Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate Edition Fail

SeniorRicketts

Just now, nickr_ said:

I don't see the epic fail here. Lots of complete editions are just the base game on disc and download codes for the dlcs. Yeah, it sucks but there's not much we can do about it.

The ps4 version has 2 disks os you dont have to dowload anything 

Ps5 has 1 disk but its an UHD BD why couldnt the fit everything on it ?

Game is only 80 GB UHD BDs have 100 GB

This isn't a 'fail' at all. The game is going to be mainly played online, so regardless of if the DLC was on disc or not, you'd probably connect to the internet and download the latest update - which, if it's not on the disc, contains all DLC as the codes are simply unlock codes at a few MB each.

I have the digital edition of both games so I don't know how the physical game works, but I imagine the version on the PS5 disc will be the same version (although a different version number) as the PS4 edition. Looking at the video, it appears you get the PS4/PS5 'ultimate' code in both editions, this is the cross-buy aspect that unlocks the Kombat pack 1 and 2, and Aftermath on your PSN account for the PS4 and PS5.

As such, I'd presume that even if the PS4 version installs all of these off the disk, so does the PS5 version, it just needs the authorisation code to enable them - which I would have thought the PS4 version would need as well. 

The only people I can see who will be upset with this are those looking to pick it up second hand and expect the DLC codes to be unused (as the ultimate upgrade is £39.99 on PSN), and people who (as the guy in the video said ) collect these games physically. But as I said, MK is mainly an online game, so you're gonna need an account, access to the internet, and the latest update, to actually play it online. Therefore, I can't see this as being a 'fail'.

• Like 1

If it's all on disc and locked behind a code, it's a FAIL. If you don't think so, you companies control you. Also, while a lot of people play online...this game has  very, very robust SP offerings. For trophies, I believe only 2 require multiple players, with only another 2 needing an online connection (I could be wrong, but the trophies ARE dominantly SP)

• Like 3

Dang. I was hoping to pick up a physical copy of the PS5 version eventually. I hate that all the DLC is locked behind a code. Makes me wonder if they will release a physical copy of the base game on PS5 (with no codes)? That would probably be the better option to buy, especially if you already own Kombat Pack 1, 2, and Aftermath on your account. While it isn't necessarily a "fail," because the game is gonna sell regardless, people like me who like to collect games physically get shafted hard. This is why I'm never a fan of multiple editions of the same game being released. I can obviously understand having the base game and then a "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" edition like Fallout 4, but games like Street Fighter 5 and now Mortal Kombat 11 are just pushing it too far. Yes, I definitely like new content continuously added to the game, but I'm tired of seeing the same game I own being repeatedly rereleased which I feel defeats the purpose of owning the game originally.

Granted, this really only affects people who like collecting physical copies like me, and we are not the majority of the people who buy the products, regardless of being physical or digital. I'll sit my sad little self in my corner with my physical copies of the base game of MK11 and SF5 and cry in inferiority now ?

I have an issue with my Kombat pack 2 on PS5 - it is not available for free download and requires additional payment. 

Kombat pack2 is working fine for me on PS4. Did any of you face this problem? 

What do you think shall i buy it again and request a refund or shall i contact support first? 

I do not want to wait too long for my Mileena. 

All my other DLC content is working fine. 

Because sony treats the PS4 and the PS5 versions as  completely different games when they are not and it allows companies to pull garbage like this. 

An example would be elder scrolls oblivion. It''s playable on PS3 because its a PS3 game. I can't play it on the PS4 or the PS5. 

On XBOX  Oblivion is just considerd "a game" and can be played on the 360 , one x and series x, one s and it's like this for pretty much every game.

That is why PlayStation handles its generations sloppily and its the only seriously lacking thing about PlayStation right now in my mind. If they just treated games as a true upgrade and not a totally different game companies wouldn't be given the ability to fuck it up like the example given in this post.

Edited by Dan-lives-here
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 10:05 AM, Dan-lives-here said:

Because sony treats the PS4 and the PS5 versions as  completely different games when they are not and it allows companies to pull garbage like this. 

An example would be elder scrolls oblivion. It''s playable on PS3 because its a PS3 game. I can't play it on the PS4 or the PS5. 

On XBOX  Oblivion is just considerd "a game" and can be played on the 360 , one x and series x, one s and it's like this for pretty much every game.

That is why PlayStation handles its generations sloppily and its the only seriously lacking thing about PlayStation right now in my mind. If they just treated games as a true upgrade and not a totally different game companies wouldn't be given the ability to fuck it up like the example given in this post.

While it was Sony's fault, the PS3 itself was an abomination of a console hardware-wise. Still a good console with great games, but a foul thing under the hood all the same.

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible with the PS3 because of this reason in order to remedy the problem, and the difference in the architecture between the two as a result.

Funny how a majority of posts you've made lately are blatant and obvious Xbox fanboying, even when a lot of it is either partial truths or outright lies. :/

(The fanboying wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for that, not to mention you're whining about games that aren't even made by Sony and thus not up to them)

Edited by Zephrese

Someone doesn't get the definition of the word 'fail'.  Everything is included and works as it should.  The only reason to get pissed is because you lose value reselling the game.  That's hardly the game's fault.

Yeah it sucks that not everything is directly accessible completely offline, but that hasn't really happened to any game in the last 10 years.  Singling out this game due to it is hardly appropriate.