How long does the online take?

AJ_Radio

Starting in 2021, I will try to my utmost ability to get all the online done for Red Dead Redemption, including the dreaded Pa Poker Ace trophy, and once that's finished, I will purchase Red Dead Redemption 2.

From what everyone has told me in two years, this game is comparable to Grand Theft Auto V in terms of length and the amount of work you have to put in. It's a beautiful game with fantastic visuals and an engaging story, but the platinum journey is not a fun one. This may be a game I will put on hold for a good while so the grind and amount of time won't feel so cumbersome.

Because of stuff like Mad Max, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and virtually every old PS3 game that is liable to have their online shut down at any time, I will do the online first, because if any problems arise in the future I won't have to worry about online trophies being potentially unobtainable. With how popular Red Dead Redemption 2 is, I assume you can get the online done completely on your own if you put in the time. However because many people have said the online is boring and not very good, I think it would be best to boost the online trophies with other people, assuming everything goes smoothly.

So does the online take very long? I was sort of taken back on Grand Theft Auto V, missed my opportunity to transfer my online character so I have to do everything from scratch. I don't know how RDR2 compares, since most Rockstar Games titles require a lot of work and dedication to earn their platinum trophies.

• Like 2

I actually didn't mind the online grind for RDR2.  I though the single player grind was waaaayyyy worse.  There are battle modes in the online that I enjoyed.  I just played those casually and got to level 50 pretty quick.  While the rest of the online is pretty boring, it's in no way as troublesome as the first RDR online was.

• Like 2

With regards to RDR2 at least, there are only a few trophies (Strength in Numbers, Posse Up, All's Fair and The Real Deal) which require other players, but they're all pretty easy to do.  For The Real Deal, just play the Hostile Takeover mode and camp at one of the 5 capture areas for the entirety of the match.  Most players are more concerned with scoring kills than with actually capturing the areas, so just hide behind a wall and only shoot at an enemy if they get too close to you.

You can rank up to level 50 (and further if you wish) almost entirely solo - just activate the Trader and Collector roles and farm their missions/collectibles repeatedly.  They do get boring after a while, but it's a fairly quick and very easy way to level up and earn cash and gold.  Pretty much every other MP trophy will come naturally as you progress toward rank 50.

• Like 2

A lot has changed so you can’t just take “long and boring” at face value. You don’t know when people played it and it’s constantly changing. Since professions were added, levelling has become a lot more fun and varied. The jobs are a ton of fun to play imo.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about with the servers shutting down though. It’s still being actively supported and RDR1 is still up for crap sakes lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 0:14 AM, KingGuy420 said:

A lot has changed so you can’t just take “long and boring” at face value. You don’t know when people played it and it’s constantly changing. Since professions were added, levelling has become a lot more fun and varied. The jobs are a ton of fun to play imo.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about with the servers shutting down though. It’s still being actively supported and RDR1 is still up for crap sakes lol.

I'm working on finally earning all the trophies in Red Dead Redemption as I'm typing this so this is good to hear.

Rockstar changed the way you replay story missions for the gold medals. I can't speak for the online since I don't know nearly as much about it as I do for the single player (watched a lot of YouTube and Twitch for RDR2 single player, don't judge).

I hope it's not having to assemble a bunch of people like I had to do with Posse Up.

On 12/31/2020 at 0:48 AM, Spaz said:

Starting in 2021, I will try to my utmost ability to get all the online done for Red Dead Redemption, including the dreaded Pa Poker Ace trophy, and once that's finished, I will purchase Red Dead Redemption 2.

From what everyone has told me in two years, this game is comparable to Grand Theft Auto V in terms of length and the amount of work you have to put in. It's a beautiful game with fantastic visuals and an engaging story, but the platinum journey is not a fun one. This may be a game I will put on hold for a good while so the grind and amount of time won't feel so cumbersome.

Because of stuff like Mad Max, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and virtually every old PS3 game that is liable to have their online shut down at any time, I will do the online first, because if any problems arise in the future I won't have to worry about online trophies being potentially unobtainable. With how popular Red Dead Redemption 2 is, I assume you can get the online done completely on your own if you put in the time. However because many people have said the online is boring and not very good, I think it would be best to boost the online trophies with other people, assuming everything goes smoothly.

So does the online take very long? I was sort of taken back on Grand Theft Auto V, missed my opportunity to transfer my online character so I have to do everything from scratch. I don't know how RDR2 compares, since most Rockstar Games titles require a lot of work and dedication to earn their platinum trophies.

I have just done it, 42 hours with most of the experience coming from the collector role, if you use other ways to get exp, maybe 50-60-70 hours.