IMPOSING/TOWERING PLATINUM?

Puppeter04

19 hours ago, Quink666 said:

For me it was Dead Space 2. I practised so much for the hardcore run. I really wanted to get the platinum. It was all I was thinking about for a few days and the day before I am about to start my run I realise that I can use a power node glitch to make it significantly easier. Just like that almost all nervousness disappeared. 

The Eye Poke Machine was hectic. I was going to try making a save just after it, but my nerves resulted in a death so I ended up saving a bit earlier.

Then there’s the bit where the credits start rolling, but you still have to glide over to the ship which means you can die from debris. 

Lots of deaths, but Hardcore was thrilling from start to finish. Loved every second of it.

• Like 1

One I’m currently chipping away at is Max Payne 3. Over the course of a couple months I did 5 playthroughs and spent countless hours with a boosting group clearing almost all of the online and DLC trophies. I’m at the point now when my only remaining trophies are NYMHC (beating the whole game without dying once), and grinding to level 50 in the multiplayer (a soulless, nightmare of a grind where you play the same 3 minute story chapter over and over and over again for about 35 hours).

I absolutely love the game, but I’ve taken a bit of a break and veered off into working on other games for the last month and a bit. But every day I look at Max Payne sitting there unfinished on my trophy list and I feel intimidated and scared. I go to sleep at night in the fetal position while sucking my thumb in dread and terror, especially of getting back to that level 50 grind, it’s like a fucking Dementor from Harry Potter just hovering there waiting to consume my soul and I’m not looking forward to it lol. At least the other trophy will be fun!

If that’s not a towering platinum idk what is. ? but I’ve got to go back and conquer that tower very soon, before enough time passes that I start getting rusty.

• Like 3

For me, the Cold Steel games and The Witcher 3 make that list. I know I will enjoy them so much, and yes I know I can simply play and enjoy the game and be done with it. But I know I will enjoy them to the point where I want to platinum them, and I know witcher is a big scale game, and there's a lot of missable things in the cold steel games, I've just kept putting them off and then my anxiety would build up as the 4th installment was nearing. But ive made it a goal this year to challenge myself a bit more when it comes to my platinums, and cut down on the number of them and focus on bigger games. So if I can get at least one Cold Steel game or Witcher 3 done, I'd feel pretty happy about it. 

• Like 1

Mostly MP trophies where coordination and cooperation are vital to their achievement. I'm ok with stuff like deathmatch, but if I've got to mic up my nerves just get to me and I usually blow it for the team. The Payday games are a prime example.

Edited by Sofa King

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

The Eye Poke Machine was hectic. I was going to try making a save just after it, but my nerves resulted in a death so I ended up saving a bit earlier.

Then there’s the bit where the credits start rolling, but you still have to glide over to the ship which means you can die from debris. 

Lots of deaths, but Hardcore was thrilling from start to finish. Loved every second of it.

I’ve never had the pleasure of playing Dead Space but I’ve always heard people rave about how cool it is. Then a few days ago I stumbled across this guy on YouTube named Adam McDermott who has a “Platinum Journey” series with an episode on Dead Space 1 & 2. They’re both excellent, highly entertaining videos showing the process of trying to platinum these games, and what a wild ride Dead Space 2 can be. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and now I’m like totally obsessed with trying to hunt down copies of the trilogy so I can play them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I’ve never had the pleasure of playing Dead Space but I’ve always heard people rave about how cool it is. Then a few days ago I stumbled across this guy on YouTube named Adam McDermott who has a “Platinum Journey” series with an episode on Dead Space 1 & 2. They’re both excellent, highly entertaining videos showing the process of trying to platinum these games, and what a wild ride Dead Space 2 can be. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and now I’m like totally obsessed with trying to hunt down copies of the trilogy so I can play them.

Those soulless mp grinds can take there toll - had to do that for the Tomb Raider reboot. 

As for Dead Space, after putting it off for years because I was a scaredy cat, I got it from my local library (they have more than books, who knew lol) and loved it. Scared me good but it was good time. Never got around to the sequels and sadly my Blu-ray player in my PS3 died a few weeks back so I pray for a trilogy remake...

Side note, liking the new avatar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I definitely suggest doing Hardcore FIRST in Dead Space 2 before you tackle NYMHC in Max Payne 3. You may think "These are two different games in two different genres, why play one before the other?", that is because both Hardcore and NYMHC have little chances for you to make mistakes. Of course in NYMHC, one death means all the way back to the beginning.

I'm not a horror guy, but Dead Space 1 and 2 were both great. Hardcore is a good training ground for more difficult tasks. You have three saves, so if you're willing, I definitely follow what Adam McDermott did. He made a save at Chapter 5 for his first one if I recall correctly, which isn't bad, though if you were truly daring, you could make a first save in Chapter 7 just before you align the satellites.

In Max Payne 3, you don't have that luxury. It's pure skill and determination, no save files at all. It's debatable whether Max Payne 3 or Wolfenstein 2 is more difficult.

I definitely don't want to do the multiplayer in Max Payne 3, so sadly I'll probably never get around to playing it.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

Those soulless mp grinds can take there toll - had to do that for the Tomb Raider reboot. 

As for Dead Space, after putting it off for years because I was a scaredy cat, I got it from my local library (they have more than books, who knew lol) and loved it. Scared me good but it was good time. Never got around to the sequels and sadly my Blu-ray player in my PS3 died a few weeks back so I pray for a trilogy remake...

Side note, liking the new avatar.

Thanks! I remember doing that Tomb Raider grind too man. It’s not nearly as long as some of the ones, but it’s by far one of the worst. I’m assuming you did the same method of running medkits back and forth between 2 circles for 20+ hours? Talk about totally mind numbing... Lol. The things we do for trophies. ?‍♂️

I see you’ve also caught on to the apparently little-known secret that libraries these days are stocking tons of games! I discovered this awhile back and I’ve probably borrowed a good 20 games from them so far. I’m currently playing one of their copies of Ghost of Tsushima, and they just notified me today that Mafia 1 remake is ready for pickup. 

As for Dead Space, I’m more eager than ever to play it now because I’ve just started getting into survival horror recently, which was a genre I had never really explored before. After finishing Resident Evil REmake a couple weeks ago, I went bananas and grabbed a bunch of RE games in the sale. Dead Space is supposed to be one of the crown jewels of this genre so I’m especially looking forward to checking it out and adding it to my collection.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

In Max Payne 3, you don't have that luxury. It's pure skill and determination, no save files at all. It's debatable whether Max Payne 3 or Wolfenstein 2 is more difficult.

Based on what I know, I’m pretty certain Wolfenstein 2 is quite a bit tougher. NYMHC mode is at least set to normal difficulty (if it was hardcore this trophy would be like 100x harder) and the clock counting down becomes a non-issue after the first 5 or 6 chapters.

Although, to be fair there is some stupid shit that adds to the difficulty, such as the game being highly prone to crashes and freezes. Reading through the failures thread makes it pretty clear this happens to almost everyone at least once or twice.

I’ve had the game freeze on me twice during my regular playthroughs thus far, so I’m really worried about this happening again. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild

21 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thanks! I remember doing that Tomb Raider grind too man. It’s not nearly as long as some of the ones, but it’s by far one of the worst. I’m assuming you did the same method of running medkits back and forth between 2 circles for 20+ hours? Talk about totally mind numbing... Lol. The things we do for trophies. ?‍♂️

I see you’ve also caught on to the apparently little-known secret that libraries these days are stocking tons of games! I discovered this awhile back and I’ve probably borrowed a good 20 games from them so far. I’m currently playing one of their copies of Ghost of Tsushima, and they just notified me today that Mafia 1 remake is ready for pickup. 

As for Dead Space, I’m more eager than ever to play it now because I’ve just started getting into survival horror recently, which was a genre I had never really explored before. After finishing Resident Evil REmake a couple weeks ago, I went bananas and grabbed a bunch of RE games in the sale. Dead Space is supposed to be one of the crown jewels of this genre so I’m especially looking forward to checking it out and adding it to my collection.

Based on what I know, I’m pretty certain Wolfenstein 2 is quite a bit tougher. NYMHC mode is at least set to normal difficulty (if it was hardcore this trophy would be like 100x harder) and the clock counting down becomes a non-issue after the first 5 or 6 chapters.

Although, to be fair there is some stupid shit that adds to the difficulty, such as the game being highly prone to crashes and freezes. Reading through the failures thread makes it pretty clear this happens to almost everyone at least once or twice.

I’ve had the game freeze on me twice during my regular playthroughs thus far, so I’m really worried about this happening again. 1f641.png

Right on the money, I rewatched the first  2 or 3 seasons of Scrubs on Netflix on my phone lugging those medkits around.

Yeah it's great if you need something new and are in a pinch financially but 1 week rentals can put you in a pinch trying to beat some games then waiting to get them back.

I have tried RE a few times but it hasn't clicked yet, maybe the shorter RE3 remake will tickle my fancy.

Good luck on NYMHC when you get around to it. 

12 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Right on the money, I rewatched the first  2 or 3 seasons of Scrubs on Netflix on my phone lugging those medkits around.

Yeah it's great if you need something new and are in a pinch financially but 1 week rentals can put you in a pinch trying to beat some games then waiting to get them back.

I have tried RE a few times but it hasn't clicked yet, maybe the shorter RE3 remake will tickle my fancy.

Good luck on NYMHC when you get around to it. 

Agreed, there is definitely some drawbacks to rentals as well. While I’ve saved a lot of money (especially on brand new games), it does suck having to rush through the sometimes. Ghost of Tsushima is a perfect example of a game that now that I’m playing it, I wish I would have bought it instead. It’s an amazing game and I would also have liked to do the NG+ and Legends/Raid trophies but I just won’t have the time to do them. I’ll definitely end up buying my own copy of this game down the road so I can play it again and finish the trophy list. Thanks. ?

• Like 1

I’m gonna go with a left field choice here and say farming simulator. It was between that and Batman Arkham knight. 

Arkham knight for the reason that my housemate started the game without telling me and when I noticed there was already a trophy achieved. Don’t get me wrong I love Batman and said games but this game is task I’m just not ready for yet.

The reason farming simulator edged it was because It was a lockdown 1.0 (uk) PS+ game. I thought why not, it’ll soak up some hours and it’s something different. But I don’t know much about farming and the game is daunting in that I can’t go into it with any previous experience, unlike Batman. 

I know there’s YouTube tutorials etc and it’s supposedly not too difficult but it’s just plain boring. Menus aren’t too helpful (my experience)

I’ll dig back into it someday I guess

• 3 months later...

Right now it is DOOM 2, specifically Nightmare Co-op, only trophy keeping me away from the platinum.

I have the download link for v 1.03 which I think bypasses the annoying Bethesda.net confirmation screen, and the game is locked at 20 - 30 FPS instead of the 60 FPS which makes a huge difference on Nightmare difficulty. Also, pause. On the current version you cannot pause while in Nightmare Co-op.

Since I'm not willing to pay money for Charles I'm going to have to activate the trial and try my best to finish the levels I got left in DOOM 2. Probably going to take at least two weeks to go thru these levels.

Nightmare Co-op in DOOM 2 makes Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II feel like a cakewalk.