Is This Normal?

nolanexpress08

Hey guys, so I very much enjoy trophy hunting. As much as everyone else on this site. I earned my first platinum over 4 years ago and I haven't stopped since. But something kept nagging me when looking at my list. All of the 1% games that I would never do and especially all of the unobtainable ones. It bothered me so much that last month I started a new account just for trophy hunting. So my completion would be 100% for every game. Did anyone else do this? This might be part of my recent diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Let me know what you think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This is a classic symptom of trophy hunting OCD. I know a lot of people who have done this but I cured my own addiction before it reached this extreme level.

I don't have an addiction to trophies (thank god) But I think I did that because I have actual OCD, which sucks.

My opinion, gaming is all about the accomplishment of beating a challenge.  Defeat opponents, gather treasures, make it to the end.  If challenge is meaningless, then just watch a movie. 

People measure accomplishment differently.  The only people who are wrong are the ones who succumb to unhealthy temptations.  Find a sustainable habit that works for you. 

If a 100% account satisfies some unscratchable itch, then it seems perfectly appropriate.  Gaming should be an enjoyable way to relax, not a source of stress.

Edited by pogo_loco

When it comes to trophies, there's no such thing as normal. Every person is different. Some go for plats, others for the total. Some, like yourself, go for 100% and others don't care about them at all. I'll generally aim to get as many trophies in a game as possible but I'll couple that with having fun with the game. I'd rather get 50% on a game I enjoy playing than 100% on a game I don't like. That's me though.

What matters most is what they mean to you. If getting 100% in a game and having all 100% on your list makes you feel better and is better for your mental health, then that's fine. Just because it's not how someone else would do it doesn't make it wrong or not normal.

Point is - play it your way.

• Like 2