What video and music formats does PS4 support?

tw34kfr34ky

I watch a lot downloaded shows on my ps3,so im wondering if i'll still be able to do this on the ps4.

I was hoping they would add more formats such as .flac or .mkv but

the only info i could find for now is that ps4 wont play mp3's or cd's so thats not a good sign. (source: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/30/playstation-4-the-ultimate-faq/ )

Anyone heard of any formats that are supported?

It will be an important factor for me in deciding if i want a ps4 or not,and when

Thanks

Edited by tw34kfr34ky

So, safe bet is MP4 container with h.264 and MP3 or AAC encoding will be supported because it's so ubiquitous that it'd be mad not to. If you're encoding yourself, this is easy, just slap stuff in one of Handbrake's presets and you're good to go. If you're downloading from... Places, then there's a good chance it'll be in h.264, I've not torrented any video in a long time but the general trend seems to be moving away from crap like DivX towards MP4 and h.264.

In other words, you'll probably be alright for formats, so long as you didn't feel like encoding all your videos in Cinepak or something dumb.

Edit: Unless Sony are feeling like colossal dickbag idiots, which given the lack of MP3 support seems the case. Because really, everyone wants to be forced into Sony's fucking Music Unlimited service. I wouldn't mind so much if any of the music I like, literally any of it had a chance of being on that service... Way to go, Sony, one step forwards, two steps back. <_<

Edited by Pie

So, safe bet is MP4 container with h.264 and MP3 or AAC encoding will be supported because it's so ubiquitous that it'd be mad not to. If you're encoding yourself, this is easy, just slap stuff in one of Handbrake's presets and you're good to go. If you're downloading from... Places, then there's a good chance it'll be in h.264, I've not torrented any video in a long time but the general trend seems to be moving away from crap like DivX towards MP4 and h.264.

In other words, you'll probably be alright for formats, so long as you didn't feel like encoding all your videos in Cinepak or something dumb.

Edit: Unless Sony are feeling like colossal dickbag idiots, which given the lack of MP3 support seems the case. Because really, everyone wants to be forced into Sony's fucking Music Unlimited service. I wouldn't mind so much if any of the music I like, literally any of it had a chance of being on that service... Way to go, Sony, one step forwards, two steps back. <_<

AFAIK the trend is moving towards the good but not very well supported (on consoles) Matroska (.mkv) format. Atleast for the high-resolution video. There are rippers who do good mp4 uploads, but most anime is in Matroska.

Also, .h265 is already in use as well. Not very well known, but available none the less.

(source: torrents & http://matroska.org/ & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska)

EDIT: Also, they might simply block .mp3 file playback and still support the codec in videos.

Oh yeah dvd's are supported after all.

But just noticed external hard drives arent supported.

I hope they mean in the same way as its with ps3,you can use it for video/music/pictures/saves but not to install games

I do as well. I'm sure you'll be able to because it would be ridiculous if you could connect an USB but couldn't connect an HDD

(source: (see the Ultimate FAQ: part about the update, you're able to download it from the web and update through an USB like on the PS3)

Edited by ElfenSky

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm you can watch movies via a usb stick or external drive?

Really wanna know this before i buy a ps4.

no media support whatsoever at this momment. That means you catch watch videos, music, or photos on a usb stick. There isn't even a section for them on the UI, like there was on the ps3's xmb. I have no clue what they were thinking by taking such a step backwards and unnecessarly removing these features on ps4, but Shuhei Yoshida has stated that they are working on putting these features on ps4 through a future software update.

To be honest, i personally don't see any reason to rush out to get the ps4 till the real titles come out next year with Infamous. By that time the UI will have been updates enough that it will far surpass the XMB hopefully and there will be a more stable ps network than there is currently. There just isn't any stellar launch titles out right now to justify purchasing it, since they obviously designed this console with nothing but gaming in mind.

no media support whatsoever at this momment. That means you catch watch videos, music, or photos on a usb stick. There isn't even a section for them on the UI, like there was on the ps3's xmb. I have no clue what they were thinking by taking such a step backwards and unnecessarly removing these features on ps4, but Shuhei Yoshida has stated that they are working on putting these features on ps4 through a future software update.

To be honest, i personally don't see any reason to rush out to get the ps4 till the real titles come out next year with Infamous. By that time the UI will have been updates enough that it will far surpass the XMB hopefully and there will be a more stable ps network than there is currently. There just isn't any stellar launch titles out right now to justify purchasing it, since they obviously designed this console with nothing but gaming in mind.

Thanks for letting me know.

This confirms theres no worthy reason for me to buy one right away.

They better make it possible in the future or im not getting one at all.

If i wasnt so addicted to trophies id be moving back to PC and hook that up to my to TV.

• 5 months later...

I've found the following article while browsing the web.

Think it says it's possible to convert video to PS4 playable format , not entirely sure what the PS4 H264 file extension would be but seems it is possible.

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/convert-mkv-m2ts-to-sony-ps4.htm

One can probably use a other program than winxdvd to convert to the proper format.