Suggestion: Add a different VR tag / color for VR optional games instead of removing the VR tag completely

Btw, if something like this were implemented, I don't think it'd take long to catch everything up with the optional VR tag. I know there's a pretty dedicated group of VR players on here and discord who could help me catch this up pretty quickly.

I support this idea as I think more information would be more helpful than hurtful in this situation. We would just need to make sure it's obvious to the trained eye what the tag means when you look at it. It'd probably need to say "VR optional", but I think having it in a different color would help set it apart so it doesn't confuse others on a first glance too.

Whether they should count on the VR leaderboards is another discussion entirely, but that would ultimately be at Sly's discretion if something like this would be implemented.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Helyx said:

Shit man, I'm waiting for different color tags for PS5 like I suggested 3+ months ago.

Well, I have high hopes for this as it directly affects the leaderboards, at least PS5 games are all tagged in the way they don't affect the leaderboards. I know VR has a small community here but I love it so it'd help us lot out 

I've been wanting to ask about this as well. I really didn't appreciate Kowloons Gate VR Suzaku loosing the VR tag just because they patched in a flat mode later on down the track. Stuff like that should absolutely be counted. I also just purchased "Good Dog, Bad Dog" which is listed as a PSVR game on the psn store & nothing else. No tag for that either for a similar reason. 

Something like Concrete Genie with the one vr trophy might be questionable. I wonder about this Densha De Go game I'm playing at the moment as well. It has a VR mode that I'm pretty sure contributes to a few trophies but you can do the whole thing without it. 

I really like the fact VR leaderboards are a thing now in any case. I feel that's the most legit leaderboard around right now. There are lots of lovely barriers of entry: financial, spatial, physical, peripheral etc. It's possible to play naturally & get a decent rank just due to having enthusiasm for the format. Love it to bits. 

I never see people with VR sets complain about modern gaming. For me it made the generation so much more exciting. Let's get that leaderboard as perfect as it can be ay?

• Like 2

On 2021-01-06 at 6:06 PM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

1.) I've been wanting to ask about this as well. I really didn't appreciate Kowloons Gate VR Suzaku loosing the VR tag just because they patched in a flat mode later on down the track. Stuff like that should absolutely be counted. I also just purchased "Good Dog, Bad Dog" which is listed as a PSVR game on the psn store & nothing else. No tag for that either for a similar reason. 

2.) Something like Concrete Genie with the one vr trophy might be questionable. I wonder about this Densha De Go game I'm playing at the moment as well. It has a VR mode that I'm pretty sure contributes to a few trophies but you can do the whole thing without it. 

3.) I really like the fact VR leaderboards are a thing now in any case. I feel that's the most legit leaderboard around right now. There are lots of lovely barriers of entry: financial, spatial, physical, peripheral etc. It's possible to play naturally & get a decent rank just due to having enthusiasm for the format. Love it to bits. 

1.) Exactly! That's what this suggestion is for, just need enough traction for it to get Sly's attention. Adding a VR option months after release shouldn't take it off the leaderboards. For "Good Dog, Bad Dog", you'll need to visit the "update a trophy list" thread and ask it to be added. 

2.) I agree, Concrete Genie would and should not count. It would have to be the full game playable in VR and all trophies unlockable in VR.

3.) Me too! I don't know when they were implemented but it has heightened my love for VR, as if it wasn't neat enough already :)

NOTE: We've also got a perfect example coming up with the release of a AAA game in Hitman III and the previously released Star Wars: Squadrons 

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/12136-hitman-3

The whole game is playable in VR, along with I and II. IO Interactive fell in love with VR while playing Firewall and added VR to all the games. It would be a disservice to not have it tagged properly and show it is compatible with VR.  

Edited by MikeCheck--

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping. Hopefully, Slyripper will consider this. It is a very easy change to implement.

I also saw your reply in another thread @Beyondthegrave19 about how people who don’t own VR would still be accounted for on the leaderboards for games like “squadrons, RE7 and Hitman III.” The thing is though that there aren’t too many games that are VR and flat so they wouldn’t even rank high on the leaderboards anyways. 

It affects them in no negative way but affects us VR trophy hunters negatively. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 0:19 PM, MikeCheck-- said:

it affects them in no negative way, but affects us VR trophy hunters negatively. 

Definitely agree and would support this! VR trophy hunting has been a blast, and can’t seem to find the logic of having a tag removed from some of the games. Some games have got flat support as well, but I still see a VR tag. 18 Floors is an odd one where the EU version is VR but the US is missing the tag?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Going to close this thread . . . Seeing as VR is an added “peripheral” this will never be updated. Sony stated that the next gen of VR will be featuring a lot of hybrid games which are playable in VR and flat. Under the current rules, VR trophy hunting will be phased out due to this eventually. A “VR opt” tag will not happen. 

There will still be some PSVR 2 only games but to maximize audience and profit I assume most games will be hybrid. 

Think of cross play Vita / PS4 games. If a game is playable on the Vita, why is it even tagged Vita and not just PS4? If it’s playable on the Vita and PS4, remove the Vita tag. Why is the VR tag different if a game is playable on VR and PS4?! That’s what I don’t understand. You earn a trophy on the vita, it accounts for the PS4 version also but it’s still tagged vita, no matter if youI earn trophies on PS4 or Vita.  I guess VR is too niche as it works the same way. At least some games that add flat mode to VR games make a new FLAT trophy list (Immortal Legacy, Volume) 

Think of how many games you’d never know were cross playable on the vita if there wasn’t a vita tag. There should be a VR tag applied to games playable in flat and VR. End note: it’ll never happen for whatever reason. Mods should just make the change, Sly obviously wouldn’t care enough to notice and VR trophy hunting will fade into obscurity but it has been fun while it’s lasted. 

I can understand it from the sites POV however. Vita and PS4 are both FLAT. If the tag changes then people who don’t own a VR will count towards the VR leaderboard, and those at the top of VR leaderboards can boost their position by playing games flat. However I think having a VR tag on hybrid games would help more than hurt! 

FINAL FINAL NOTE; I’m happy with this choice I guess, let’s me limit the backlog but it’s annoying when a dev launches as VR only, people get the plat and then flat is added and tag removed 

Edited by MikeCheck--