Fishing tips?

Annoyingtiger888

I checked and the last thread about fishing, that I could find, was from 2016. I normally love fishing in games but in SV it's so feckin' frustrating to me >~<) Are there any tips, tricks, ANYTHING that you can offer me to help with the fishing? I can't seem to keep the bar in line with the fish at all and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, if I suck, or if it's the game. Any help appreciated, thank you very much!

13 minutes ago, Annoyingtiger888 said:

I checked and the last thread about fishing, that I could find, was from 2016. I normally love fishing in games but in SV it's so feckin' frustrating to me >~<) Are there any tips, tricks, ANYTHING that you can offer me to help with the fishing? I can't seem to keep the bar in line with the fish at all and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, if I suck, or if it's the game. Any help appreciated, thank you very much!

I dont have the plat but i did get a good grasp on fishing before i gave up. 

It takes a lil' while to get used to fishing in this game. Its probably slightly harder a fishing minigame than its peers. 

The big 2 rules are PATIENCE and PRACTICE.

(I know thats not much help but it does help being patient, just like in real life fishing!)

Edited by punkshepherd

6 minutes ago, punkshepherd said:

I dont have the plat but i did get a good grasp on fishing before i gave up. 

It takes a lil' while to get used to fishing in this game. Its probably slightly harder a fishing minigame than its peers. 

The big 2 rules are PATIENCE and PRACTICE.

(I know thats not much help but it does help being patient, just like in real life fishing!)

Yeeaahhh I figured it would be an answer like that xD But I was hoping maybe there was a trick to it. Hmm, I'll just have to keep at it and hope for the best! Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, Annoyingtiger888 said:

Ooo I didn't know that! Do you get xp every time you fish or only if you catch something?

not every time you fish but how much you catch. another tip that may help you when fishing. dont hold down the x button and let go when its start going above the box. tap it to keep it where it needs to be. hope i explained that well enough for you. also be sure to have like trail mix bars on hand and save the seaweed. use  both of these to build your energy back up a bit and keep fishing longer itll help ya level up faster

Edited by funboy1246

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

You can use this method to get up a few levels if you're struggling with the low skill level

Cool, I'll give that a try. Thanks so much :D

30 minutes ago, funboy1246 said:

not every time you fish but how much you catch. another tip that may help you when fishing. dont hold down the x button and let go when its start going above the box. tap it to keep it where it needs to be. hope i explained that well enough for you. also be sure to have like trail mix bars on hand and save the seaweed. use  both of these to build your energy back up a bit and keep fishing longer itll help ya level up faster

Yeah, I'm still struggling to grasp the holding it down versus tapping it lol I always go way under or way over. I don't really use consumables unless I'm determined to reach a mine level, but I really should start doing that.

I recently got the master angler trophy. I honestly had a lot of trouble with fishing. I'm currently playing the game with another person who really got the handle of fishing early and was something they felt was easy, but i really struggled. 

I would say try and get your fishing skill up, by constantly catching the easier fish, get the iridium rod, trap or cork bobber, also eat the escargot (I think that's the name) or food that increases your fishing. Be patient fish like the legend and octopus can make very erratic moves they can go up and down on a dime, while it takes your bar like a second or so to gain momentum. What i learnt is that there are times these fish are not as erratic and tend to be more stable, if you can get an encounter like that, it's very easy to catch, especially if you have all the materials to buff your fishing. 

just a tip, some fish are only on specific weather types and seasons like "legend" who only comes out in spring and while it rains. Plan for this, go to your tv and make sure you know when it will rain, then get all your bait, bobbers and food ready. Even then getting a bite from the legend fish can take all day and you might not be successful. Just close out and start your day again so you don't have to wait for the next rainy day or worse for the next season to roll back. 

Also, i find that tapping in 1 second increments really help, hold if you want the bar to go up quick, but tap if you are close to the fish or want to keep the the bar stable, also not a good idea to allow your bar to drop to the bottom of the rod, if fish goes down and stays there,  the bar tends to bounce quite a bit if it hits the bottom of the rod, best to let the bar drop and tap to stabilize it. 

One last thing, try to concentrate on keeping up with the fish and not with the bar filling up, seriously it can be demoralizing when you are in the green and seeing  your bar turn orange to red and can cause you to panic and lose the fish. There were times where my bar was fluctuation from green to orange and close to red, but because i was more concentrated with keeping up with the fish at the end i was able to catch it. If you lose, ya lose, but if you panic cos your meter is low you will definitely lose. 

A lot to take in, for some like me it was hair pulling, for others it just clicks. But you will get there. 

It took me like a whole gaming session to get to grips with the fishing in the game and took me over 10-20 tries to catch the octopus, scorpion fish and legend. So that a good indication of how bad i was at fishing, but i got there in the end. :)

Edited by VaNiDgE

8 hours ago, Annoyingtiger888 said:

Yeeaahhh I figured it would be an answer like that xD But I was hoping maybe there was a trick to it. Hmm, I'll just have to keep at it and hope for the best! Thanks for the response.

The other advice is better than mine in this topic. I've learned some stuff too! I mean i probably wont be going back to the game, but.....knowledge!!!!

Knowledge is power

@VaNiDgE Thank you so much for the info! I'll do my best to apply your and everyone else's advice and work hard to be a master fisherman hehe ^-^)/ 

@punkshepherd It really is haha and who knows, maybe sometime in the distant future you'll just get the urge to play and now you have the knowledge to be a master fisherman, as well! And nah, your advice is also well appreciated because it is true. Even with all the other advice, you still just gotta be patient and keep trying to try and get used to the mechanics c:

• Like 1

@Annoyingtiger888

So, the fishing mini-game in this game is actually one of my favourite parts of Stardew valley.  I am usually level 9 or 10 before fall each time I start up a game.  Many tips have been mentioned already, but I will list a few bits of advice.

1 - When you are at the lower levels, there will be fish that you simply can't keep up with, as your bar will be too small and they move all over the place.  Don't worry about not catching every fish you come across.  Even at level 10, if I don't have a trapper bobber, there is still the odd fish I just fail on.

2 - You almost never want to hold the button.  There is a rhythm to this mini-game, and it is something that you want to get used to.  What you should practice early on is how quickly you need to tap it in order to keep the bar steady, and get used to how it moves around.  This is a difficult thing to just tell you, but once you play around with it, you should start to get a feeling for it.  Once you get better at that, you will find that you have much quicker and more accurate control to track a fish.  Once you start to get better at that, you can practice what is in my opinion the most difficult skill, slowing the bar enough on a drop to not make it bounce on the bottom when you don't want to.  Once again, all I can suggest is that you practice with tapping at different rhythms in order to get a feel for how it moves.

3 - I still have never eaten food for fishing, but there are several recipes that can temporarily boost your fishing level, helping you catch more fish.  As to what those are specifically, I am of no help :(.

4 - When you have the spare money, upgrading to the irridium rod and using trapper bobbers is a great help in catching the more difficult fish.  What it does is slows down the decay of the capture bar when you are not on the fish.

5 - A more advanced tip, for catching the more difficult fish.  It is not always helpful to keep the fish in the middle of your bar.  As your bar gets bigger, you want to try and keep the fish in different places depending on where it is.  If it is in the bottom half, you want to keep it closer to the bottom of your green bar under the expectation that it will dart up when it moves.  The opposite is true when it is closer to the top.  As you fish more and more, you will start to notice that fish have personalities, and you can often tell what you are trying to catch, based on how it moves.  That will also help you react to where you expect it to go. 

6 - As for my favourite locations to fish, I find that the mountain lake, and any of the rivers have a few easy fish you can use to boost your fishing level.  Ghost fish aren't too bad either (level 20 of the mines) and Carp are very easy (in the sewers).  Those could be good practice places for getting a feeling for how the mini-game controls.

7 - While I have no experience with this either, it has been mentioned earlier in the thread.  You can get crab pots, and make bait (or buy it) without ever having to fish.  could get you a few levels under your belt so you can start practicing with a bigger bar.

I know the answer of patience and practice isn't the best, but this game really does take some getting used to.  If it is at all interesting to you (as it was and still is for me) putting in the time will show you results, and eventually you will be catching those legendary fish on your first try.