PS5 "Other" storage/space usage

Infected Elite

i looked and did not see a thread on this, if I'm wrong we can lock this thread..

I've been seeing some posts on reddit of people panicking that the "other storage" on the console is over 200gb or more, leaving them with less than 400gb free depending on what games they have installed. I did see one person saying they had no external drive and had 517GB in other. which makes zero sense to me

Now, i am curious what everybody's "other storage" is. 

I do not play any ps4 games on my ps5 except i have installed Cyberpunk 2077, just cause it runs less shit than if i installed on my ps4 pro, but all ps4 games are played on my ps4, unless its one of those free upgrade deals, then yeah i have ps4 Yakuza 7 disc in but its the ps5 upgrade version. I won't be playing the Ps4 version.

Anyways here is my ps5 currently:

Games installed (5):

Nioh Remastered (11GB)

Monster Hunter Iceborne (51GB?)

Cyberpunk 2077 (109GB)

Yakuza 7 *ps5 digital upgrade(47GB)

Immortals Fenyx Rising (23GB)

Free space (365GBish)

Media: 230mb (Platinum screenshots, 2 4min vids)

Other: 91GB (?)

I'm curious how everyone else's console storage is.

Games & Apps - 3.37Gb

Media Gallery - 183.2Mb

Save Data - 104.9Mb

Other - 28.2Gb

I only have one game installed at a time on my PS5. Other according to the PS5 is:

“This storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used.”

So the more you have installed the bigger that reserve is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Games & Apps - 3.37Gb

Media Gallery - 183.2Mb

Save Data - 104.9Mb

Other - 28.2Gb

I only have one game installed at a time on my PS5. Other according to the PS5 is:

“This storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used.”

So the more you have installed the bigger that reserve is.

Yeah i noticed that, i probably am going to just keep what I'm currently playing (aside from Cyberpunk cus it took awhile to install)

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

Yeah i noticed that, i probably am going to just keep what I'm currently playing (aside from Cyberpunk cus it took awhile to install)

Just out of interest why aren’t you playing any PS4 games on your PS5? I’m the opposite, so far the only PS4 game I haven’t played on my PS5 was Steins;Gate 0 as it’s a VN and didn’t benefit from playing it on my PS5 and was already installed in my PS4.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Just out of interest why aren’t you playing any PS4 games on your PS5? I’m the opposite, so far the only PS4 game I haven’t played on my PS5 was Steins;Gate 0 as it’s a VN and didn’t benefit from playing it on my PS5 and was already installed in my PS4.

My ps4 pro is still plugged in, ps4 is hdmi 2, ps5 is hdmi 1. Conserve some space i guess. I may play Persona 5 Royal eventually on ps5. But yeah i just realized i have Iceborne installed on ps5. That's a ps4 game lol.

I really only would if theres a framerate upgrade or visual. To which Iceborne apparently has one according to some vids, as well as well Cyberpunk at least works most times on ps5, not that I've tried since day one lol

13 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

My ps4 pro is still plugged in, ps4 is hdmi 2, ps5 is hdmi 1. Conserve some space i guess. I may play Persona 5 Royal eventually on ps5. But yeah i just realized i have Iceborne installed on ps5. That's a ps4 game lol.

I really only would if theres a framerate upgrade or visual. To which Iceborne apparently has one according to some vids, as well as well Cyberpunk at least works most times on ps5, not that I've tried since day one lol

I had to retire my PS3 to under my bed except when I use it to make space. Even without a visual upgrade the decreased load times alone are worth playing PS4 games on the PS5. When I self boosted Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr the load times on my PS5 were half that of the PS4 load times. The Division also loaded excruciatingly slower on my PS4. Another game I played was Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 which is notorious for being buggy/glitchy. Another forum user had posted a lot of status updates about how many problems she ran into playing it. Either I got lucky and had almost no issues at all with it or playing it on my PS5 somehow got rid of nearly every issue with the game. The only potential problem I can see with PS4 games on a PS5 is running into bugs/glitches from not playing them on a PS4 but so far I haven’t had any issues with any of the games I’ve played.

14 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

I had to retire my PS3 to under my bed except when I use it to make space. Even without a visual upgrade the decreased load times alone are worth playing PS4 games on the PS5. When I self boosted Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor - Martyr the load times on my PS5 were half that of the PS4 load times. The Division also loaded excruciatingly slower on my PS4. Another game I played was Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 which is notorious for being buggy/glitchy. Another forum user had posted a lot of status updates about how many problems she ran into playing it. Either I got lucky and had almost no issues at all with it or playing it on my PS5 somehow got rid of nearly every issue with the game. The only potential problem I can see with PS4 games on a PS5 is running into bugs/glitches from not playing them on a PS4 but so far I haven’t had any issues with any of the games I’ve played.

Interesting to note. I dont think Persona 5 Royal suffers from load times on ps4 pro, i do know Iceborne has better load times on ps5, which is why I've installed it on there..

Hell, its amazing in itself just seeing some games that we thought had "fast" load times, and just now its like in hindsight slow lmao.

Did you hear about the supposed ps5/xbox series x/s  amd update thats supposed to roll out in an update ? seems like another new gen think that's just installed but not unlocked/activated yet which is weird.

The other folder gets bigger the more PS4 games you install. Trust me, had 80gb in other, so i did some testing, knocked it down to 40gb uninstalling stardew, monster sanctuary and remnant. Every time i install another PS4 game it goes back up way more than installing a PS5 game, i guess its something to do with their back compat system.

• Like 2

Console Storage (Ps5 Games Only)

Games & Apps - 55.50 Gb

Media Gallery - 0 Mb

Save Data - 1.77 Gb

Other - 12.68 Gb

Free Space - 597.3 Gb

Extended Storage (Ps4 Games Only)

Games & Apps - 1.96 Tb

Free Space - 2.65 Tb

Edited by KAdamsy1

6 minutes ago, OnlyCass said:

The other folder gets bigger the more PS4 games you install. Trust me, had 80gb in other, so i did some testing, knocked it down to 40gb uninstalling stardew, monster sanctuary and remnant. Every time i install another PS4 game it goes back up way more than installing a PS5 game, i guess its something to do with their back compat system.

i figured that makes the most sense. Considering in my case Iceborne is 50+, and Cyberpunk is 109GB, plus Yakuza 7(tho i did the free upgrade, so curious if its still using something in Other due to needing my ps4 disc to play the ps5 digital), so 2, MAYBE 3 games? 90gb isn't that bad then

1 hour ago, KAdamsy1 said:

SNIP

Extended Storage (Ps4 Games Only)

Games & Apps - 1.96 Tb

Free Space - 2.65 Tb

What do you use for Extended Storage?

For my PS4, I bought an external 2tb, split the case and put it in my PS4.

Bought an external for my gf and went to use it was a standard external on her PS4 and it just kept saying it's not recognized. Reformatted the drive etc and still nothing. Also bricked my PC and ruined her PS4 after that, wiped her saves etc because it got stuck in a loop and had to hard reinstall everything.

Now I'm scared of buying an extended drive for the PS5....
So yeah, which do you recommend?

Edited by OpenScars
Snippage

7 hours ago, OpenScars said:

What do you use for Extended Storage?

For my PS4, I bought an external 2tb, split the case and put it in my PS4.

Bought an external for my gf and went to use it was a standard external on her PS4 and it just kept saying it's not recognized. Reformatted the drive etc and still nothing. Also bricked my PC and ruined her PS4 after that, wiped her saves etc because it got stuck in a loop and had to hard reinstall everything.

Now I'm scared of buying an extended drive for the PS5....
So yeah, which do you recommend?

This is what i use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UNA1O0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i simply connected it to the ps4 at the time, then went through the menus (can't remember which ones ) and formatted it.

• Like 1

Games and Apps: 71.17GB.

Media Gallery: 1.21GB.

Saved Data: 7.58GB.

Other: 16.16GB.

The reason my Saved Data is so high is because I transferred my PS4 saves over to my PS5. I keep my PS4 games on an external hard drive that I have plugged into the back of my PS5. The Games and Apps section of my PS5 is all PS5 games. Right now it has Maneater, Bugsnax, Astro's Playroom, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sparkle Unleashed on there.

2 hours ago, KAdamsy1 said:

This is what i use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UNA1O0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i simply connected it to the ps4 at the time, then went through the menus (can't remember which ones ) and formatted it.

Thankyou.

it’s the same as my extended.

the one I got my gf was Western Digital... might’ve been a dodgy eBay page :/