Confirmed: You will not be able to change your PSN ID on the PS4

Humonic

Here's the question asked in a Q and A with Sony - http://gyazo.com/6efd76c7ac472b2ccc5649175449413f

Here's the source - http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/30/playstation-4-the-ultimate-faq/

Yeah this is ridiculous in my opinion, they literally could have said, by the way now we're raising the price by $50 and we're delaying it by 2 months and I would have stuck with Sony.. but not allowing us to change our usernames is making me consider whether or not I actually want to stick with Sony for the next gen.

For me personally this is the worst news they could have gave me, I don't know If I want my current PSN ID for the next 7 years.. add the fact that they don't recirculate unused/inactive PSN ID's (they didn't on the ps3 at least) soon everyone who makes a new PSN ID will have to use numbers on the end.

In my opinion, they've messed up big time and I'm really disappointed.

(Sorry if this is post already, if it is, I completely missed it. I posted this to spread the news, I don't need 10 self appointed forum police officers, telling me how annoyed they are that I made a duplicate thread, whilst they spam with the same post over and over telling me this is already a thread. Thank you.)   :)

Edited by Humonic

I don't really care because i like my name but there will be lots of people disappointed about this...People like xXxXTrikshotzXxXx

My younger brother is 12 he's a fan of Lobo.. his PSN username is LOBOtheUNDEAD I don't know if he'll like that name when he's 19, if the PS4 really plans to stay for the next 7 years I'd say the ability to change your usernames should be a given.. but it's not even a thing. 

• Like 1

I really would like to change mine to something else. This one just isn't creative and I was being stupid when I made it. That and everyone online spends five minutes trying to pronounce it correctly. C'mon Sony, you got all the good deals with PS+ and everything else, at least let us change the name, even if it's for a price at $1 or $5.

Edited by omegarevan

Because of this, I had to create a second psn which is what im using now. My old one was 'epelepsy' which I made when I was 12. Had it for about a year until I realised what it meant and that I spelled it incorrectly lol. I created this one 13th birthday using the word marvel because im a huge fan, and the rest for other reasons

No big deal in my opinion.  It's only a name and if you've been stupid enough to not think ahead then you've made your bed, now lie in it.  I can see how some people would like to change 'gay' names but as I say, you should have thought of that before creating it.

• Like 2

This is not a huge deal and is really a minor detail that with enough petitioning you could coax Sony into making a difference. I never plan on changing my name, as for those with snarky, sarcastic, foul or childish names I can see where you would want this option implemented but should have thought about the username before you created it.. Can I stick with this for the long run? Better see if I can change it! Otherwise start another account and keep that completion rate at 100%  B)

i've been gamin as DARKSCORPONOXR online for nearly 15 years so im not fussed, altho i made a typo and it was meant to be darkscorponok® like the rare action figure but i stuck with it doin youtube guides etc... guess you just gotta make sure that the alias you choose is the one you really want and are happy with... but havin the option to change it would be nice, would not havin the option make me want boycott sony and not buy the ps4?... not really, it is only a gamer tag afterall

the few things i wanted are trophy deletion for the games i wont return to and the online trophies bein seperated from the overall platinum run in future games/ps4 games like the way dlc trophies are seperated... online trophies are tedious grrr lol

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say, people go through phase's in their life, sometimes they go from loving rock music to loving rap music.. and that person is stuck with John182, because 5 years ago they loved Blink 182 and now a couldn't care less about Blink 182

what he typed is true and alot of gamers would agree... im guessin you're gamer tag was blink182fan as i saw that floatin around gamer forums a few years ago...

all in all its a gamer tag and common sense dictates that choosin a name you know you will be happy with for the next 6 years... if you are a younger gamer here are a few tips...

- dont choose your current fave band as a gamertag as they will be uncool in a years time from now

- dont choose cartoons/anime either

- dont try to seem tough, sarcastic or racist and choose an obnoxious gamertag as you will get burned in forums aswell as shown for what you are

- dont use your current gf/bf's name as a gamertag as its quite possible you may not be with them later on

- dont use your real name, house number, street name etc as you could have sex pests or angry gamers turn up with candy/pitchforks at your house

- dont use your favourite sports team's name as they could go on a 5 year run of defeats

- and finally dont choose a transformer as your gamin alias like me... its sad

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

i've been gamin as DARKSCORPONOXR online for nearly 15 years so im not fussed, altho i made a typo and it was meant to be darkscorponok® like the rare action figure but i stuck with it doin youtube guides etc... guess you just gotta make sure that the alias you choose is the one you really want and are happy with... but havin the option to change it would be nice, would not havin the option make me want boycott sony and not buy the ps4?... not really, it is only a gamer tag afterall

the few things i wanted are trophy deletion for the games i wont return to and the online trophies bein seperated from the overall platinum run in future games/ps4 games like the way dlc trophies are seperated... online trophies are tedious grrr lol

what he typed is true and alot of gamers would agree... im guessin you're gamer tag was blink182fan as i saw that floatin around gamer forums a few years ago...

all in all its a gamer tag and common sense dictates that choosin a name you know you will be happy with for the next 6 years... if you are a younger gamer here are a few tips...

- dont choose your current fave band as a gamertag as they will be uncool in a years time from now

- dont choose cartoons/anime either

- dont try to seem tough, sarcastic or racist and choose an obnoxious gamertag as you will get burned in forums aswell as shown for what you are

- dont use your current gf/bf's name as a gamertag as its quite possible you may not be with them later on

- dont use your real name, house number, street name etc as you could have sex pests or angry gamers turn up with candy/pitchforks at your house

- dont use your favourite sports team's name as they could go on a 5 year run of defeats

- and finally dont choose a transformer as your gamin alias like me... its sad

Haha good points dude. ;) And no actually I wasn't that 182 guy, I've just seen a couple people with 182 in their names ect ;P

No big deal in my opinion.  It's only a name and if you've been stupid enough to not think ahead then you've made your bed, now lie in it.  I can see how some people would like to change 'gay' names but as I say, you should have thought of that before creating it.

It's easy to say that right now but back when we first got our PS3s we didn't even care for the name and just wanted to play games. I know I didn't care and just made up a random account. Then when I started getting involved with people online in MP games and trophy hunting I began to regret it because of how terrible it is.

I'd be willing to pay a fee just to change it. I might just start a whole new account when the PS4 releases.

It's easy to say that right now but back when we first got our PS3s we didn't even care for the name and just wanted to play games. I know I didn't care and just made up a random account. Then when I started getting involved with people online in MP games and trophy hunting I began to regret it because of how terrible it is.

I'd be willing to pay a fee just to change it. I might just start a whole new account when the PS4 releases.

You're only 6 platinums in :) I had an old account, I had 10 platinums on it and I wanted to change my name, I restarted in the end and I thought 10 would be hard to catch up too, 4 months down the line and I have 8, I got 6 in two months and got skyrim and GTA V in the other 2 months, you could literally get 10 platinums in a month if you chose the right games.

This is assuming you care about platinums of course, maybe you don't, but trust me 10 wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, 6 won't be either. ;)

So if you really do not like your name and you want to change it, it's best to do it now, then a year or two down the line, you can get 6 plats back in the next couple of months. 

By the way your name isn't bad at all. ;P

Edited by Humonic
  • Like 1