Freezing issue

SavedByBlood1717

Im having issues with my ps5...I had it for about a week. I have a buzzing noise but i believe its "coil whine" and should not be an issue. Anyways i got the plat for astro and then started playing spider man remaster and the second day i played it i had a hard crash...then i went 5 days playing 3-4 hours a day with no issues but tonight i hard crashed twice about 4-5 hours apart. I have never crashed on the UI dashboard or had any issue starting games...also no external or rest mode is being used...what im more concerned about is if this sounds like a software or a hardware issue I need advice and was wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

If you’ve only had freezing and crashing so far in one specific game (and didn’t have any problems in another game you played), I would recommend trying a third game and see if the freezing and crashing is related to the game. Spider-man has been notorious for crashing so I wouldn’t look at its behavior as an indicator of your specific console. 

8 hours ago, DaivRules said:

If you’ve only had freezing and crashing so far in one specific game (and didn’t have any problems in another game you played), I would recommend trying a third game and see if the freezing and crashing is related to the game. Spider-man has been notorious for crashing so I wouldn’t look at its behavior as an indicator of your specific console. 

Ok is there a recommendation? Or one thats not well known for crashing or is it a guessing game?

12 minutes ago, SavedByBlood1717 said:

Ok is there a recommendation? Or one thats not well known for crashing or is it a guessing game?

Spider-Man (besides Cyberpunk 2077) are the only two that have been talked about being crash-heavy from what I've read. If you've got any of the PS5 Plus games, I'd give one of those a shot.

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Spider-Man (besides Cyberpunk 2077) are the only two that have been talked about being crash-heavy from what I've read. If you've got any of the PS5 Plus games, I'd give one of those a shot.

Ok thank you, i do have DMC 5 and Demon's Souls to try out also....i missed out on Bugsnax but ill grab Maneater and try it out. Played Spider-Man this morning for 5 hours with no crash hoping its just the game i dont feel like dealing with support lol

I think your PS5 is fine, it just needs more firmware updates, Sony have been slacking on them for a while now.

But on miles morales it froze the whole PS5 for me and i had to hold the power button to switch it off, that only happened once but been fine on other games so far, we just need to wait for the firmware updates as it's still new with many problems.

Regarding “coil whine” I’m not saying it doesn’t ever exist, but what I thought was coil whine was actually just an annoying noise caused by the machine’s slight vibration making the faceplates buzz. Guess the hook connection they use isn’t the best. To test that just gently press the faceplates together, the noise disappears for me, putting my mind at rest that it isn’t anything internally wrong.

I’ve never had a crash, but that sounds like a software issue.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

30 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Regarding “coil whine” I’m not saying it doesn’t ever exist, but what I thought was coil whine was actually just an annoying noise caused by the machine’s slight vibration making the faceplates buzz. Guess the hook connection they use isn’t the best. To test that just gently press the faceplates together, the noise disappears for me, putting my mind at rest that it isn’t anything internally wrong.

I’ve never had a crash, but that sounds like a software issue.

It's real, it's caused by one of the capacitors on the power supply

from one of the comments 

"The buzzing in a foil capacitor is down to electrostriction - which is movement of the insulating films caused by the electric field as it passes through the capacitor. It is harmless, apart from being annoying. If you wanted to reduce this buzz, you could replace your foil capacitor with one rated for a much higher voltage. A capacitor rated for a higher voltage will have thicker insulating films - which will need a higher force (voltage) to make them buzz. A higher rated film capacitor should, therefore, be quieter compared to a lower rated one capacitor under the same voltage conditions."

Edited by SnowxSakura

1 hour ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

I think your PS5 is fine, it just needs more firmware updates, Sony have been slacking on them for a while now.

But on miles morales it froze the whole PS5 for me and i had to hold the power button to switch it off, that only happened once but been fine on other games so far, we just need to wait for the firmware updates as it's still new with many problems.

It really needs updates pronto, It's currently so basic.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's real, it's caused by one of the capacitors on the power supply

from one of the comments 

"The buzzing in a foil capacitor is down to electrostriction - which is movement of the insulating films caused by the electric field as it passes through the capacitor. It is harmless, apart from being annoying. If you wanted to reduce this buzz, you could replace your foil capacitor with one rated for a much higher voltage. A capacitor rated for a higher voltage will have thicker insulating films - which will need a higher force (voltage) to make them buzz. A higher rated film capacitor should, therefore, be quieter compared to a lower rated one capacitor under the same voltage conditions."

I’ve seen the video. As I clearly said, I’m not necessarily saying it’s not real in some cases, but most people here a buzzing and automatically think it’s coil whine because they’ve never heard a buzzing at such a frequency from a console before, but there are other design issues that cause such sound. Also, there are lots of theories on the above video’s contents, but none of them explain why it is only a tiny number of consoles effected and not all.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1