on what classifies as "compatible headphones".

Edited by DeathlessVoid